Scottish Maid 1839 Aberdeen Clipper Schooner

seadog

Oh the sails will work out...or else. No, really it's an old technique. I believe worked out origanally by Derek Hunniset. I got it from Philip Reed's and Robert Wilson's excellent books. It's actually pretty simple, just takes a lot of care. If it's useful, I'll do a step by step?

• Like 2

I'd be another interested in seeing you paper sail technique Seadog.

You are certainly full of interesting and original idea's, Thanks for sharing them with us

I also think we are all in for a show as this rigging continues, between yourself and Foxy's efforts this is great stuff.

Regards Callum

That sail making is very Interesting, would also like to see how you perfect this for your ship.

Coming on very nicely and like the way you have made the beckets etc.

Hope your trip is rewarding and if your down in Cornwall, please drop in for a tipple or two.

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Foxy, Ta very much! Sadly only down in the homeland (Kernow) for a couple of days Truro, by train. Give us a thought as you raise a pint!

Right-e-oooo Off in an hour, back to Blighty. So nothing till the Noo Yur. Have a Happy Christmas/solstice/Jul or whatever!

dragon-xmas_zpsf8627a92.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, Sorry about the lack of posts, we got back from England (where I slipped up and bought a 1/48th Airfix Spit XIX - can't think how that happened :D)

Our fallen telephone line only got repaired yesterday, having been blown down on Xmas Eve. As it happens I came back with a nasty chest infection, so modelling is on hold till I stop feeling like sh*t....Snot nice at all. ;)

Get well soon seadog and back to the brilliant build you are doing. :speak_cool: .

'OT'. Well were having some foul weather here at the mo, with flooding and high winds.

Not good weather for sailing :winkgrin:

Cheers foxy :coolio:

OK, Sailmaking for Dummies actually more like by a Dummy... Ain't rocket science, but um, ain't easy either... I've been doing a lot of, um, experimenting...(read 'cocking up') I've tried various papers. Reed uses tissue, but then he's working at a smaller scale. I kept ripping them. Daler Layout Paper, is strong, acid free and weighs in at 45g -thin- without being too fragile is what I'm using at the moment.

So watcha do is stain the paper a nice warm off-white with some yellow ochre water colour applied to both sides with an airbrush. I taped the paper to an old canvas stretcher so I could do both sides at once... Then, draw lines (both sides, and make sure they line up) to represent the panels that make up a sail, back then they were generally about 2ft. wide. It helps, a lot, to have patterns printed out to trace from. Layout paper is thin enough to see through to do this.

IMG_7272---Copy_zps68a5f3f6.jpg

I tried printing the lines out, but couldn't get an accurate enough line up to do both sides... Right. Cut out yer sail/s

The usual thing is to then put the sail onto the 'mould' a ceiling light glass cover, in this case, but a a plastic bowl giving a reasonable curve would be best.

ThenIMG_7275_zpsb1388ab7.jpg stretch a chunk of old tee-shirt over it and dry. A hair drier or fan heater is good at this point as blowing on it would probably be exhausting and take a long time...

IMG_7277---Copy_zps79c534f5.jpg

Then you'd start gluing on the relevent doubled bits, like the edging and where the reef points go through..

IMG_7278---Copy_zps918be334.jpg

In fact, I found that it worked OK to put all those bits on while it was still flat and then set in the curve. Here's a tops'l I made today. It's not quite right as it stuck slightly to the glass and shows a bit of damage so I'll be making yet another, but you get the idea: a translucent sail with the shadows of the tablings etc.

IMG_7526_zps97230e22.jpg

IMG_7528_zps03f1505c.jpg

It'll be alright on the night, really!

• Like 4

Hmmm. You're working at 180th? if my not-so-hot arithmetic is right that's 1/15 to the foot? The guys whose ideas I'm using work at 1/16th...in some ways it's easier on the titchy scales. On large scale ships like Billings' Roar Ege Viking ship which is 1/20th scale - better than 1/2inch to the foot I used very fine linen. Don't think I posted any shots of her. Did the sewing on my wife's machine, exceptfor the bolt rope around the edge of the sail which had to be hand sewn. To get the sail to 'belly out' I tacked it into a, frame soaked it and piled in sand, then let it dry and slathered it with acrylic matt medium to keep it that way.

roar_38.jpg

roar_37.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, drugged up, chest infection seemingly abating. The barky is now on it's base and the base is pretty well painted..bits of foam to be added....

I've also got the first sail up - hooray, but haven't included a shot yet as I've had to hunt up references about the run of it's sheets.....details, always more details. More tomorrow, all being well!

IMG_7533_zps1824fd7c.jpg

IMG_7534_zps464062cc.jpg

IMG_7535_zpsd726e37c.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you. I reckon it'll be alright when really finished. Meanwhile sail nr. one of eight is now in place and it's dawning on me how many bloody little blocks I still have to make...

IMG_7554_zps2171c034.jpg

• Like 5