'Tomcat 21' what-ifs - anyone built one?

Dave A

Vaguely thinking about whiffing something along the lines of one of the proposed variants here, wondering if there are any builds out there? Google not helping... Cheers!

Haven't seen any and I've never seen any detailed plans for the design... which makes a conversion difficult to accomplish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen any ever built, nor even any linedrawings, but this book has a set of six high-rez photos of a Tomcat 21 model, very useful as reference.

IMHO, only outside major differences to F-14A/B/D are:

- frameless windshield

- bigger glove vanes and

- a set of LANTRIN-like sensors (that is: their turrets) installed into the front portion of underfuselage Phoenix-pallets.

The project also involved slightly larger tailplanes. The extension was on the trailing edge and in the few pictures of the model this can be noticed because the angle of the part close to the rear fuselage is sharper

Another modification that could have had an effect on the external detail was the use of a revised leading edge and different flaps, but to be honest I can't see any difference between the model of the ST21 and the real Tomcats

Perhaps they didn't care to add all the details they would have added on 'real' Tomcat 21 (if it ever entered production) to the model?

Anyway, your description, Giorgio, makes me curious. As a declared Tomcat-fanatic, think I have to do whatever is possible to get a decent linedrawing of '21' and see all the details.

Vaguely thinking about whiffing something along the lines of one of the proposed variants here, wondering if there are any builds out there? Google not helping... Cheers!

Haven't actually seen any myself Dave but, I have an idea of using the 1/48 H B F-14D as a Strike variant with swivelling wing pylons a la F-111 & Tornado.

Allan