1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25PU "Foxbat-C" by Kitty Hawk - released

Homebee

• 1 month later...

Without having the plastic in hand to compare exact shapes, I'd note that the sprues all look identical.  Two of the more obvious goofs - the turbines are still mirrored, and the forward fuselage contours appear to be identical (and wrong) - are still visible and unchanged.  So Occam's razor dictates that it's just the new nose sprue (and resin bits).

2 hours ago, ICMF said:

forward fuselage contours appear to be identical (and wrong)

For some reason I honestly didn't think it was a complete new tool, but it would of been nice... regarding this though, just how bad is it?? 

Depends on your tastes.

At the panel line in front of the windscreen, it *should* be fully round on the top and bottom.  Sort of o=o shaped (if you turn it sideways).  But the kit gets the curves wrong = and asymmetrical - so it has noticeable (though not really prominent) corners when it shouldn't.  More like (__).  And the flat sides extend further into the nose than they should, making the whole nose kind of slab sided.  Gabor posted some good pics in the original KH Foxbat thread that illustrate the issue better.

It's not miles away - it's better than a Starfix kit and it looks like a MiG-25, etc. etc., but I *can* make out the corners in the Cybermodeler sprue pics, which to me indicates that the plastic hasn't been changed.  It was arguably a bigger deal in the PDS kit though, since the net result was that the radome was the wrong shape and wrong angle, where the new nose in the PU may look closer.

TL;DR: it's not the worst error in the world and the kit is certainly buildable, but I'd wait a few months to see if ICM announce a two-seater for 2020.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ICMF said:

Depends on your tastes...

TL;DR: it's not the worst error in the world and the kit is certainly buildable, but I'd wait a few months to see if ICM announce a two-seater for 2020.

Thank you. I'll wait and hope :pray:

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25PU "Foxbat-C" by Kitty Hawk - released