Dragon 1/72 Apollo Lunar Module (first model in 20 years!)

Well here you go guys. After a 20 year modelling hiatus I have returned to the fold. I bought a 1/72nd Dragon Saturn V (pre built) from Norwich ModelZone and decided it needed a LM.

I came across this fantastic community and quite frankly fell back in love with the hobby.

The LM comes from the Dragon Lunar Approach Kit (I will get around to the CSM later) and comes complete with the parts to make the legs in the the stowed and deployed configurations (the instructions and the kit is only meant to be built up as stowed) so I thought I would have a go and enabling it to use both. It can then be displayed outside of the Saturn or live in it's hanger atop the SIVB

Well here are my (by the standards of the genius on this site) inept efforts. But I'm really pleased with it and most importantly...... I'm a modeller again :thumbsup:

Legs Stowed

9561324587_7df0f8136b_b.jpg
LM Stowed 2 by blackmme, on Flickr

Legs Deployed

9561324873_27fd134206_b.jpg
LM5 Deployed by blackmme, on Flickr

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme
  • Like 2

HI,MIKE, really nice to see some real space modelling on here,your lem,looks brill,how did you find the dragon kit,have researched a mission?or is it just a generic lander,Good plan for showing it attached to the cm,you dont see a lot like that?,cant wait,

So is this just a passing through of modelling,real space or is it an intrest?just wondering..anyway nice job.

cheers Don

HI,MIKE, really nice to see some real space modelling on here,your lem,looks brill,how did you find the dragon kit,have researched a mission?or is it just a generic lander,Good plan for showing it attached to the cm,you dont see a lot like that?,cant wait,

So is this just a passing through of modelling,real space or is it an intrest?just wondering..anyway nice job.

cheers Don

Thank you so much for the praise, I have seen your work and I am in awe of your models!

Interesting question on the Dragon kit. The fit of the parts is fantastic it's just that especially around the legs I don't think it is terribly accurate. But I enjoyed it that's the main thing for me now (the last time I made models I ended up suffering from it rather than enjoying it). It's LM5 as much as possible I went off internet references in the main rather than the rather bland Dragon painting instructions. The problem is that even over the last 8 weeks prior to launch cladding was being added / removed (must have been interesting on the config control board).

So I guess the only truly definitive references are those of her on the moon but due to the environment colours are muted and accentuated dramatically.

Most of the Kapton colours I based on my own photo's of LM2 and LM9 taken during visits to the Smithsonian and KSC. But I am aware that they have been restored and don't really seem to reflect the appearance of a flown LM.

I guess what I am saying is, she is good enough for me! :D

Space and space history is an absolute passion of mine, I impulse bought the Saturn V and now I am chuffed (I know it's not super accurate but it's darn impressive and to me achingly beautiful) it has an LM, I have modelling back in my life.

I have a load of Space history to catch up on. So hopefully the first of many.

Regards Mike