favourite sci-fi as a kid.

ozz

Too many to choose, UFO, followed by Space 1999, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarley, Doctor Who, Blake's 7, land of the giants, lost in space, tomorrow people etc..

If anyone is interested there is a Gerry Anderson event that has just been announced by his son Jamie;

Andercon 2014 April 19-20th, Park Inn Hotel Heathrow.

More info: http://www.andercon.co.uk and https://www.facebook.com/events/162708550587089/

Ta,

Paul

I used to quite like Battle of the Planets too, although the stupid "filler" bits they added for western consumption were annoying. What was the name of that Thunderbirds Anime show? Thunderbirds 2087? Used to like that quite a bit :)

We used to have to watch TV with my nan while the olds were out painting the town red, and Star Trek (TOS) was the highlight of the evening that was otherwise uniformly depressing, being forced to watch old lady TV such as Corrie, Max Bygraves and such :S

I remember Battle of the Planets, mainly for the hairdo's on all the characters for some reason! And it was Thunderbirds 2086, so close! Here's the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zowhg6l9RUc (Also, can you embed Youtube vids in posts?)

Pretty much everything Anderson from Supercar thro' UFO, one grew up in conjunction with each series getting better and more expansive and adventurous. Also the Irwin Allen series were pretty influential during that golden age.

But the life changing moment was seeing 2001 on it's 1971 theatrical rerun, just a stunning movie and more than holds today.

Marty...

A couple of years ago our local cinema had "Thunderbirds Are Go!" on one Saturday morning, so myself and some friends went, and the place was packed! mainly with adults!

I also like Gerry Anderson's "Doppelganger/Journey to the Far Side of the Sun".

Some great effects, leading up to the UFO era.

Happy days :thumbsup:

Space 1999 and Fireball XL-5

Trevor

Well, thank God I'm not the only one who remembers Fireball XL5!

However I loathed Space: 1999 for its ridiculous premise (and anybody who says "It's only science fiction" gets a smack in the eye!

I though Space 1999 was ok for the first half of series 1.

After that it turned into really BAD sci-fi rubbish.

And yes, I remember Fireball XL5, - AND Supercar before that.....

But who remembers the terrible puppet series 'Space Patrol' that was made by Gerry Anderson's competitor, Roberta Leigh???

Roy.

I though Space 1999 was ok for the first half of series 1.

After that it turned into really BAD sci-fi rubbish.

Season 2 of 1999 had a new producer - the same guy who handled the last season of original Star Trek. Anybody see a connection?

Roy,

I remember watching Space Patrol.

It's on Youtube. I was amazed at how much I remembered too.

There was a BBC? series of Sci Fi in the sixties.

Sort of amazing tales.

About all I remember was in one episode the spacesuits had enormous flares.

And finally, Not a series, but I hope it rings a bell with someone.

An animated film about a young lad in the future.

Again, about all I remember is on one planet he ran into an old man with a metal plate riveted to his head!

And there were huge plants with gasbags attached in a swamp.

It was on for a couple of Christmas showings, maybe around 1970 ish, along with Nilssons, The Point.

Pete

Thank God Roy mentioned Space Patrol, that was the one I was going to put up and I didn't want to be the first....I also remember a serial on at the local cinema's in Australia (where I grew up) called King of the Rocket Men,but whether you could call that Sci-Fi I'm not too sure?...Just as an aside, we have had a Blackbird this Summer that has made a remarkably similar sound to the theme from Space Patrol....(spooky)....................Smudge

Okay, Bookmarked the website.

And found the episode I remember the most.

The Robot Revolution.

I must have been 9, But it was a behind the sofa moment!

Now I have to find it on Youtube!

Cheers

Pete

As a kid it was Star Trek or Dr Who for a TV series and my favorite Sci Fi film ( and still is one of my favorites ) `The Forbidden Planet` .

• Like 2

Babylon 5 was my fave as a teenager - you just had to love Londo and G'Kar!

Wish they'd go back and re-do all the effects, though. They haven't aged too well, especially the stuff from the first season.

Mike.

Roy,

I remember watching Space Patrol.

It's on Youtube. I was amazed at how much I remembered too.

There was a BBC? series of Sci Fi in the sixties.

Sort of amazing tales.

About all I remember was in one episode the spacesuits had enormous flares.

And finally, Not a series, but I hope it rings a bell with someone.

An animated film about a young lad in the future.

Again, about all I remember is on one planet he ran into an old man with a metal plate riveted to his head!

And there were huge plants with gasbags attached in a swamp.

It was on for a couple of Christmas showings, maybe around 1970 ish, along with Nilssons, The Point.

Pete

I vaguely remember that! Wasn't the little boy actually the old man in the past...or something like that!! Can't remember what it was called though...?

I vaguely remember that! Wasn't the little boy actually the old man in the past...or something like that!! Can't remember what it was called though...?

I remember it as well, and did find it on Wikipedia recently - can't remember what it was called as well! I did track the name down, but can't remember what I did now...

Thunderbirds of course, but favourite of the Supermarionette series was, and still is, Captain Scarlet. Always liked Joe 90 (we are the same age!). UFO and Space 1999. Loved the concept of UFO and the Eagles from Space. Acting and plots weren't much (any) better than the puppet series though. I think it was the proper models and big explosions that attracted me - still does for that matter.

Graham

Early loves were Thunderbirds, Stingray and does anyone remember a cartoon series called Marine Boy? Early Japanese Anime cartoon...

Then of course there was Dr Who (Pertwee era) and the Tomorrow People... the theme tunes of both were stunning aural explorations of the weird and wonderful world of electronic music!

In between were the various Irwin Allen series, favourite of which was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, although Penny from Lost in Space always had a place in my heart :) Also in Land of the Giants the scenes where the stewardess and the red-headed passenger were taped down to a microscope slide made my pre-adolescent self feel "funny" ;)

UFO was always a treat - finding it on the many different regional TV stations was always a problem though, it never had a proper "spot" on ITV, unlike Space 1999 in the mid 70s. Series 1 of S1999 was superb one week, dire the next but the whole of Series 2 was utter trash. Very sad.

ITV did some great stuff however, do you remember Timeslip? Children of the Stones was scary and not forgetting Changes, where everyone started attacking technological artefacts!

...and then came Blakes 7.. .wow what a space ship!!! Avon was just so cool and Jenna... mmmmm I was now in my mid-teens and things like that mattered, and of course not forgetting Leela in Dr Who... ahhh leather leotards... ahem, where was I?

Didn't watch much TV in the early 80s apart from Peter Davidson era Dr Who. This was viewed in the University TV rooms with like minded fans of Nyssa (Sarah Sutton)'s bum in tight fitting cords!

...and on that memory I will draw a veil over... :D

and when I did see any Battlestar Galactica it was garbage!

• Like 1

I grew up with Fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds. Lost it with Joe 90 as I was at an age when little kids were nothing but pests. Came back to the GA fold with UFO. I recall the film Thunderbirds Are Go showing at our local flea-pit, complete with a large FAB 1 on stage. Having watched the series on my parents' black-and-white TV it was a revelation to see the Thunderbirds craft in colour for the first time.

Dr Who of course, from the first episode, shown the same week that JFK was assassinated. (Wasn't me, I was only six).

Others that followed were Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, The Twilight Zone, The Invaders, Doomwatch...

Coo, nostalgia takes you back a bit.

Thank God Roy mentioned Space Patrol, that was the one I was going to put up and I didn't want to be the first....I also remember a serial on at the local cinema's in Australia (where I grew up) called King of the Rocket Men,but whether you could call that Sci-Fi I'm not too sure?...Just as an aside, we have had a Blackbird this Summer that has made a remarkably similar sound to the theme from Space Patrol....(spooky)....................Smudge

Lol!!

Yes, I remember Space Patrol! Ioved it! I've got it on DVD up there on the shelf along with Captain Scarlet ( the Anderson original - not that appalling CGI remake!!) and Thunderbirds!!. I think B5 stands out as one of the finest Sci Fi series ever. It certainly wasn't shy of dealing with some very ugly subjects. One of my fave episodes was "Deathwalker". Sarah Douglas was just pure evil!! I absolutely HATED the original 80s Battlestar Galactica. The rebooted version is an absolute masterpiece! The only downside (in my view) was the new Starbuck. I do not think that was a change for the better. A remarkably unlikeable character (even for one of the "good" guys), I'm afraid she just irritates me intensely!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

ooh for me growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, has to be Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers to name a few. Have them all on DVD and still watch them regularly ... sad but true!