1/32 Revell Eurofighter Typhoon

Finally finished this not very good kit at last. It fought me all the way home. Finished in Saudi colours just for something different.

DSCF1934.JPG

DSCF1931.JPG

DSCF1933.JPG

DSCF1932.JPG

DSCF1935.JPG

1039775_10201472913883501_479259058_o.jp

Added the Aires cockpit (superb) - not exactly a drop fit, but nowhere near as much material to remove as the last Aires job I used. Also used Aires nozzles, much more of a struggle to fit (the kit is filed almost paper thin to accommodate them) - they look brilliant though. Also used Eduard exterior, though half the set is for detailing the kit engines, so not much used in the end.

Saudi decals were part of a booklet set I got from Hannants and the quality of the decals was brilliant. The rest came from the TwoBobs stencils in their Perfect Storm set. I do intend to build more Typhoons but I will build from the Trumpeter kit next time...

I have to offer some sort of a build review as it mystifies me that this kit is lauded as "the only option". This kit was lousy. It has "rush job" written all over it. Every single part (no exaggeration) required flash removal, filling of various sink marks and imperfections (especially the wings and leading edge flaps), sanding or filling of the intrusive injection gates and ejector pin marks, the fit was ambitious at best (apart from the wings, which thankfully were the best fitting parts) and the whole thing is probably more filler than plastic (ok, that is an exaggeration! :D ) Detail is soft and asymmetric (sharper on one half than the other, requiring a lot of rescribing) and the less said about the intakes the better.

A good example of a crap model kit getting the nod over a superior one due to budget and "accuracy" rather than quality - that said, the shape of the rear fuselage is a lot more accurate than the competitor. And though it's much cheaper, you are looking at a resin replacement cockpit at least, probably the Aires engines, possibly a photoetch set and even wheelwells. That puts you way past the £100 mark and very much in the territory of the Trumpeter kit. You pays your money, etc etc!

Alan

• Like 32

Nice job Al - I think I'd probably agree with you over the kit with the benefit of hindsight. It seems to me like a "blown up" 1:48 kit with nothing more to commend it other than the fact that it's a Typhoon in 1:32. No APU, no further detail in the vents on the tail, nothing extra in the gear bays or cockpit, and the same half-depth intakes with difficult construction if you choose to display them without FODs. A shame, and a semi-wasted opportunity really. I think I'd still persevere with it over the Trumpy kit though, but I'm only going on other people's opinions of how important the shape issues are, so might be a bit awry. :)

• Like 1

Lovely build Al! :thumbsup:

Bringing it to Telford?

Agreed that it's not the best quality out there (comment re blown-up 1:48 strikes a chord) - am building one at present (and have a few more in the loft) - I'd still have it over the Trumpeter kit anytime - that one just looks soo wrong in many ways.

Mind you - mine were £25 each in one of the sales...

Iain

you did a splendid job with this one!

I specially like the cockpit and airbrake area, very nice!

Comment to the above said:

I only build the 48th version and most of your comments about buildability are true for it as well....

but still Trumpeters rear fuselage in 32nd is absolutely strange looking!

Cheers!

• Like 1

I have to offer some sort of a build review as it mystifies me that this kit is lauded as "the only option". This kit was absolutely lousy. I don't care what people say about the "accuracy" and even the price difference, this kit has "rush job" written all over it. Every single part (no exaggeration) required flash removal, filling of various sink marks and imperfections (especially the wings and leading edge flaps), sanding or filling of the intrusive injection gates and ejector pin marks, the fit was ambitious at best (apart from the wings, which thankfully were the best fitting parts) and the whole thing is probably more filler than plastic (ok, that is an exaggeration! :D ) Detail is soft and asymmetric (sharper on one half than the other, requiring a lot of rescribing) and the less said about the intakes the better.
A good example of what is a crap model kit getting the nod over a far superior one due to budget and "accuracy" rather than quality and buildability - I admit the shape of the rear fuselage is more accurate than the competitor. And it's a lot cheaper. But to make anything decent out of it, you really are looking at a new cockpit at the very least, probably the Aires engines, possibly a photoetch set and even wheelwells. That puts you way past the £100 mark and very much in the territory of the Trumpeter kit. You pays your money, etc etc!
Al

Looks stunning mate. Nice to see a Saudi jet for a change!

Re the choice of kit in 1/32, as you say it's very much a "pay your money you take your choice" decision when it comes to 1/32 Typhoon kits.

If a modeller wants a kit that goes together reasonably easily and isn't worried about it being 100% accurate then the Trumpeter kit OOB is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately if you are looking for accuracy then you have a problem because the Trumpeter kit is seriously flawed. As well as the rear fuselage you also have to contend with the DASS pods, weapons pylons, seat and cockpit to name but a few.

If accuracy is an issue for you then realistically the Revell kit is the way to go. It is a tough build (I was pretty annoyed at how hard it was when I built mine) and clearly it was rushed out, but OOB it is the more accurate of the two by quite some margin, although I wish it had proper intakes! It can be improved with some aftermarket additions, which adds cost, but the result will be a more more accurate model of the aircraft overall.

Like we've both said, the choice of kit depends on the priorities of the person building it. I won't buy a Trumpeter kit myself because it's too flawed for me, but I've seen some absolutely brilliant builds of it and I enjoy looking at them when they appear at shows or online.

• Like 1

Congratulation it looks very smart indeed. I too bought the 72nd kit after seeing the 48th kit at a mates home one afternoon. It too gave me a run for my money, it was only after I had finished it I found out they had stuffed an Italeri kit into the box!

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

What a cracking build and refreshingly different in RSAF markings. It's a shame however you had so many problems with this build as I have bought this same kit (in preference to the Trump one) with all the Aires addd-ons you mention and now it's gone to the bottom of the pile following your comments! Glad you perservered and ended up with such a great end result though.

Gary

As I said elsewhere, lovely job Al. Not my favorite airplane by any stretch but you've done a sterling job on the old thing knowing what's been said by many others about the dreadful fit, soft detail, filler, etc. Great to see one in anything other than RAF markings too.

By jingo those Saudis know how to build hangars ! , just look at those bricks, parquet flooring and potted palms !!...

• Like 1

Good bad or indifferent kit, the build is up to your usual high standard!

Thanks a lot peeps.

I'm sorry for making such a whingey review of the kit, I don't want to put anyone off trying it . Even a quick skim of Revell builds will serve up some very classy results just on this site alone.

Al

Here in Malta we get these saudi typhoons on their delivery flight to saudi arabia and all what i can say is you've nailed it!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Saudi-Arabia--/Eurofighter-EF-2000-Typhoon/1547991/L/&sid=b4a373490773a6206bb97b7cd6499485

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Saudi-Arabia--/Eurofighter-EF-2000-Typhoon/1563906/L/&sid=c7c0ce9ff5ad2ecb725187e2523b4a0f

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

• 4 years later...