Boeing 717

Hello,

Is there a conversion available for the minicraft md-82 to make it into a 717?

Thanks in advance

Zeb

I don't know if there is a conversion kit for the 717, but you can buy a FULL B717 kit from contrails (seems to be a very good kit!). The only thing, there are no decals with the kit, and not many decals available (Hawaiian and Boeing H livery....) I would like to suggest you custom made decals for a Volotea version (the soon-to-be-only-European-operator of the B717) :) (I flew with them btw!) :)

It looks like i could do it without buying anything.

The Ozmods kit has been discussed before:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914780-ozmods-717/

Jessica has reviewed the Contrails kit:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=6584

The general view seems to be that the best B717 is by Pas Models:

http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=7550

Final suggestion - go to nearest library, find dictionary, look up word "research".

how??

By giving the fin a bit of height (will look it up) remove the protruding things on the back of the engines, shortening the darned thing and finally using the flat tail cone.

Final suggestion - go to nearest library, find dictionary, look up word "research".

Hi David, don't you think this a little uncalled for? You were willing to take the time to give Zeb some pointers, so why have a go at him for asking the question here? This seems like a pretty good place to ask that sort of question.

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi David, don't you think this a little uncalled for? You were willing to take the time to give Zeb some pointers, so why have a go at him for asking the question here? This seems like a pretty good place to ask that sort of question.

Andrew

Could not agree more!

Really uncalled for!

• Like 1

By giving the fin a bit of height (will look it up) remove the protruding things on the back of the engines, shortening the darned thing and finally using the flat tail cone.

I'm fairly sure the engines would need more work than that. The BR715 on the 717 was a lot broader than the JT8D on the MD80 series.

Nothing filler can't do :-P

Engines look quite different.

Br-715 dimensions:

Fan Diameter: 1,470 millimeter (58 inch)
Length: 3.73 meter (147 inch)

And

JT8D

• Fan tip diameter: 39.9–49.2 in
  • Length, flange to flange: 120.0–154.1 in
Edited by Vesa Jussila

Hmm, maybe it would be wise to get those engines then.

The 717's wing is nearly identical to the DC-9-30. The MD-80 wing is quite different. In addition to all the other kits and conversion items listed in this thread Bra.Z also offers an extended fin.

One thing to consider if you want to convert the Airfix/Fly DC-9 is that the wing is moved aft to compensate for the engines' greater weight. This is not as easy a task to accomplish as it seems on the surface.

Zeb,If you want some pics then we do have a 717 walkaround.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234919990-boeing-717-md-95/Julien

Thanks Julien that is very helpful, Jess, I will check out the Braz website.

I have all the different 717 kits and conversions, and hands down the PAS kit is the winner, but not cheap,

Doing your own conversion depends on your talent, and the engines are the hardest part of that conversion,

Using a Minicraft MD80 is probably a quite hard way to do it as you need do multiple changes to the fuselage, firstly by taking out a section of fuselage at the wing root to accommodate the smaller wing chord of the 717 to shorten the whole thing you also need to change the wing root fairing, which is quite different from the MD80 to 717, then the fuselage needs to shotened fore and aft to get the correct length with the wing root fairing in the correct place, as you say adjusting the height of an MD80 fin would give you the 717 fin, atthough the purists found the Minicrat MD80 fin to be a bit off in a few areas, so probably better to use the Braz MD 87 fin.

As Jessica pointed out the wings on a MD80 are very different, although the original wing is in there somewhere, you would probably need a DC9 wing to place over it to get the right starting point for your cuts, the make your own undercarriage holes if you want it to be gear down.

The easier start is a DC9

There are 2 choices, the Airfix and FLY (also AZ and a few other boxings) DC9's, I think the FLY has the edge because it has the prominent crease line, which is missing from the Airfix kit.

With either of these 2 you would really need to change the fin and again my suggestion would be a Braz MD 87 one.

The flap track fairing on the wing are the same as a MD80, so you would need those from a Minicraft kit, or scratch your own using them as a pattern.

With the engines a better starting point would be the V2500's from the Revell A318/320/321, still a lot of work, but much closer to the same diameter.

Good luck

Edited by Graeme H

Thanks, that is some great advice.

That was my intended livery, thanks for the info.