Big joe-atlas variant-boilerpate test vehicle,1/48 resin,martins models

HI,heres a few pics of my build of this boilerplate mercury capsule,test vehicle,im still looking at research yet,so its a bit ongoing,btw the capsule is in a museum,after a splash down recovery..im using martins model,s atlas as a base vehicle,and his resin capsule,could of used the revell capsule,but as its a boilerplate version,i did,nt need the inside visible.so heres the start,i,ll probably make a few changes as i go along?

i cut the base out of the adaptor,to put a bit of detail on,

015_zps2578a366.jpg

tank in the atlas shoulder..

016_zps701e9b6a.jpg

its a good fit on the adaptor.

014_zps7fc986f0.jpg

splashing a bit of paint about..

013_zpsbbbf63fe.jpg

012_zps79d375aa.jpg

011_zps89e8d210.jpg

sanding off the heatshield,i hotmelted a handle on as i was sanding my finger ends away?

010_zpsf0a5371c.jpg

my thats a good fit?

009_zps9fa0dd10.jpg

heres a few different payloads,

007_zps3e63e47f.jpg

006_zpsf6b79da5.jpg

005_zps6dd2fc44.jpg

cheers thanks for looking...Don

Hi Don,

that's going to look fine. It's great you are doing this version because most modellers tend to build the 'famous' versions of rocketry - first launch; Apollo 11 and 13 etc.

Nice to see some test-bed stuff on the build.

cheers

Mike

cheers mike,the hardest bit is going to be all the patches on the capsule,all bare metal,and metal banding,its probably too small a scale too care about really,just trying to look as though i know what im doing.?and the colour,its mostly black?

006_zpsfd1f774b.jpg

as you can see its ongoing?

005_zps09cacaab.jpg

cheers for looking.....Don

HI,Well two nights of work on the capsule,never realised how much to do on it,i would show you some pics of my two efforts so far,but i,ll have another go tonight,and if i get a better result,i,ll show them,if not it wont matter because i,ll build something else?dont you just hate it,when things dont go right........might just go and do some painting another of my hates?...oh the ups and downs of real space...

cheers Don...not a happy moggler,at the mo!

• 2 weeks later...

HI, Well, i thought that would do for the capsule,last night,gave it some varnish,went to start the booster section,as launch date is fast approaching?came back to it and all the decals had shrivelled.....bu**er.....bo**ox,cannot think of any more b,s.....not a happy moggler?

004_zpsbaf7fb09.jpg

003_zpsfdf0f1b4.jpg

004_zpsbaf7fb09.jpg

001_zps4a17e03f.jpg

Down in the dumps Don

HI,CHAPS , seriously thanks for the comments,enuffs enuff,im putting decals on this beast today,i can always revisit the subject later?so heres the bits for assembly,the trouble with this subject is there are thousands of images of the capsule now in museums,but very few before launch,so a few of the details of ribbing and extra plates fitted to test different ablative products,are few and far ,so ive gone with a generic one of the capsule at launch,so the white bits are the plates etc you can see on the launch pic,from either side?....does that make sense?

003_zpsbe9745c9.jpg

just getting the base ready....

004_zpse87c26ca.jpg

005_zps8f7d84fb.jpg

the bits for assembly....

fuel pipe,vernier engines ,and drain off pipe...

006_zps6f8039cb.jpg

cheers Don

Don,

Watched a fabulous programme on one of the BBC international channels yesterday about the Gemini launches.

It was fascinating. Very much suck it & see. As for the rendezvous up there, that could have gone so wrong.

People talk about football heroes? They need to be introduced to these guys.

They had Big Brass bound ones!

Pete

HI,CALLING BIG JOE 1, finished. ,will post in the finished section,heres the last couple of pics before i put some labels on it... just in time for the launch anniversary...

001_zpsc49513d2.jpg

006_zps6f8039cb.jpg

got a few decals on....

002_zpse3db2f18.jpg

003_zps37ebaf61.jpg

right,thanks for looking,and your comments,i will post this as finished now.

cheers Don