Spitfire MkIX and MkIV sets. 1:48 Quickboost

Supermarine Spitfire MkIX and MkXIV

Quickboost 1:48

packs.jpg

Here we have another set of add-on parts from Quickboost who seem to be on a bit of a mission lately. Two of these sets are for the Eduard Spitfire MkIX and the third is for the Academy Spitfire MkXIV. Each part is a direct replacement for the kit parts giving a finer level of detail to the finished model. Each is packed in the standard poly sleeves and are relatively well protected by projections from the casting blocks.

Spitfire MkIX Bulkheads (QB 48 528), or armoured plates are extremely thin and look quite fragile. They are simply detailed with just a few bolt heads and mounting holes. The plate that sits behind the pilots head also has the slot through which the seat harness fits.

armour.jpg

Spitfire MkIX Cockpit Door (QB 48 538) is also quite thin, but has some very finely done strengthening stringers and a nicely moulded latching mechanism. The set also comes with a separate crowbar to fit as necessary.

door.jpg

Spitfire MkXIV Exhausts (QB 48 5541), contains two very nicely moulded round exhaust stacks. Each stack is suitably hollow with very thin sidewalls giving a really good scale look. The stacks are moulded onto a common rail which fits directly into the kits aperture.

exhausts.jpg

Conclusion

Three very simple and easily fitted parts that should help give a better scale look to the completed model. Recommended.

Review samples courtesy of
logo.jpg
distributed in the UK by Hannants Ltd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For my money those exhausts look a little anaemic. Looking at photos of the real thing, the trailing end of one stack should extend past the leading edge of the next. The Quickboost ones seem quite a way off this. I think I remember the Academy original being similar, so perhaps they've just followed that.

Another strange thing about these stacks is that if you look at the image of the Quickboost replacement upper cowl and exhausts for the Spit XIV on the Hannants website you will see that the stubbs do overlap with that one! I thought that Quickboost had just used the same master to produce this new set but obviously not!

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48246

I also tend to think that it is probably better value for money to buy the set including the cowl!

Simon