This is the re-issue of the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster with new markings and the option of the FN-82 rear turret allowing you to build this version; TW880, No.35 Squadron, Lancaster B Mk.I (FE). As I understand it, Lancasters serving in the Far East were painted white to keep the air frames cooler in the hot climate and to improve paint durability. (but I could be wrong).

No comments on the build it was the same as it was 20+ years ago. The white is a mix of white, flat earth & grey, the night black is Semi-gloss black and a little hull red. Tamiya "AS" lacquer paints decanted and airbushed.

1-48AvroLancaster028.jpg1-48AvroLancaster030.jpg1-48AvroLancaster021.jpg1-48AvroLancaster019.jpg

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 20

That's one variant I've always wanted to do - a Tiger Force Lancaster. I think I'd do mine as a Mk.VII with the forward-mounted Martin Turret. It does look great in the white over black scheme - great job!

Regards,

Jason

Very nice work. I'm interested why you did the white mixture you did? To what purpose for what result.

Great build there. Never seen that scheme before, What's the story behind it?

As mentioned above, the RAF planned to contribute Lancaster heavy bombers to the efforts against Japan; they were codenamed Tiger Force, but weren't ready before the end of the war.

That's a great looking model Bill, well built with an unusual but very realistic finish - a model to be proud of. However it's unfortunate that Tamiya's instructions tell you to fit the small "scoops" which are just outboard of the fuselage and on the underside of the leading edge of the wings the wrong way round! Rather than being intakes or scoops, they are actually exhausts for warm air inside the cabin so the outlets should be facing rearwards. You're not the first, nor I'm sure the last to do what Mr Tamiya tells you to do - I saw two superb Lancs at Telford last year which had the same fault.

Regards

Max

• Like 1

Bill,

Nice build and great finish. A Tiger Force Lanc is definitely on my 'to do' list for an Airfix Lanc in due course.

regards,

Martin