favourite sci-fi as a kid.

ozz

As a very little kid it was 'CAptain Video and his Video Rangers' That was in about 1950....probably the first SF TV show. Can't remember bugger all about it! Then Startrek...of course. Phazers on Nonsense, Mr. Sulu!

I wasn't born until the mid 80's but a lot of my favourite Sci-Fi shows/films are older than me.

My life changed forever the first I saw 'Star Was: Empire Strikes Back'.

From the age of 10 to this current day, I still watch it on my birthday every year. I can't help myself! :)

Other favourites were:

Star Trek - Next Generation

Silent Running

Dark Star

2001 Space Odyssey

... Also, not sure if it is classed as Sci-Fi, but also loved Transformers.

Cheers,

Rob

I vaguely remember that! Wasn't the little boy actually the old man in the past...or something like that!! Can't remember what it was called though...?

Stormfrontmodels, I think you are right. Need to find it now. Probably rubbish, But....

Raystorm, Lie down in a dark room, you may remember....

I watched that Space Patrol episode. Not scary at all, 50 years later!

The background noises are evocative though, still like the 'In flight' noise.

Chadders mentioned The Invaders. I remembered that one last night. You never actually saw the aliens (I think) but the possibility was enough to thrill as they were supposed to be horrible.

Pete

Scarlet, Thunderbirds, UFO, Dr Who (Pertwee/Baker) and early Star Trek. Kinda lost interest since then...Star Wars on its first release was good and I liked Tron when it first came out too but all the sequel/prequel Trek/Star Wars stuff has left me cold I'm afraid.

Chadders mentioned Sapphire & Steel.

It was shown as a kids Teatime programme if I remember rightly.

They couldn't do that today, There would, no doubt, Be hundreds of complaints

About how it has traumatized little Emily.

If you can, watch the first series, set in a Railway station.

(It has a young Joanna Lumley in it, so it's not difficult)

You never see anything, It's all done with light & dark,

But bags of atmosphere & still quite spooky.

No one has mentioned Gerry Anderson's The Secret Service.

Though it only showed on a few regions.

And, there is a used copy of Star Fleet on Amazon for 14 quid.

If you fancy some nostalgia.

Pete

Oh and I forgot Ace of Wands on ITV in the early 70s... not strictly sci-fi but the lead did have a telepathic conection to the cute female assistant (who in real life ended up giving birth to Kate Beckinsdale...)

Oh and I forgot Ace of Wands on ITV in the early 70s... not strictly sci-fi but the lead did have a telepathic conection to the cute female assistant (who in real life ended up giving birth to Kate Beckinsdale...)

And the lead actor went on to become the pathologist in Taggart. No, not the sexy blonde one (that would have been a neat trick!) but an elderly grey-haired man.

I liked all of the Gerry Anderson puppet series, and spent my time trying to work out which Airfix or Revell kits had been cannibalised to make some of the different machines. I gather 'The Mole' was made from a couple of Revell Atlas ICBMs set atop and Airfix girder bridge... The earliest ones, though, were just before my time - I don't recall seeing many episodes of 'Supercar'

I was also a fan of 'Star Trek', 'The Invaders' (vastly superior to UFO)and, of course, 'Doctor Who'. (When somebody asks the question 'What were you doing the day Kennedy was shot?', I tell them I was watching the first episode of The Doc)

I enjoyed 'The Outer Limits' on the rare occasion that I was allowed to stay up late to watch it. Most of the episodes I saw later in life in reruns.

Stormfrontmodels, I think you are right. Need to find it now. Probably rubbish, But....

Raystorm, Lie down in a dark room, you may remember....

I watched that Space Patrol episode. Not scary at all, 50 years later!

The background noises are evocative though, still like the 'In flight' noise.

Chadders mentioned The Invaders. I remembered that one last night. You never actually saw the aliens (I think) but the possibility was enough to thrill as they were supposed to be horrible.

Pete

Ahh, 'The Invaders'....(cue nostalgic, sepia - toned memories, and Hovis advert music). As one of my friends pointed out, how DID a simple architect know Karate, how to fire any weapon under the sun, and gain the alien-detecting / strategic / tactical skills all of a sudden? (Then again, anytime film baddies pick a fight with a professional type-person, they seem to get their bottoms kicked...)

Blake's 7 was my favourite but really got into it after Blake and the Liberator were gone. There was also a cartoon series on BBC that seemed to go on forever! I think it was Ulysses 31 or something like that. Also not to forget Battle of the Planets fantastic stuff!

As a kid it was all Gerry Anderson's output from Fireball XL5 onwards. Don't remember Supercar, think that just predated me. Lot of other stuff there I remember too - surprised anyone else remembered Ace of Wands.

Was never into Doctor Who until Jon Pertwee came on the scene, then lost interest when he was replaced until the series restarted with Christopher Ecclestone.

Chadders mentioned Sapphire & Steel.

It was shown as a kids Teatime programme if I remember rightly.

They couldn't do that today, There would, no doubt, Be hundreds of complaints

About how it has traumatized little Emily.

If you can, watch the first series, set in a Railway station.

(It has a young Joanna Lumley in it, so it's not difficult)

You never see anything, It's all done with light & dark,

But bags of atmosphere & still quite spooky.

It originally aired in the 7 or 7:30 slot Mondays and Tuesdays on ITV if memory serves. The Secret Service aired in just 3 regions.

Marty...

And finally, Not a series, but I hope it rings a bell with someone.

An animated film about a young lad in the future.

Again, about all I remember is on one planet he ran into an old man with a metal plate riveted to his head!

And there were huge plants with gasbags attached in a swamp.

It was on for a couple of Christmas showings, maybe around 1970 ish, along with Nilssons, The Point.

Pete

Hello,

the film you are looking for is Les-Maítres du temps, directed by René Laloux and designed by the French artist and cartoonist Jean Giraud a.k.a. Moebius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Ma%C3%AEtres_du_temps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJqu1Q92Dhw

Cheers,Daniel :winkgrin:

Cheers, Marty.

Another memory failure.

Well. It was a long time ago.

Still worth another watch though.

Pete

I'm not saying subsequent repeats were not aired in tea time slot, but it had prime time weekday slot originally I don't but I think the would have been unlikely given the subject matter.

I have the DVD's, well worth getting. First story set in the time-shifting train station I always thought was by far the best.

The 'Space Patrol' DVD is too worth getting it is quite literally rammed with extras, I can't honestly think of another set that has as many quality extras. I also highly recommend ''Full Boost Vertical' 2 DVD set, Again I can't think of a better documentary about the making of a TV series, in this case 'Supercar'

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Hello,

the film you are looking for is Les-Maítres du temps, directed by René Laloux and designed by the French artist and cartoonist Jean Giraud a.k.a. Moebius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Ma%C3%AEtres_du_temps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJqu1Q92Dhw

Cheers,Daniel :winkgrin:

Aarrghh! I've just remembered what it's called as well :)

I STILL can't figure out how to post Youtube vids, the youtube tag doesn't want to work for me?

I loved the Tomorrow People. I remember watching Sapphire and Steel and being scared half to death. Gerry Anderson was a big influence with Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (my personal favourite) and Joe 90. I remember watching Space1999 and thinking it was great.

Does Red Dwarf count? Boy was that funny.

Growing up as I did just north of the Danish-German border I watched a lot of german television as they at the time had a lot better programs than the Danish. :winkgrin:

There I watched 'Star Trek', which of course was synchronised into german, wasn't called 'Star Trek' but 'Raumschiff Enterprise' and 'Bones' was called 'Pille' ! :lol:

When I years later for the first time watched 'Star Trek - Wrath of Khan' in English I was surprised as this was the first time I heard the original voices! :o

Ah the memories!

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

I watched Space:1999, Thunderbirds and Buck Rogers in South Africa, where these programs where dubbed into Afrikaans Fortunately, they also ran the original soundtrack on radio.

anthony

Really loved most of the ones mentioned, Star Trek, Babylon 5,V,Captain scarlet, etc. But i read earlier about a series set on the moon, which i thnk was called Star Cops. Plus, there was one set on a strange planet that had 26 hour days and had one of the actors from Knot's Landing in :shutup: :shutup: (i'm not admitting to ever watching it though, SWMBO made me honest), they were police officers i think. Anyway, really lked it.

Anyone else remember Timeslip?

I remember it. One image that always stuck in my mind was the research outpost at the South Pole in the far future of 1990. One of the things they were testing was a longevity drug, and the dosage for one woman (who appeared to be about 50) got screwed up and when they found her she looked her true age, well over a hundred.

The series is available on DVD but only in black & white.