1/48 Tamiya Cromwell MkIV

Paints and colours used: Model Air Medium Green, Modelmates Oil Brown, Burnt Umber Oil, Europe Dust + Dark Mud Mig Pigments, Tamiya Buff + Xtracrylics Matt Varnish

I think I may have the armour bug now as it was a fun build. Plus I have just picked up the Hobby Boss Merkava IIID [LIC] for £26 from Modelzone!

9519133780_4d9f6a2a35_c.jpg
9519133698_42999aaf99_c.jpg
9519133198_4a47aa6fef_c.jpg
9516341375_ef2bc186a6_c.jpg
  • Like 5

For the first application of the Mig pigments I tapped them onto a small area at a time holding the area flat. Then I gently flowed some Enamel thinners onto the pigments to try and set/fix them. This looked great at first but after drying I found it was very easy to rub or crumble off the surface.

So, I then mixed up some Krystal Clear pva glue with water and airbrushed this over the top. This set the powders nicely.

Then I mixed some pigments with pva into a thicker sludge and dabbed this over the wheels and mudguards to add some different texture.

Finally, I sprayed some Tamiya Buff over to add some subtle lightening.

To start off with I did lighten the centres of the panels a bit then a pin wash with the Modelmates weathering liquid. I think I actually ended up washing this thinly all over in the end as it seemed to dry much lighter.

All of this was a learning experience, but all the YouTube vids on the subject did help with ideas to try.

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Nice build there Jackal mate.

Lovely finish and being 1/48 scale even more Impressive.

Just one little thing on the build.

You have a gap between the front plate and the sloping front armour, this can be filled very easy even in its finished state.

I hope I have not put you off building more like this.

The weathering is superb :thumbsup:

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Lovely! Weathering is first rate.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice build however, a small observation,

• the top run of track on Cruiser Tanks should only touch the centre 3 road-wheels
  • I can see from your build that you have had a few track issues and this may be as a result of the track laid on road-wheels 1 & 5
  • I also guess that you had an issue with the metal hull as depicted in the space along the forward glacis edge.
  • This would be due to the metal hull tub - in its raw state it is correct but Tamiya then powder-coated it which causes just enough of an issue to notice.

I know, as I had all the same issues with this very kit - here's mine.

9980483574_fdbc21a0af_c.jpg

It is otherwise a slick, clean build with a classic finish - you have a good eye for this :goodjob:

Edited by Shermaniac