Airfix 1:72 Bf109G Finnish Airforce 1948

Howdy folks. I'm going to build a newer Airfix kit in 1:72

It's just another cheap one to have some fun and try and master a few new techniques.

This time I'm really going to try improving my own finishing skills and also try and make my forum a bit more informative along the way.

Okay here's the box art with the actual version I'll be doing

1000921_206944392800693_147486403_n.jpg

There's 3 light grey sprues with a clear sprue with 2 canopies. There's a total of 41parts but take out one canopy you won't use that makes 40, take out 2 wheels with wheels covers for the undercarriage up option, that leave 38 parts, take out some underwing rocket option that I won't be using that's made up of 5 parts and there's 2 of them means I have grand total of about 28 pieces to assemble this whole thing!! Oh...nearly forgot...take out a 2 piece underbelly bomb or drop tank option and now there's only 26 parts to worry about!!!

1184984_207069089454890_1756547279_n.jpg

There's not a huge amount of detail, there's some recessed panel lines, the cockpit is non existent and the pilot I was going to add in for interest looks weirder than a 3 dollar bill and I think more akin to a 1960's Russian Mig pilot than a 1948 Finnish one!

Have a look!

1157575_207069166121549_763461152_n.jpg

Hopefully I've got something else in the spare parts box that's more appropriate!!....I have no idea why that photo is so small and no matter what I do I can't change it!. Hopefully you get the idea LOL

Here's the clear parts

1148869_207069139454885_1576980784_n.jpg

Here's the decals. I'm using the funky bat ones and the sharks mouth......always a sucker for the sharks mouth thing

998445_207069112788221_831797008_n.jpg

The other versions are a German and an Italian one. I was interested in the Italian version as well but the other versions really needed an airbrush and since I don't have one I thought "well......that pretty much makes the decision for me" Also note the Italian decals are incorrect and the upper wing markings are identical when in fact they should "mirror" each other.....not seen mistake before on a decal sheet before from Airfix

These are the instructions for the paint scheme I'll be doing.

969472_207069149454884_1318625625_n.jpg

Well that's about it. At least you now know what I'm tackling......should be pretty easy....says the bloke who just about destroyed his 1:72 Airfix Corsair in his last post!!

Watch this space...

Edited by Winenut

Good luck with this one, Winenut.

I think you'll find the fit a bit better than the Corsair - and the decals won't have the rivets to contend with!

regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin. Yes there's no crazy rivets!!!

Hopefully I can get through any gloss coat thing and not destroy my paint job.

I've done a bit of stuff tonight so I'll post that shortly

Righto you crazy model maniacs.

My good wife thinks I'm nuts but since our favourite football team won today (Aussie rules...GO PORT ADELAIDE!!!) I have been cut a small amount of slack and after the best Indian in Adelaide (Thankyou Jasmin!!) I have managed to get the inlaws out, the kids to bed, the good wife is quietly relaxing and I have done some work on the little Airfix 109G.

First base was painting the cockpit interior and Humbrol 92 as advised by Airfix doesn't exist!!! BAAHAAAHAAA... that makes me laugh. Oh bugger me luckily "Iron Grey" sounds so yesterday so it seems it will be the next best option which is some dark grey colour....and none of my friends will have any idea so let's giddy up!!

I'd tell you what I ended up using but in this scale with a Finnish Airforce version of a 1948 109G for a fat old bloke in Adelaide South Australia does anyone really care???

So let me get my faculties together after too many reds and I'll post the WIP. (That's Work in Progress....but you probably knew that)

• Like 1

Here we go!!!

You know making little crappy plastic kits is massively enhanced by exceptional South Australian Red wine and an awesome backing soundtrack from David Bowie.

Go figure....

Here some the photos.

998569_207568266071639_530127275_n.jpg

some more grey paint and a few more Tamiya flat aluminium highlights ......very tacky !!! See later posts to try and salvage!

Blackwashed that silly looking pilot (didn't have any spares at all) .....that's life

1148993_207568282738304_1209646786_n.jpg

I don't even know if that thin black wash does anything but hey!!!...hopefully it will make it all better somehow :) Still looks decidedly 1960's not 1948!!!

washed some of the kids paint into the panel lines and it will be interesting to see if this sort of preshading/weathering thing will amount to anything more than a waste of paint!

1151026_207568439404955_285377462_n.jpg

But I have to say it looks pretty damn cool right now ......hopefully I don't stuff it all up from here....HAHA...

Have to get going soon........David Bowie is cool......but a divorce lawyer is much more expensive and so much less enjoyable!!!

1185545_207568396071626_1388433235_n.jpg

That crazy pilot is getting there (bit of work definitely required) and although being very weird he's starting to look sort of okay.... can't be overly comfortable with a toothpick in that position imo.... :blink:

That's it for now.

Hopefully get on with construction in the next post........or the wife and kids decide I'm a complete idiot and you never hear from me again

Edited by Winenut

Nice one!! I always looked at this kit and thought it was an 1960's mould (could explain) the pilot ;). I will be watching how you progress with this, have you ever thought of trying Vallejo acrylic paint?? I switched over to them from Revell/Humbrol enamels and never looked back. Trying Tamiya paints in the airbrush is good too :)

Looking forward to more building and Mr. Bowie. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks for the feedback Dazz. I see the Vallejo paints mentioned quite often but I don't think I've even seen them in my main hobby centre. I'll have another look and give them a go. Because I'm a backward hick I don't own and have never used an Airbrush!!! I found the Tamiya acrylics dried on my brush when hand painting an F15 for my boy. So I've sort of gone back to what I know and that's the Humbrol Enamels. But I'll keep an eye out for the Vallejo range and give 'em a run up the flagpole....cause that's what it's all about!

Cheers

Winenut

Nice one!! I always looked at this kit and thought it was an 1960's mould (could explain) the pilot ;). I will be watching how you progress with this, have you ever thought of trying Vallejo acrylic paint?? I switched over to them from Revell/Humbrol enamels and never looked back. Trying Tamiya paints in the airbrush is good too :)

Looking forward to more building and Mr. Bowie. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

It IS the original (1960s) BF-109G isn't it? - with a nice new box & nice new decals?

Allan

Yep agreed. I think it's new mould.

My boy got given an Airfix Eurofighter Typhoon jet for his birthday and the pilot looks the same except mine is fatter.

Yep no kidding.....Jenny Craig is alive and well at Airfix apparently.....baahaahaaaha!

Edited by Winenut

Hey I did some stuff on the construction side and the basics are really damn nice. No kidding fuselage and wings are just right and really easy....except getting that silly pilot in place correctly!..

That's it will post soon... Cheers!

Edited by Winenut

It IS the original (1960s) BF-109G isn't it? - with a nice new box & nice new decals?

That's what I originally thought too, but the sprue shots say otherwise (no flash for a 50 year old mould??), as has John and Wingnut said. Ill have a lookie the next time I'm in Hobbycraft (probably tomorrow).

Wingnut, I do believe that Tamiya paints where designed for airbrushes. I've found that they paint with a brush really poorly. The Vallejo stuff can be used either way. Best thing about them is their drying time. One thing I forgot to mention was the work on the pilot, very impressive!! Not sure he appreciates where that cocktail stick is tho... Your nickname isn't "Vad" (the impaler) is it? ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Hey I did some stuff on the construction side and the basics are really damn nice. No kidding fuselage and wings are just right and really easy....except getting thst silly pilot in place correctly!..

That's it will post soon... Cheers!

It's a superbly engineered kit, almost goes together without glue!

John

Vlad the impaler!! Ha Ha.

And John...absolutely correct. I put together the fuselage and the wings snapped into place and stayed on the test fit!! No filler required so far and looks nice.

Righto guys I'm back!

Kids asleep wife's asleep but I'm sworn off the jungle juice so no red wine to keep me company tonight. :blink:

I decided to try a little detail work with the brush and also to get through a little of the assembly.

The kit comes with a few options hanging off the bottom. The toss up for me was the little bomb or the drop tank.

The bomb looked pretty lame so I went with the drop tank which has a few engraved lines and was a bit bigger. Always better right???

Anyway you can see the two bomb parts still on the sprues. I tried to do a bit of research but didn't actually find much definitive on the crazy Finnish version

1157486_208608915967574_1913697180_n.jpg

You can see the tank assembled....still needs a bit of fine sanding on that seam.

1157506_208609382634194_2019935335_n.jpg

Photo's a bit crappy too! Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway there's not a heap of detail so I did the best I could with the one piece moulded undercarriage legs and flaps. Didn't come up too bad. Bit of a Tamiya dark grey base. Humbrol gun metal legs, a few Tamiya flat aluminium highlights and a little bit of a black wash with the kids acrylics and a bit of water. It's not historically correct.....more of an attempt to add a bit of interest to a little kit that lacks a bit in detail. Hey it's 1:72, it's a fighter and it's Airfix!

Here's the finished product after fiddling about with the brush.

1150393_208609589300840_1436398689_n.jpg

The actual legs are quite a bit lighter than the dark grey background but the photo doesn't show it that much. Damn crappy camera....and operator!

I can see why they didn't include much cockpit detail once the poor old pilot was slammed in there there wasn't much else to be seen....and when the canopy's jammed shut I reckon poor old Hendrik won't be visible either :hypnotised:

1150851_208609799300819_1915686720_n.jpg

That's about it for now. I banged the tailplane on tonight as well.....got the whole thing as straight as possible and starting packing up the dining table/workbench before the divorce lawyers made a move.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers

Winenut

Edited by Winenut

Keep it going, Winenut. Lots of good progress there.

Not a biggie, but if you're interested in improving the accuracy a tad, the 'bumps' in front of the cockpt which were, I think, breech covers for the fuselage machine guns, should be separate - one on each side of the nose. 5 minutes with a file / sanding stick / wet n dry on the raised piece over the fuselage centreline would get rid of the 'monobrow' look.

regards,

Martin

Thanks for the tip Martin. I really appreciate the feedback.

Might just give it a go.

I've completed a bit more paint and a few adjustments and will post again soon.

Hopefully I can find the five mins (hour for me!!!LOL) to fix that monobrow!

Cheers

Winenut

Edited by Winenut

I think I shot myself in the foot with some pretty crappy photos, some average workmanship and so I've fired myself up!

Tonight I tidied up the undercarriage wing wells, sanded that drop tank, fixed the wheels a bit, tidied up the pilot (no photo you've seen enough) stripped for a third time the prop to fix it (and will have to do it again!!!) and painted the drop tank and the underside in the continuation of my modelling quest.

Sorry folks...no idea why but I cant post photos. If I can work it all out I'll get back to you.

Cheers

winenut :(

FIXED!!!!!!

Here we go!

I didn't like my wheel wells and I still don't like them that much but they are better. Plus all the other WIP.

Toned down and somewhat slightly better

1229872_208926182602514_831672252_n.jpg

Here's some okay wheels..

1186339_208926755935790_1743652316_n.jpg

Assembled and painted the drop tank...looks okay ....nice blue....panel line experiment to come!

1186339_208926759269123_802574858_n.jpg

1186339_208926762602456_1019043641_n.jpg

Handpainted the bottom in the nice humbrol 65 blue but it was a bit thick in viscosity and no thinners around ...damn :hanging:

Oh well... I plan a bit of gloss then this and that and decals and a bit of flat coat so let's push on with the experiment.

The red wine and port are kicking in along with tomorrows hangover so adios for now and hopefully some more tomorrow night!

Thanks for dropping by again.

Cheers! :thumbsup2:

Edited by Winenut

If anyone can recommend an airbrush and the worlds quietest compressor for a fat old bloke who needs to give up the brush (and a few other vices) all tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Winenut

PS time for me to enter the latest millennium :clif:

A bit more progress ...

Masked up a profile with the intention of painting the green and then overpainting the matt black camouflage . She;s a dark beast apart from the blue underside so not sure what I'll do for the panel line washes I want to have a go at.

Anyway here's the latest.

Will wait for that to fully dry and the then mask off for the black camo.

Thanks for having a look

Cheers

1235360_209213222573810_1341915514_n.jpg

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 1

If anyone can recommend an airbrush and the worlds quietest compressor for a fat old bloke who needs to give up the brush (and a few other vices) all tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Winenut

PS time for me to enter the latest millennium :clif:

Here's the compressor I use:

http://www.gmcgenerators.com/?page_id=247

60 decibels is pretty quiet. This is sold by California Air Tools, not sure if that is distributed in the UK. Perhaps under a different name, the compressor itself is made in China.

For an airbrush you'll get as many different answers as respondents. I'm old school (or is it just old?), I use a Paasche Model H:

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes/single-action/h-1l

Single action, external mix, siphon feed, ancient design, bought it in 1977. But I've yet to find anything I can't do with it! I think my models come out OK...

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the feedback on the airbrush stuff Bill. I'll check out a few of your builds and look forward to seeing what you can do with yours.

I added some of the black camo . Looks a bit dodgy but I'm hoping a few of those brush marks will disappear with a gloss and matte coats later.

This is it so far. I'm going to take off the masks, tidy up any mess I find and then get it ready for a gloss coat for decals and an attempt at some panel line washes.

1174902_209624259199373_766405950_n.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers