1/48 Czech Model Ryan FR-1 Fireball +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Hi all...build #2...the Ryan FR-1

Box shot...

004_zpsa267f1fa.jpg

Sprues, vac canopies and free Squadron booklet of its operational history, so some good references here

005_zps57a0bed7.jpg

Similar to the XFR2 I'm also doing (and I think there are common parts - so a parallel build makes sense)

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Fireball and the Dark Shark. I picked up both kits secondhand from the New England Air Museum a couple of years back and have been too timid to start them so your builds should be interesting.

Michael

Looking forward to this one too!

• 1 month later...

Time to get on with this! A similar bird to the F2R I'm also building except that a Wright R-1820 replaces the turbo-prop. So, same processes as the F2R - all fuselage and wing pieces have been separated from the sprues and sanded.

003_zps2bf5c348.jpg

I then got the scalpel and razor saw out and started sawing resin. The wheel wells (nose and wing) were done along with the cockpit floor. Trim is better than my efforts on the F2R sh fit may need less Dremel work

004_zps463d6cc4.jpg

005_zpsb21d77c3.jpg

I also started on the Wright Cyclone. All resin had been washed and primed. The work is a little fiddly with all nine cylinders needing to be built up. A quick dry-fit showed that, un-trimmed, the engine won't fit inside the cowling. So I trimmed the heads for each cylinder - it's better but will need more sanding.

006_zps48a85e53.jpg

007_zpsbe4dbc9f.jpg

008_zps3547dc0e.jpg

009_zps72f52f85.jpg

010_zpsc87277b8.jpg

I will spray the green and black for the cockpit bits later and start getting that together. Thanks for looking

Arrr resin dust!!! Don't you just want to role in it and play with the stuff?

With this build you well more or less know where all the pit falls are, engine looks nice!

Be good to see the two together.

Thanks Rich...lovely stuff isn't it (not!)? I can already see a couple of tweaks that should make this build quicker - the turbo-prop nose (which was a pain due to no locating information) and the exhausts. Nose weight is a problem and I think I may employ a clear piece of sprue as a rear support - I'm not going to fuss about trying to fit weights in - the FR-1 is considerable shorter up front

Thanks Les! A little bit of progress. I painted up the cockpit - the detail and everything else is exactly as the XF2R, so I didn't take any detailed pics.

Having had a lot of fettling to do last time, I did it all in the prep for this one and so the cockpit fell into place - practice makes perfect?

002_zps617ad362.jpg

Out with the Dremel for the wing wheel wells and once again I knew where the fit was iffy - they were CA'd and clamped in place

001_zpsf28129cd.jpg

I had a lot of problems with the fuselage/wing fit on the XF2R, so decided to fit the bottom wing first before adding the top. The rear joins need some light sanding (under the fillet to the fuselage) but better done now that later as I did before. I also added the nose well into the bottom wing this time

003_zps2e163caa.jpg

The fuselage halves were glued once the cockpit was set. I'm not adding weights to this (there really is no room unlike the XF2R) and will need some clear sprue as tail support. Again, In knew where the dodgy fit was (especially around the tail-pipe) and prepared it better this time. It has been filled and sanded since this pic.

004_zpsb1062f35.jpg

Lastly I glued the bottom wing in place and have left to set. I will glue the top wings next and lastly the resin radiators - doing it the other way round gave me a lot of grief.

005_zpscae8451f.jpg

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Short update after the Dark Shark...

I got the cockpit into the fuselage along with the nosewheel well and glued them up. The fit is generally better by glueing the lower wing in place and then the upper wing after...I think the process is made much easier by leaving off the resin intakes to the wing leading edge which gave me so much grief on the F2R (see later pic below!)

001_zps05b64df1.jpg

All well and good. I even had a trial fit of the engine to the firewall and with the cowling in place and all looked OK...until I went up yesterday evening, picked up the engine and found that one of the cylinder heads was missing!

004_zpsb7d512d6.jpg

Czech Model gives you one spare cylinder pot but no spare head! I had a quick trawl of the den and resigned myself to missing the GB deadline - I immediately added a Vector resin R-1820 to my Telford list. However, I went up tonight and spent 15 minutes on hands and knees and lo! I found the errant cylinder head and so CA'd in place again and breathed a sigh of relief!

Once the underside and wing joints had been filled and sanded, I then went to the intakes. Poorest fit of the kit and I can now see why I had so much trouble with the F2R. They just don't fit. I trimmed the ends and the flooded the gaps with CA which I will sand down.

005_zpsfce8e3f5.jpg

I also started work on the vac cockpit canopy. I have three of these... a good job as I cracked the spare from the F2R so this was one of the last two! Unlike a lot of vac canopies, this is quite thick, so the emphasis is not so much on deforming the canopy as cracking it while cutting. You will need a VERY sharp blade and about 5-6 passes just to get to a point where you can gently snap the piece away.

006_zps22165b25.jpg

Now I am back on track, the aim is to concentrate on this, as I am way this weekend which is a loss of modelling time. Thanks for looking

looking nice!

Lucky you found the missing cylinder head…….

Andy 1 - Carpet Monster 0 :thumbsup:

For a while I thought you may have been getting ready for WhatIf III with the Stuka wheel next to the wee beasts engine! :D

looking nice!

Lucky you found the missing cylinder head…….

Andy 1 - Carpet Monster 0 :thumbsup:

For a while I thought you may have been getting ready for WhatIf III with the Stuka wheel next to the wee beasts engine! :D

Damn straight I was lucky! Not often I beat the carpet monster, Rich. You may have noticed I like to 'parallel build' :banghead:

Time waits for no-one...I'm conscious of the date creeping up on me here!

Got the leading edge intakes CA'd in and then filler applied. The leading edges generally also need a tidy. The turtledeck has been painted Humbrol 33.

001_zps9d2ccc7b.jpg

I finished trimming the canopy - it's in a rough dry-fit state here but looks much better than the outline Czech Model would have you fit it according to the cutting guide lines

002_zps2189163e.jpg

The gas bottle and its piping were CA'd in place after painting

005_zpsf1ff5f01.jpg

After a final sanding, the canopy was clamped in place using Gator Grip and left to dry. Once dried, filler was applied to the windscreen to fair it in and then sanded to profile

006_zps4ee7665c.jpg

The resin flap actuators were trimmed and the CA'd in place. Very fiddly and with huge potential to ping off into the maw of the carpet monster!

007_zpse8148181.jpg

I cleaned up the resin wheels and also the scissor links to all three undercarriage legs and then fitted those ready for paint

008_zpsb1ced70d.jpg

Whilst the intakes had been sanded down, the canopy was sprayed an undercoat of black and then the main body was ready for priming. I am keeping the engine off until after painting as I want the firewall to be GSB. I have dry-fitted the engine and cowl and it SHOULD fit!

The gear housing was given an initial coat of Light Gull Grey

003_zpsa271874f.jpg

The ignition loop was added from copper wire, bent around some 10mm perspex rod and then CA'd in place

004_zps8e9f6f50.jpg

Then 18Nr individual push rod tubes were fashioned and CA'd in place. Very fiddly indeed!

009_zps34ab4dc4.jpg

She is sat in my garage under an initial coat of primer. She will get a final inspection and a rub down with wet 1500 grade paper ready for the GSB on Wednesday-ish. Thanks for looking

Time waits for no-one...I'm conscious of the date creeping up on me here!

You're not wrong there, Im still stuck away with work, and won't get home till late Friday night........I still have lots to do!!

Gee it's coming along well, I do like the engine detailing, well done.

You just need to sacrifice other odd bits of plastic to the carpet monster, that should keep it happy and away from this build! :D

You just need to sacrifice other odd bits of plastic to the carpet monster, that should keep it happy and away from this build! :D

Thanks Rich - the carpet has had plenty over the years mate!