Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire

That's beautiful, and a great photo as well. Daylight kill photos, better to wait for the evening (or get up before dawn ;)).

Kallisti, how did you remove that hatch?

Edited by somnas

Thanks guys - more coming very soon - bit busy at the moment. Kallisti, I posted earlier about the probelms I had with the tamiya decals... I used a scalpel to put loads of holes into each decal then bedded them down with microsol... it's the best I'm going to get. I may use a scalpel to cut along the outside edge and use a tiny bit of weathering - but I'll see..

Hi PC2012 - been watching you progress with this one and think i should finally take the opportunity to post, its a super build mate, was really impressed with the Alclad finish you got on your starfighter and even more impressed with your weathering efforts here - keep up the inspirational work!

Cheers, Stu

Hi PC2012 - been watching you progress with this one and think i should finally take the opportunity to post, its a super build mate, was really impressed with the Alclad finish you got on your starfighter and even more impressed with your weathering efforts here - keep up the inspirational work!

Cheers, Stu

I have been saying it to him for ages... :winkgrin:

It looks so real:

bi1_zps68914761.jpg

:gobsmacked:

Edited by LT Motta

That's beautiful, and a great photo as well. Daylight kill photos, better to wait for the evening (or get up before dawn ;)).

Kallisti, how did you remove that hatch?

Drilled the original out and used a square file to get the tab at the top then built a replacement from thin plastic card. I packed the area behind the hole with epoxy putty, suitably shaped to accept the accumulator trolley plug.

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone for all your inspiring comments. I'n in the process of glueing everything together now, with one or two touch-up's. So I probably won't post until I'm finished.... So keep a lookout on the RFI forum! It's been a long build (I started last june, even though I only started the WIP thread in August). Hopefully the final finsh will turn out okay. I'll make a long list when it's on the RFI forum but I just want to say a massive thank you for all the help and encouragement I've received on here........................ THANK YOU :)

• Like 2

I know I said I wouldn't be posting here but I took one photo this morning to check the colour of the new parts against the rest of the aircraft and to see what the grab handle looked like. It's amazing how much more you can see in photos. Things that look fairly good when you do them, often do not look so good once you take a picture... anyway.... definitely the last picturs on the WIP forum :)

aer1_zpsb768694b.jpg

• Like 1

DIsaster! - I glued the canopy... and thought is was pushed too far back.... tried to release it and.......

canopy_zpseb8d87d4.jpg

If anyone has any ideas... I would be glad to hear them please..... Does anyone think I would have any luck writing to Tamiya?

Lost the handle as well................ :(

Hi, mate...

Here some help:

tutorialVacuoForm.jpg

Legend:

1 - canopy (glue the broken one), Blu tak, stable support;

2 - transparent acetate sheet, distance of 20 centimeters, heat source;

3 - warmed transparent acetate sheet, push down firmly,

4 - hold for 10 seconds;

5 - cut the edges as required;

6 - new part!!!

And check this out also:

http://forum.plastibrasil.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4568

You will find above a really useful video!

Google translator can help you here:

http://www.spmodelismo.com.br/howto/am/canopi.php

• Like 3

Thanks guy's - well these things happen... I'll just be super careful next time. LT - thanks for all the info but I really am a rubbish builder - I couldn't do all that. I've ordered a new one. I can paint alright but am in awe of those people that can scratchbuild high detail... anyway while I wait for the canopy, I'm finishing off smail details like the levers and doors on top of the wing and the rear view mirror. I'm getting a new barracuda canopy handle (should be Monday) At least I can hope to make a better job of that.. I wasn't that pleased with the last one.

This happened with my Revel Meteor f.mk.4 Broke clean in half. It was then I learned they dont make em like they used too. Thin accurate canopies = easy to cock up.

I am more used to old kits which are normally thicker but made out of much better quality plastic than modern kits.

;)

I would like to see you make the old Classic 1/32 Revell Mk1 Spitfire. I have fond memories of making that when I was a kid. I think it was in Tan plastic too

Cheers Rob :)

• 5 weeks later...

Well it's been weeks since I've done any modelling, as you can see by the dust on the aircraft! (even though I kept it covered. Work has been full on, so I haven't had time... until this weekend :) I took photo's to check the colour of the new canopy, I think it looks okay. I've got eveything else ready, so just a case now of sticking everything together. I should have it finshed by the weekend. It's only taken me a year :) ......

newc1_zps748b702b.jpg

newc3_zpsd962449b.jpg

newc2_zpsfc61a090.jpg

newc4_zps0cd93b6b.jpg

• Like 7

That paint job is amazing!

Sean

I couldn't agree more - in fact the whole thing is pretty amazing! Excellent work all round!!

Hi, mate...

Here some help:

tutorialVacuoForm.jpg

Legend:

1 - canopy (glue the broken one), Blu tak, stable support;

2 - transparent acetate sheet, distance of 20 centimeters, heat source;

3 - warmed transparent acetate sheet, push down firmly,

4 - hold for 10 seconds;

5 - cut the edges as required;

6 - new part!!!

And check this out also:

http://forum.plastibrasil.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4568

You will find above a really useful video!

Google translator can help you here:

http://www.spmodelismo.com.br/howto/am/canopi.php

Must try this myself- have a few builds almost runied by canopy issues.

Thanks for sharing