Scratch Build 1/6 scale Mk III Dalek: Complete after 3 months

• 10 months later...

This isn't a revival of this topic, it's more closure related. For anybody that remembered this build, I had filled the pockets behind the gun and plunger with foam, hoping that would create enough force to hold the appendages in place. Well, it worked.... for about a day.

I need something a bit more engineered to hold things in place. As it turned out, the plastic globe thing that I used for the plunger end also fitted nicely around the bead I had used to create the pivots, so I grabbed some felt.....

S5000674.JPG

Lined the interior of the globe with some felt strips, held in place by canopy glue, like so....

S5000676.JPG

And a quick check proves out my theory that this may just work.

S5000692.JPG

Next I needed something to support the two cups when in place - this "I" beam seemed ideal for the job.

S5000694.JPG

The plan being to glue the beam on the rear face of the cups.

S5000696.JPG

Measured out, cut , and glued.

S5002341.JPG

I had to cut away some of the interior to allow the support beam to reach the pivots.

S5002342.JPG

The support beam is now glued in place with epoxy - the slow stuff.

S5002350.JPG

That was left overnight to cure.

I did find a problem though - Periwinkle has been spending time in a display cabinet, so for the last year I haven't really taken a close look - I did yesterday and HORRORS!!!!!.......

Corrosion on a Dalek ! that shouldn't happen.

S5002349.JPG

So while Periwinkle was apart, that was the perfect opportunity to grab some metal polish and clean up the collar.

Everything was cleaned up, Periwinkle was put back together again. The new support beam works to hold the appendages in place.

Here's a quick shot showing the cleaned up collars.

S5002353.JPG

More photo's over here...... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958888-okay-i-couldnt-resist-it-any-longer-a-little-sister-for-periwinkle/?p=1793419

• Like 2

yup, that is true Nigel. I followed your lead on the Nickel Silver.

I think it may be to do with the humidity and temperatures here, it can get pretty icky in the summer. At least I am aware of it now so I can keep an eye on it in future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...