A/C interior building in 1/144

ATPER

hi everybody!

I would like to know how you build your interiors into the small 1/144 planes?

I always wanted to do one for my diorama (open doors,..) but how do you measure the dimensions etc,.....

thanks a lot for letting me (and others) know,

(btw: wanted to do it on my current Sukhoi SuperJet 100, but in order to not need to throw it away, it remained "normal")

ATPer

Measure the dimensions? I built an Airfix 737-200 with the L1 door open and a scratch built self-contained air stair. I just took pieces of sheet plastic and cut them to fit. It had an entry vestibule, a galley, three rows of seats (only on the right, since the ones on the left would be invisible), and overhead bins. I didn't measure anything. Just build it :)

hm, I once saw somewhere a kit for the A320 to convert it into a diorama (overhead bins, seats etc.....) but isn't it difficult to get it fit nicely etc?

Have you seen these?:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=7902&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=957&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

They provide about as much detail as you can see with the door open. It'd be nice to see some cockpits for the smaller airliners though. Just to have some seats up front would help if you prefer having clear cockpit windows.

that's exactly what I meant :) but, the only thing that worries me is, they provide front and rear, but nothing to hide "the hole" that is built when doors opened and you look backwards (from front) and frontwards (from rear) ...?

I'm with Jennings; it's less about dimensions than about working with the space you've got. Any scratchbuilding, particularly in tiny scales, requires a certain amount of "eyeballing" to lay things out and make things fit, plus a good measure of persistence. When I did my Sea King interior for the 1/144 GB, I made a few bits that turned out slightly too large. I probably could have used them, but I didn't like the look, so I just had to remake them a bit smaller. As for hiding "the holes" visible looking through, a few well-placed bulkheads can do wonders. Unless you're doing a cutaway, you've usually got a little leeway to camouflage your lines of sight in interior spaces.

• Like 1

Paging Mr Kev1n, call for you!

Maybe he didn't see it because there was no mention of getting it dirty

that's exactly what I meant :) but, the only thing that worries me is, they provide front and rear, but nothing to hide "the hole" that is built when doors opened and you look backwards (from front) and frontwards (from rear) ...? think

Depends on the particular aircraft, but in most cases you can't see down the inside of the fuselage of a model anyway, or are you going for the I know it's there approach? I really think overhead bins are something that would be best made from some milliput or similar sculpted to give the effect

Maybe he didn't see it because there was no mention of getting it dirty

Depends on the particular aircraft, but in most cases you can't see down the inside of the fuselage of a model anyway, or are you going for the I know it's there approach? I really think overhead bins are something that would be best made from some milliput or similar sculpted to give the effect

when you build something, you always know "there should be this and this, but it is not there" :) but with the time you forget it also :) but the milliput-overhead bins is a good idea!

ok I'm here now.....

Jennings has the right idea - thats pretty much all I do.

Just cut and sand the parts you need from plastic card...

start by making them slightly too big and sand carefully until everything looks right and stick 'em in

The airwaves stuff is ok so worth buying if only to use as templates for making your own.

Kev1n

Do Airwaves do 1:72nd scale interiors?

Edited by bzn20

I've no idea - only ever bought one set - 747 doors, and I never used them.

There are already pics of my stuff on here somewhere, although I'm happy to repost if needed but where?

hi everybody!

I would like to know how you build your interiors into the small 1/144 planes?

I always wanted to do one for my diorama (open doors,..) but how do you measure the dimensions etc,.....

thanks a lot for letting me (and others) know,

(btw: wanted to do it on my current Sukhoi SuperJet 100, but in order to not need to throw it away, it remained "normal")

ATPer

Lots of response, surpised no-one has suggested these

contour gauge

$T2eC16R,!)!E9s2fCHjSBRT)6o1nFw~~60_35.J

available for about £2.50 PP from ebay

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-125MM-METAL-CONTOUR-SHAPE-PROFILE-GAUGE-FOR-TILES-CARPET-WOOD-/130971603021?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item1e7e84104d

handy for getting internal shapes. You can just use solder or other soft wire to take contours though.

Also, a set of dividers as from a compass set, handy for taking measurements, where you can't easily put a ruler.

there are a set of tools for this, calipers etc, like this

!Bk(jKt!!mk~$(KGrHqQH-CoEs-qyS+IeBL(OKHY

Vernier calipers are very handy for small measurements, that's the thing at the bottom of the picture.

Have a search on ebay, you can probably get a cheap functional set, real ones are expensive.

But, also, before getting carried away, dry fit bits and check what you can see!

HTH

T

I suppose it depends on how much money you have to spend on all the bits n bobs n tools etc.

If you have the dosh, then scratchbuilding becomes much easier measuring-wise

Another method of getting the interior dimensions & profiles is to tape your fuselage together, tape up all the gaps, windows etc, and fill with plaster of paris or herculite. you might get a few drips and leaks as it sets but after half an hour to an hour you can open up the fuselage and leave your plaster cast to harden for 24 hours, once set you cut it up into slices at various point of interest to find the internal profiles.

Obviously this would need to be done before starting your build.

I have done this on my airfix cherokee that I am converting from an arrow to a cherokee 140 so bulkheads are in a different place.

9584937294_dd2673648a.jpg

9582145645_3becc6b784.jpg

9582154145_5b10f5b8be.jpg

Edited by Cheshiretaurus

This is beginning to sound complicated....

I've been very lucky in that people are very kind in what they say about my builds, I must be doing something right since I am even luckier to get awards in competitions on occasion - not all the time, just occasionally.

So it's fair to say I'm not the best around - however;

don't make this a more complex operation than it needs to be.

Whatever works for you is good but keep it simple...just get some plastic card, cut out more or less to shape what you want and sand it gently until it fits......

and it doesn't take very long

Edited by Kev1n