Yet another help with new compressor topic!

Beardylong

Can't hold off any longer - have models to paint - have to get myself a compressor!! Had some really useful feedback from the forum about why the canned air was not working so thanks for that - hopefully I can get some more help navigating round the strange world of compressors.

There appear to be lots of comment and horror stories out there :shrug:, so here's what I've found so far:

Badger BA1100 @ £89.99 from Folly Models via eBay & other places. Badger's a good brand & I have a Badger airbrush. Has a tank. There's also a non tank version (BA1000) @ around £75.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BA1100-BADGER-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-WITH-WATER-TRAP-AIR-TANK-SUIT-IWATA-/310710628029?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item4857cbeebd

Little-Jet c/o Paul at Little Cars - but doesn't have a tank and I thought that a tank was really important or the motor's running every time you pull the trigger. Also seems a bit dear @ £130.

Little-Tank c/o Little Cars - with a tank but seems quite a beast and a bit dear @ £198.

AS18-2 c/o airbrushheaven.co.uk @ £46.99. No tank. Have seen this model in various places.

http://www.airbrushheaven.co.uk/product.php?product_id=664

AS186 c/o airbrushheaven.co.uk @ £69.99 with a tank.

Now before you all jump down my throat, I do realise that you gets what you pays for, and I understand engineering quality etc, but it does seem to be pretty random out there.

Any help would be most appreciated and then I can go and sell one of the kid's bikes and buy a compressor for me!!! I'm sure they won't mind :winkgrin:.

Thanks,

Andrew

The Badger & AS models are all of Chinese origin, build & quality control just aren’t the same as compressors which originate from Sparmax & that’s why they are considerably cheaper. Sit one beside the other & the difference is quite apparent, take them both to bit’s & have a look at the guts & the difference is even more obvious (piston seal design, quality of the anti corrosion coatings….). Performance between similar Chinese & Sparmax models is comparative, it’s reliability & longevity that you pay the extra for.

If you plump for a Chinese model, the models without tanks are generally more reliable – there is less to fail & quite a few tanked Chinese compressors have motors which are specified far too closely to the compressors requirements, resulting in struggling & even stalling before the tank reaches cut off pressure.

The prices don’t seem that random, the AS Chinese are the cheapest, the Badger’s are slightly dearer as they are Chinese units with Badger branding & the dearest ones are significantly better than either AS or Badger…..

Edited by Jetblast

Thx Jetblast - Paul from Little Models gave me a similar message directly. Will take a look at your site.

Just need to work on the justification!

BTW, if I wanted to upgrade from my hardly used Badger 200 suction feed brush, what would you recommend? I think I'd prefer a cup feed and also I reckon I may prefer the feel of a double action. I can always keep the Badger as a 2nd/spare or sell it on eBay.

Cheers,

Andrew

Meant to say, Jetblast, to tank or not to tank, that is the question .....

The AS 182 is fine for your first compressor. I've had mine for about 5 years now and still does the job.

As for the airbrush a double action gravity feed will be nicer and easier to use. Again, the £20-30 ones on ebay are fine.

If you dont want to spend too much money, that is definitely the way to go and you will be able to produce a spray job as good as anyone on here.

The trick is how you use it and how quickly you learn.

Not trying to do any of our illustrious members out of any coin but, have you thought about a small "commercial" type. I have a Tiger Airmaster that's got a 24L tank. They cost less than £140 from Machine Mart. If noise isn't a problem, because they are a bit loud when filling, you can't go far wrong with them. Whilst mine hasn't exactly had a hammering, I've had it for nearly fifteen years and it hasn't missed a beat. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tiger

BTW, if I wanted to upgrade from my hardly used Badger 200 suction feed brush, what would you recommend? I think I'd prefer a cup feed and also I reckon I may prefer the feel of a double action. I can always keep the Badger as a 2nd/spare or sell it on eBay.

Meant to say, Jetblast, to tank or not to tank, that is the question .....

There's quite a bit of choice out there with airbrushes, depending what you are looking for & what the budget is, Neo CN, H&S Ultra, Iwata Revolution, H&S Evolution & Iwata Eclipse amongst others are all worth consideration...

Regards tanks, the main benefits;

Pulsation at the airbrush is virtually non existent, the tank acting as a "buffer",

The tank assists in cooling the air coming from the compressor & most moisture will be condensed in the tank before even reaching the moisture filter,

Compressor operation only occurs when the tank requires air & not every time you press the trigger. Some users find switching/operation at every trigger press quite irritating / distracting, but on the same hand it doesn't bother other users...

The downsides of a tank are the added cost & weight/bulk.