Scratch Build 1/6 scale Mk III Dalek: Complete after 3 months

After lurking here for some time I have finally taken the plunge and decided to post a WIP.

Some caveats... this is not going to be quick or easy and could well remain unfinished - I just don't know what my skills are at this point.

I was so unsure about posting a WIP I never took any photo's throughout the build up to this point. I'm sure you guys will still get the idea though.

So, starting with some basic materials, and an even more basic tool kit. I managed to amass a bunch of parts similar to those shown here.

S5004796.JPG

It sure is a lot of faffing about to post an image here (other forums I am a member of allow you to upload images directly). Can someone confirm if the image above can be seen?

So.. plastic buttons, plastic spheres, styrene sheet, beams and some brass rod - whatever could it be?

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

May be the title gave it away!! And where did the R come from nicE1.

I started a 1/4 scale one some time back but stopped when I got to the mid section, should try again at some point.

Looking forward to watching your progress hendie.

Cheers,

Warren

This will be 1/6 scale, standing about 10" high when (if) complete. My first thoughts were to use the styrene to build a base model which I could then cast in resin. I mulled that over for a while then started thinking about 3D printing parts and assembling. Current plan is to build using whatever materials come to hand, though I may resort to any method as I get further into it.

I started by drawing the Dalek full scale in Draftsight, a free AutoCAD clone ( http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/download-draftsight/ ) using plans I obtained from the interwebby thing. (If I can find the link again I shall credit the author)

Dalek01.PNG

Once I had the full scale version drawn, I copied that down to 1/6th scale.

Dalek03.PNG

Dalek02.PNG

which I then printed out 1:1, taped to the styrene sheet, drilled center holes for the domes on the skirt (as it seemed much easier to do it now than later), and then cut out and bonded together the various parts.

I have since found some minor dimensional issues with the plans, such as length differences on edges of parts which are supposed to be joined. Of course I never noticed it until I was bonding parts, but it seemed minor so I carried on regardless. - Some of the issue may well be down to me and my methods, and tolerance stack up... I'll figure out just how big a deal it is later on.

I have SolidWorks at work, so if need be, I can create a solid model, shell the parts and get exact dimensions if this doesn't turn out as planned.

Edited by hendie

I started with the skirt as it seemed pretty challenging for a beginner such as myself. Sorry I don't have any photo's of the process, but I have described it in a previous post.... print, tape, drill, cut etc.

Anyway, after several evenings work I ended up with this...

S5004777.JPG

doesn't look too bad at all - it boosted my confidence somewhat even although it's not 100%

S5004778.JPG

however it certainly doesn't look so tidy underneath. I added all sorts of braces and angles in order to try and strengthen the model.

S5004779.JPG

While the model seems strong enough, it is definitely a bit lightweight and I'd like to add some mass to the model - and hopefully some more strength at the same time.

I have purchased some car body filler which I had intended to slap around under the skirt, but haven't got that far yet.

Can anyone tell me if there are any issues using styrene sheet and car body filler together - I'd hate to see all this work dissolve before my eyes after putting this much work into it!

Hendie, good progress on your Dalek. Take heart from this and forge ahead.

On the question of car body filler, I use it regularly and would recommend using it in small doses. It gives off some heat during curing and large amounts could buckle sheet plastic. I have not seen any ill effects yet and have been using the stuff for years.

Keep up the good work, you will be amazed at what can be achieved with styrene sheet and imagination!

:popcorn:

Cheers, Steve.

This is looking pretty damn good so far. Any idea how you are going to tackle the top dome?

ehrrr, nope... my brain hasn't walked that far down the road yet.

I am toying with the idea of rotating something in a drill, maybe roughing out using bondo and styrene templates, and then sanding to get the final profile, but it may end up being too large/heavy for a drill.

I'd love to get a lathe, but that's out of my price range for the time being. I only have a pretty basic tool set to work with. I did have a pretty full workshop, but when I left the UK, I had to leave all my power tools as the voltage here is different. (and then the rest of my tools got "donated" while I wasn't looking, so I am starting from scratch again (no pun intended!)

I'm working on the base, shoulders and gun box at the moment. The base is almost complete, however, combining the shoulders and the gun box is going to be a bit more difficult than I first thought.

Hendie, good progress on your Dalek. Take heart from this and forge ahead.

On the question of car body filler, I use it regularly and would recommend using it in small doses. It gives off some heat during curing and large amounts could buckle sheet plastic. I have not seen any ill effects yet and have been using the stuff for years.

Keep up the good work, you will be amazed at what can be achieved with styrene sheet and imagination!

:popcorn:

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve.

Small portions over time was how I intended to go, so it's good to hear your input confirms that - thanks again

This is looking great so far. So where are you? Your profile needs a little filling out. I have a 1/5th scale vacform Dalek in the stash which will get built sometime. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

As promised, here are those pictures:

P1000827_zps69bbb4a7.jpg

I am bit worried about opening the box after that warning but I take the risk:

P1000828_zpsc4eab306.jpg

This looks like it will be a whole heap of fun and certainly something a bit different.

This is looking great so far. So where are you? Your profile needs a little filling out. I have a 1/5th scale vacform Dalek in the stash which will get built sometime. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Cool. I've watched the Sevans models go for crazy money on Ebay, and I've bid on a few Comet Dalek models but never got lucky enough yet. In the end I decided to have a go at the scratch build.The biggest problem was the domes for the skirt and the ball joints for the gun and plunger but after searching Ebay long enough I found some plastic buttons which are close enough to do the job.

btw, I'm now based in the USA.

you should motorize it. maybe a second hand RC chassis.

My original intention was to create a static but pose-able model. I may go as far as lighting it... I guess we'll see when I get near the end - which is a long way off yet !

This looks fun. I have some half-built Airfix Daleks waiting to be finished, so watching this with interest. Having lots of problems getting rid of mold lines on the "torso".

There is a lot of reference material on Daleks out on the web (for example: http://www.projectdalek.co.uk/files/).

Meant to add that you may find some plastic packaging useful for the domes (you just need to keep an eye out for the right size/shapes. It may also be possible to vacuform a suitable dome if you make a suitable former.

anthony

This looks fun. I have some half-built Airfix Daleks waiting to be finished, so watching this with interest. Having lots of problems getting rid of mold lines on the "torso".

There is a lot of reference material on Daleks out on the web (for example: http://www.projectdalek.co.uk/files/).

Meant to add that you may find some plastic packaging useful for the domes (you just need to keep an eye out for the right size/shapes. It may also be possible to vacuform a suitable dome if you make a suitable former.

anthony

I'd have a look at the Plastruct range. They do quite a few domes and one may be right.

UK source: http://www.ema-models.co.uk/

Plastruct: http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

No connection other than a happy customer.

Thanks guys, I'll check into those links.

I had toyed with the idea of using bondo and styrene sheet templates to try and make the dome, or at least to make a former to try vacu-forming with, or even using the vacuum formed part as a former for some resin. (all things I have never attempted to do!)

I'd also thought about seeing if there was any plastic balls the right diameter, and taking a slice off one of those. The difficult part is the tangent angle that comes directly off from the curvature.

Last resort is 3D printing, although it would no doubt be more accurate, it's not really "scratch building" in the true sense.

The story continues.... armed with another print out and some styrene "I" beam I set about creating the base/bumper/fender thingy.

S5004797.JPG

According to my calculations, at 1/6 the base should be 0.5" high. So my plan is to use 7/16" "I" beam to create a frame and then sheet the frame in 0.030" sheet styrene top and bottom. That should be close enough to the right size when finished.

I may leave the bottom off for the moment until I decide if I am going to include some newfangled motion device in there or not..

Here's the base in process.

S5004787.JPG

I'm overlapping the sides and then sanding back. I also added some internal framing to add a bit of strength.

I must try and get a piece of scrap granite to use as a surface table - I had to use the kitchen worktops to ensure I got this as flat and true as possible.

I'm now working on the gun box, and the shoulder section. Both are a bit more difficult than they would at first appear. I have a sneaking suspicion that both the gun box and the shoulder section may be an iterative process, and require several attempts to get right. Only time will tell.

Some very good looking work there. I seem to remember that the dome can be created using plaster of Paris and rotating a profile former around a central pivot. This can then be used to make a female mould in fibre glass and this is turn can be used to make the dome. I have used this process to make a mould for plaster uplighters.

I am starting to think perhaps my Dalek should be my next build in commemoration of Dr Who's 50th anniversary this year...

Edited by Nigel Heath

you can never have too many Daleks!

It's a classic - right up there with Robbie the Robot, Robot B9 from Lost in Space, and Gort.

I've loved Daleks ever since I first saw one way back in the mid sixties. I can even remember entering a competition to win one (was it in TV21 ?) and was so gutted when I didn't win

Some very good looking work there. I seem to remember that the dome can be created using plaster of Paris and rotating a profile former around a central pivot. This can then be used to make a female mould in fibre glass and this is turn can be used to make the dome. I have used this process to make a mould for plaster uplighters.

I am starting to think perhaps my Dalek should be my next build in commemoration of Dr Who's 50th anniversary this year...

hi,ive made domes by melting plasticard over various sizes of oil filter. off cars,anything domed,with a hot air stripper,you just cut too size then,just a thought?

Don