favourite sci-fi as a kid.

ozz

Yep! I remember the Champions! have a feeling that format was copied by the Tomorrow People! who remembers that?, but give me THUNDERBIRDS and STAR TREK! any day! wasn't that fussed with space 1999! found it a bit surreal! and it got even more so as the series went on!,

UFO was o`k-ish! and Dr Who of course! those yeti`s where scary! and I vaguely remember another BBC series set on a moon base! anyone know what that was?.

think i was a bit to young for the tommorow people, but i did see the odd episode, Dr Who was a regular viewing, also went to the Dr Who exhibition in blackpool. late seventys again i think.my sister was terrified.

dont remember the other moon base series.

Growing up as I did just north of the Danish-German border I watched a lot of german television as they at the time had a lot better programs than the Danish. :winkgrin:

There I watched 'Star Trek', which of course was synchronised into german, wasn't called 'Star Trek' but 'Raumschiff Enterprise' and 'Bones' was called 'Pille' ! :lol:

When I years later for the first time watched 'Star Trek - Wrath of Khan' in English I was surprised as this was the first time I heard the original voices! :o

Ah the memories!

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, UFO ahh Gabrielle Drake, Lost in Space most of the Irwin Allen stuff although I was never a fan of Land of the Giants, I always thought The Champions was more for grown ups, remember the Tomorrow people too.

Glen.

My first one was Blake's 7. Loved it back in the day. Looks a bit tacky by today's standards though :S I think Star War was the film that got me truly hooked though :)

• Like 2

Well, Doctor Who firstly (Jon Pertwee), UFO, Space 1999, Star Trek, Star Trek The Annimated series, all about the same time, so I can't say any of them was a favourite. The early to mid 70's was a great period for Sci Fi. On TV we had such a choice, The animated version of The Fantastic Voyage, Planet Of The Apes, Saphire And Steel, Time Tunnel, Lost In Space, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Joe 90, Fireball XL5, Land Of The Giants........you had to love Sci Fi back then,

Star Wars was obviously the biggest thing ever, being 6 yrs old on it's release. On the small screen, there was a whole load of stuff to enjoy. I remember watching shows like Space 1999, UFO and Blakes 7. I may not have fully understood what was going on, but the ships were cool. :)

Thunderbirds was my absolute favourite, though. The Dinky TB2 was probably my most played with toy, until all the SW stuff came out. After the success of SW, we also had Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers (Wilma Deering... mmm :wub: ).

Strangely enough, I don't actually recall watching the original Star Trek series. Again, I had the Dinky Enterprise (with the opening shuttlebay and the disc firing saucer) and I may have seen little bits from individual episodes, but not much else. In fact, it was only recently that I watched a few remastered episodes on the Horror Channel (Doomsday Machine and Tholian Web, for example).

A couple of other shows that I used to love, originated in Japan. The animated series Battle of the Planets and Star Fleet, which was another puppet/model type show, which aired on Saturday mornings. I still plan to build both the Pheonix and the X-Bomber from those 2.

Never really got in to Dr Who. I do remember the Champions, though and yes; Ms Bastedo was stunning.

The Tomorrow people!! oh wow......

I think the pre eminent sci fi show was Dr Who, (used to hide behind the couch when the cybermen came on)...

But I remember Space 1999, Blakes 7 and Buck Rogers...

for ten points... what was the show with the 'wilberforces'??? (was it the Tommorow people?)

steve

For me it would be Star Trek, SeaQuest DSV and 2032 (still watch DSV as have it on DVD) and Space Above And Beyond (what I used to call Top Gun in space).

Oh yeah, also Space Precinct and Air wolf (not sure Air wolf counts, but what the ell, i'll throw it up there)

Very fond memories of spending many an evening watching Star Trek The Next Generation with my mum. RIP mum, love you.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

As a kid in the mid sixties, for me it has to be Stingray, (very early crush on Marina), Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (will not publish what I thought about the Angels, at that age), and then we had UFO and Space 1999 with real people?

And then the world changed completely for me during that time frame when Star Trek arrived on prime time BBC.

I hate to sound like my very elderly father, but, wow didn't us kids have it good back in the day?

Great thread

Cheers

• Like 1

Where do you start? Being a child of the 60's and 70's I'd have to go with Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Joe90 but I was also a fan of the Land of the Giants, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Tomorrow People and the Champions. Above all I remember rushing home to watch Dr Who and Star Trek.

As I got older UFO and then Blakes7 held my attention (can't think why) :whistle: , Buck Rogers (Wilma Deering - need I say more)?

My kids aren't sci-fi fans although they love the Crimson Midget...

...I didn't realise what a sci-fi fan I was until I answered this post.

Wez

Edited by Wez

I used to quite like Battle of the Planets too, although the stupid "filler" bits they added for western consumption were annoying. What was the name of that Thunderbirds Anime show? Thunderbirds 2087? Used to like that quite a bit :)

We used to have to watch TV with my nan while the olds were out painting the town red, and Star Trek (TOS) was the highlight of the evening that was otherwise uniformly depressing, being forced to watch old lady TV such as Corrie, Max Bygraves and such :S