Lancaster GR3 details

Meatbox8

RE-164 is obviously freshly-painted; there aren't even any exhaust stains, and we all know the Merlins put out plenty of exhaust. I can't think they left that area under the canopy in the original wartime colour, so I'm going to say black. Maybe.

Regards,

Jason

RE-164 is obviously freshly-painted; there aren't even any exhaust stains, and we all know the Merlins put out plenty of exhaust. I can't think they left that area under the canopy in the original wartime colour, so I'm going to say black. Maybe.

Regards,

Jason

I'm thinking the same. Doesn't seem likely to have been DE or DG. In the photo it looks similar in tone to the nearest paddle blade but these B/W pics can be very deceptive. So agreed. Maybe!

BTW, anyone know which unit RE164 was with in this picture? Looks like a squadron badge on the nose which I'll have to try and source. I suppose in that scale it would be impossible to tell if I used another unit's badge, but I'd know!

Interestingly, it doesn't look like it has the rear fuselage camera housing fitted, which means one less job for me to do.

Here's the one I'm thinking about doing. Nice and clean. Since this has obviously been in service awhile, I'm guessing it has the Lincoln-type tails. Now all I need to do is figure out the entire fuselage code.

Regards,

Jason

GR3-ExtraDirty_zps76715177.jpg

RE164 is featured on RAFDEC sheet RF7206. I got a copy in the last couple of weeks from Blackbird Models, not sure if they have another. It includes the unit badge (albeit a bit out of register on mine). The problem I found when trying to do a GR3 using generic decals is it is impossible to find upperwing roundels the correct size (102" or 96" ???) but they are also on this sheet,

Ross

Here's the one I'm thinking about doing. Nice and clean. Since this has obviously been in service awhile, I'm guessing it has the Lincoln-type tails. Now all I need to do is figure out the entire fuselage code.

Regards,

Jason

GR3-ExtraDirty_zps76715177.jpg

Crikey. What a mess. Still, adds character I suppose.

RE164 is featured on RAFDEC sheet RF7206. I got a copy in the last couple of weeks from Blackbird Models, not sure if they have another. It includes the unit badge (albeit a bit out of register on mine). The problem I found when trying to do a GR3 using generic decals is it is impossible to find upperwing roundels the correct size (102" or 96" ???) but they are also on this sheet,

Ross

Nice one. Thanks Ross.

There's another pic of SW336 here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?88416-Lancaster-history-wanted-crash-info

Looks to have Lincoln rudders but still not sure about whether there was any other code letter (other than the obvious 'V').

HTH,

Mark

Thank you Mark! That does appear to be the bird I want to model. In trying to find out information about this particular aeroplane, using the serial number I came across information that it was with 37 squadron, but with the code "B", not "V". The book I took my photograph from has this aeroplane identified as SW336, but with 38 squadron. That thread you posted seems to indicate it might have been with both. At any rate, it appears to only have the one squadron code of "V" in both pictures. Now the question becomes, is that code red or black. Meatbox8, I hope we're not taking things too far off-topic!

Regards,

Jason

• 5 years later...
On 8/25/2013 at 12:28 AM, Meatbox8 said:

BTW, anyone know which unit RE164 was with in this picture? Looks like a squadron badge on the nose which I'll have to try and source. I suppose in that scale it would be impossible to tell if I used another unit's badge, but I'd know!

Interestingly, it doesn't look like it has the rear fuselage camera housing fitted, which means one less job for me to do.

Sorry for the resurrection, but RE164 'H-U' was with the School of Maritime Reconnaissance at St Mawgan, the 'H' code is the giveaway for their aircraft.  The badge is the SMR Stormy Petrel within a star, more clearly seen in the badge on SW366 'H-Z', below it.

The reason it was looking so clean is that its is pictured (with three others) at the Coronation Review at Odiham.

I would concur with the black interior on the Coastal Command Lancasters, however I personally believe that the cockpit aft decking is in the grey of the upper fuselage.

Another thing to add is that they all had the large fuselage intake on the stb'd side.

@Learstang the 'V' is the whole code, 38 squadron GR.IIIs used single letter codes by then.

They reason I found this thread is that I'm looking for any info on crew disposition, or any manuals specific to the ASR/GR.III, MR.3?

On 8/15/2013 at 8:03 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Aerial fit appears, surprisingly, to be the same as a BIII. Or is it??

Hello Tim,

I built a GR 3 years ago, and found that there were whip aerials on the fuselage top. They’re hard to see in photos, but I found a Aeronavale Lanc pic that showed them.  They look to be about 4- 6 feet long. There are also 3 aerials forward of the tail wheel. 

Note that there are 2 versions of the white/ msg scheme applied, one with white leading edges, and one without. 

Depending on which company did the refurbishment, there are also two sizes of upper wing roundel, 84” and 96”. IIRC, it was Short bros. who applied the 96” size.

Hope this helps,

TW

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Sorry for the resurrection, but RE164 'H-U' was with the School of Maritime Reconnaissance at St Mawgan, the 'H' code is the giveaway for their aircraft.  The badge is the SMR Stormy Petrel within a star, more clearly seen in the badge on SW366 'H-Z', below it.

The reason it was looking so clean is that its is pictured (with three others) at the Coronation Review at Odiham.

I would concur with the black interior on the Coastal Command Lancasters, however I personally believe that the cockpit aft decking is in the grey of the upper fuselage.

Another thing to add is that they all had the large fuselage intake on the stb'd side.

@Learstang the 'V' is the whole code, 38 squadron GR.IIIs used single letter codes by then.

They reason I found this thread is that I'm looking for any info on crew disposition, or any manuals specific to the ASR/GR.III, MR.3?

Thanks.  No, it's good to resurrect my thread as it might inspire me to actually build the thing five years on!  It is working its way up the stash however and I opted for the Airfix Dambuster kit, S&M Decal sheet, which has a grey over white SMR option with a nice orange and red fuselage band (evercise markings perhaps?)  and the A2Zee Lincoln fin/rudder combo.  I'll probably add the Blackbird Models Post-War Lancaster set, especially as it includes the camera box and fuselage intake, which will make life easier.  It includes wheels which I'm hoping are of the Lincoln style. 

2 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello Tim,

I built a GR 3 years ago, and found that there were whip aerials on the fuselage top. They’re hard to see in photos, but I found a Aeronavale Lanc pic that showed them.  They look to be about 4- 6 feet long. There are also 3 aerials forward of the tail wheel. 

Note that there are 2 versions of the white/ msg scheme applied, one with white leading edges, and one without. 

Depending on which company did the refurbishment, there are also two sizes of upper wing roundel, 84” and 96”. IIRC, it was Short bros. who applied the 96” size.

Hope this helps,

TW

Thanks for the gen, Tony.  Will take a look at that aerial fit.  I have the S&M decal sheet which, rather unhelpfully, suggests the modeller uses the kit provided roundels.  Fine, except the kit doesn't include Type D roundels, not surprisingly.  I should have what's required in the Xtradecal post-War roundel sheet so it will be a case of figuring out what size is appropriate.

The resurrection of this thread has made me re-realise that my GR.3 is still in the Closet of Doom. Maybe time to get her out and dust her off.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

The resurrection of this thread has made me re-realise that my GR.3 is still in the Closet of Doom. Maybe time to get her out and dust her off.

Regards,

Jason

Ha.  Mine's not even out of its box yet.  In fact I'm not even sure where the box is.  Possibly in the loft.

• Like 2

I've got two to build, all SMR Lancs in the two main schemes that they wore.

Would love to convert one of the 1:32 Lanc kits, when I'm braver and richer!

Regarding those upper fuselage whip aerials there are two just aft of the wing trailing edge line, and a longer one just aft of the canopy glazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I've got two to build, all SMR Lancs in the two main schemes that they wore.

Would love to convert one of the 1:32 Lanc kits, when I'm braver and richer!

Regarding those upper fuselage whip aerials there are two just aft of the wing trailing edge line, and a longer one just aft of the canopy glazing.

Thanks.  It's actually very useful to have some pointers regarding the aerials as they are often quite hard to spot in old photees.  I have one question regarding the 1/32nd scale Lanc though.  Where do you put it once it's finished?! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I have the S&M decal sheet which, rather unhelpfully, suggests the modeller uses the kit provided roundels.  

It also has the codes in red, on the white and medium sea grey aircraft the SMR Lancs had mid grey codes.

I have a picture of RF325 in the exc 'Mariner' stripes in a book somewhere.

The spinners where usually either left in white or a painted a blue colour, haven't seen anything that concurs with red.

I think I have most of the decal sets available for the subject, from memory RAFDEC 7206 set containing RE164 (the one you mention earlier) is the only one that gets these details correct and gives the wing top roundels

Where would I put the beast, the last great conundrum!

Edited by 71chally

Indeed, Rafdec sheet 7206 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rafdec-rf7206-raf-1945-1954--972924 has all you need for RE164 in grey/white including unit badges and roundels.

If I might make so bold as to advertise here - I will be putting together a For Sale post over the next few days which will include this sheet.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, 71chally said:

It also has the codes in red, on the white and medium sea grey aircraft the SMR Lancs had mid grey codes.

I have a picture of RF325 in the exc 'Mariner' stripes in a book somewhere.

The spinners where usually either left in white or a painted a blue colour, haven't seen anything that concurs with red.

I think I have most of the decal sets available for the subject, from memory RAFDEC 7206 set containing RE164 (the one you mention earlier) is the only one that gets these details correct and gives the wing top roundels

Where would I put the beast, the last great conundrum!

So it does.  Pity it's incorrect as it's a more attractive scheme with the red.  What about the serial though.  Should that be red?  At this rate there isn't much on the sheet that I'll actually be using although I quite fancy building 'Aries' at some point in the future.  Anyway, I'll take butcher's at the RafDec sheet, thanks.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, rossm said:

Indeed, Rafdec sheet 7206 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rafdec-rf7206-raf-1945-1954--972924 has all you need for RE164 in grey/white including unit badges and roundels.

If I might make so bold as to advertise here - I will be putting together a For Sale post over the next few days which will include this sheet.

Thanks.  I shall take a gander at your for sale post.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Thanks.  I shall take a gander at your for sale post.

Oops, it was posted then deleted 'cos I had an old one. It's there again now.