Bandai ISS Space Suit - Extravehicular Mobility Unit - update 4 - 15/9/13

Hi,

This is the first time I've ever done a 'work in progress' so if I make any mistakes, or miss something out you'd like to know about, please let me know.

This kit isn't going to suit the purist kit builders out there as it can be built without painting or gluing. It has been designed to be more like a figure that can be posed - but I know some model makers have filled the areas around the joints and done a full paint/detailing job. I'm going to basically make it as the manufacturers suggest with some painting of the parts they recommend. I decided I wanted a simpler build after spending a year or so carefully making the Schlngmann LF 20/16 which can be found here. Online someone suggested it can be completed in about 4 hours but I've spent about that long just on the first few stages.

I discovered this kit fairly recently while looking generally for other space kits to build. I got back into kit building by building three Apollo 11 lunar modules from Revell and Dragon Models and a Hasegawa Space Shuttle with Hubble Telescope. I think I'd been looking at Revell's ISS but thinking I hadn't got anywhere big enough to display it. Anyway, because of the search terms I'd used the Space Suit appeared in Google's image search. I thought it looked pretty good and, looking on Amazon, I managed to find one that was fulfilled by Amazon.co.uk and it arrived 3 days later. Most of these kits seem to be sold and shipped from stockists in Japan.

On opening the box I discovered it was surprisingly full with a lot more parts than I was expecting.

I'll let the pictures do some of the talking now:

Box lid
01-ISS-Space-Suit_zps66d221ae.jpg

Box side 1
02-ISS-Space-Suit_zps30558b8d.jpg

Box side 2
03-ISS-Space-Suit_zps3c606891.jpg

Box contents - plus instruction manual and sticker set
04-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsf1c71d92.jpg

Instruction manual 1
05-ISS-Space-Suit_zpscca94da7.jpg

Instruction manual 2
06-ISS-Space-Suit_zps004bd466.jpg

Helmet 1 - the LEDs do work and are very bright. My kit came with batteries installed despite the information online stating otherwise
07-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsfdb92561.jpg

Helmet 2
08-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsa71f561d.jpg

Helmet 3
09-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsca86d20b.jpg

Head 1 - acrylic paints - the eyes are provided on the stickers set - other types of eyes are included
10-ISS-Space-Suit_zps82bd66a1.jpg

Head 2
11-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsc407ca30.jpg

Head 3 - assembled
12-ISS-Space-Suit_zps91e50b3c.jpg

Head and body 1
13-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsfd5b1d53.jpg

Head and body 2
14-ISS-Space-Suit_zpsf1ba864c.jpg

Head and body 3
15-ISS-Space-Suit_zps8240baa4.jpg

Head and body with start of back-pack plus helmet and lower body
16-ISS-Space-Suit_zps5cdeb451.jpg

So far it's been a fun build. The instructions are very easy to follow and the parts fit extremely well - no glue yet. There are rubberised parts which keep the moving sections together.

More next week (I hope)

Cheers,

Stix

Edit: Images now sorted

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

This looks very nice. What a great idea, adding the eyes on the decal sheet. Saves money not having to buy the Archer eyeball sheet !

Wasn't aware of this kit either, thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing more of the kit parts coming together.

Steve.

Cool, I've not seen a WIP for one of these before and I like your work on the head. I have the cheaper, not lighting up version which comes with a space-suited dog (!)

Will you be filling the joints? That's what put me off finishing mine properly - lots of work needed to re-sculpt the places where the knee and ankle joints fit together.

Cheers,

Will

Another space kit I've never heard of before!

Lovely work so far. One of the problems of the few astronaut kits that have appeared in the past is that they don't look right standing on a shelf - they should be floating in space, but that's difficult to reproduce down on Earth. At least for more than half a second before it hits the floor! Bandai have solved that problem by providing a stand that makes it look as if the astronaut has his feet in the 'golden slippers' restraints on the end of the manipulator arm. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one! :popcorn:

Hi Colin, Steve, Will and Gordon,

Yes I hadn't seen one of these before either. I'm pleased though because after finishing building the two LM kits with astronauts I did like the idea of making a larger astronaut, but the only kit I found was the Revell 1/8 one which, to me, didn't look particularly good.

Will - I don't think I have the patience or ability to do a good enough job filling around the joints. I'm quite enjoying building it as it is suggested. Many years ago I used to collect comic book figures - so the fact that it's a good figure that can be posed suits me. I'm pretty sure someone with more ability than I have will probably be able to make it into a Sandra Bullock figure - as per the Gravity film - I've only seen the trailer but it looks like she's on the end of the manipulator arm before it all kicks off.

I had seen some images of the version with the dog alongside this one.

Gordon - yes it does seem a good idea to use the base as they have.

Cheers,

Stix

Hi Colin, Steve, Will and Gordon,

Yes I hadn't seen one of these before either. I'm pleased though because after finishing building the two LM kits with astronauts I did like the idea of making a larger astronaut, but the only kit I found was the Revell 1/8 one which, to me, didn't look particularly good.

Stix

If you're talking about the astronaut stepping onto the Moon, then it's not bad but would need a fair amount of work to make it accurate.

However the 'Astronaut with MMU' is beyond redemption - all they've done is taken the figure from the large version of the Gemini EVA astronaut, which means the suit is completely wrong. Like putting the pilot from the 1/24 Spitfire at the controls of the Harrier.

Hi Gordon,

It was the astronaut stepping onto the moon that I saw in GeeDee Models in Nottingham. One of the assistants let me look inside the box and I realised it would be too much work for me to make it look like it should.

I have just looked online for the other kit you mentioned - I hadn't heard of it, but I see what you mean.

I've got Revell's 1:32 Apollo: Spacecraft & Interior to build at some point but the astronauts in the kit don't look too good either. I think I've seen somewhere that it's possible to get detailing sets for this kit - I just need need to find one before I start - although I don't think it will be for a while yet.

Cheers,

Stix

That's great Steve - thank you. Got it saved to my bookmarks. Going to cost me a bit for the astronauts, two detail kits and decals but it will be worth it. Got the original kit really cheap from Modelzone.

Cheers,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi Kallisti,

Thanks - I've got bit more done over the past couple of days and I'll try and upload some photos tomorrow if I get chance.

Hi Jessica,

Unfortunately I must have got an older version of the kit as it doesn't include the guitar, oh well......... ;-)

Cheers,

Stix

Hi all,

Got some work done on the legs. Rather than describing everything I thought I'd upload a series of photos showing step-by-step how the parts go together. Still no glue and the parts all fit together very nicely. I've tried to include photos that show how the rubberised parts fit inside.

Legs-01_zps45511361.jpg

Legs-02_zps2e5e914e.jpg

Legs-03_zps55d4920b.jpg

Legs-04_zps13f23a17.jpg

Legs-05_zps73aee69e.jpg

Legs-06_zpsfbc08276.jpg

Legs-07_zpsbb49ea02.jpg

Legs-08_zps28fa08f9.jpg

Legs-09_zps88fa6027.jpg

Legs-10_zps0e8843e2.jpg

Legs-11_zpsc7d86382.jpg

Legs-12_zps0b74c1bb.jpg

Legs-13_zps20d48274.jpg

Legs-14_zpsce50daf1.jpg

Legs-15_zpsbe9856a2.jpg

I have to say it is amazing how well all the parts fit together - it's a shame all kits aren't like this - the filling and sanding would be minimal (ignoring the fact that this kit moves and so all the moving joints would need a lot of work if someone wanted it to look like a proper finished figure!)

Please let me know if you would like any more details.

More over the weekend I hope.

Cheers,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi all,

A bit more progress - body and legs joined as well as the arms assembled and located in place. Still no glue and all parts fitting together well. I perhaps should have mentioned before that I made the decision to paint the metallic finish pieces rather than leave them with the plastic metallic finish they come in. I have been using Revell's steel, metallic acrylic.

01-body-and-arms_zpsb34f6c5d.jpg

02-body-and-arms_zps92c60256.jpg

03-body-and-arms_zps46e74f0e.jpg

04-body-and-arms_zps85f293d9.jpg

05-body-and-arms_zps8b3fe6b9.jpg

06-body-and-arms_zps36d4fb31.jpg

07-body-and-arms_zps33eed7ea.jpg

The arms go together in a very similar fashion to the legs (see the leg section post above).

08-body-and-arms_zps58706fe2.jpg

The only difference is the top section where the arms join to the shoulder.

09-body-and-arms_zpsb50f6b30.jpg

10-body-and-arms_zpsb2f1aa05.jpg

11-body-and-arms_zpsc23be2b9.jpg

I painted the inside of the hand Revell's matt light grey.

12-body-and-arms_zpsb8ab6355.jpg

13-body-and-arms_zps5508d05d.jpg

14-body-and-arms_zps2eb3a67f.jpg

15-body-and-arms_zpsfd7a9bc2.jpg

16-body-and-arms_zpsb9e20a8a.jpg

19-body-and-arms_zpsacbe8703.jpg

18-body-and-arms_zpsf44ae9d1.jpg

17-body-and-arms_zpsbbef8437.jpg

As ever let me know if there's anything about this build you'd like to know more about.

Cheers,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Right - time for another update. The helmet was next and then we had lights! There has been a bit of painting here and there but still no glue used.

01-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps47

02-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps84

03-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps35

04-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpsfc

05-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpsee

06-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpsaf

07-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps99

08-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps96

09-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpse8

10-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpscc

11-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps8e

12-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpsd1

13-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps08

14-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps5d

15-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpsa1

16-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zpsa6

17-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps14

18-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps02

19-Helmet-lights-backpack-and-tool_zps4c

if you do decide to make it in the way I am, it is a fun quick build but for all the proper kit builders out there I'm sure this wouldn't be enough of a challenge - but, as I mentioned before, I'm sure this could be developed into a pretty decent version by someone with a lot more skill and patience than I have.

Cheers,

Stix

I think this is a terrific build, it's so neat and tidy (which is important for outer-space stuff) and your paintwork is great. I'm also impressed with how good the stickers look, that was the thing which put me off buying this kit originally.

Cheers,

Will

Right - next bit is the base. I have to say I really like the way Bandai have designed the base. Not only does it provide an excellent way of showing off the astronaut but, in my opinion, it's quite an interesting feature in it's own right.

Still no glue involved but I have, as you'll see, painted the metal parts steel all over with some thinned gold highlights.

Anyway I'll leave it to the photos themselves.

01-Base_zps60049355.jpg

02-Base_zpsf4237e28.jpg

03-Base_zps2f16c05c.jpg

04-Base_zpsf35c574b.jpg

05-Base_zpsb8cd264a.jpg

06-Base_zpsc2d36155.jpg

07-Base_zps2296c5fc.jpg

08-Base_zps49edf4e5.jpg

Right. the next job is to apply the stickers and fit the figure to the base so the next set of photographs I'll post in the Ready For Inspection section.

Cheers,

Stix

• Like 1