Scottish Maid 1839 Aberdeen Clipper Schooner

seadog

Rigging...more of. Haven't had a lot of time to work on the ship as this time of year there's all that crap like firewood to be thinking of etc. etc. However...

I've been seeing how small I can turn bullseyes - this one is about 1.5mm. Don't think much smaller is practical. They have a habit of flying off into the ulu...

bullseye_zpsad4fda9b.jpg

So here's the bowsprit and jb-boom with their standing rigging. Nice to be finally getting on with what makes a sailing ship interesting. Lot of eyestrain to come!

bowsprit_-rigging_zps2e5a324c.jpg

• Like 2

I have got to say I thought I was quite good a building model ship but after looking at some of these projects I am humbled you are obviously all supremely expert at it.

You have inspired my to improve my knowledge my subject great work keep it up

Ummm, expert? Moi? O dear. Wish I was. I usually have to do most things twice - on a good day - before I get them right. One of my Art Instructors in university said never accept anything less than your best effort....cause of a lot of teeth grinding. What research does for me is repeatedly show me how little I know, and in a lot of cases, how little is known by anyone. Sails on Viking ships springs to mind, f'r instance.

My art tutor told me to stick to illustration as I was not dextrose enough for anything else. Well i love model making but I only like drawing, its ironic the thing I love I am not so good at, it don't stop me loving it though.

So I will take inspiration from you and people like you and continue to improve, I hope anyway.

Right. Lots of 'other work' done, to the cost of model building...Autumn... Started rigging! Time to get they shrouds and tackles and stays up. Stropping blocks onto what will be the fore tackle...

IMG_7200_zps71ca5d87.jpg

This is the first pair of shrouds, in real practice you start with the fore mast and work back and up. Shrouds go up in pairs unless there's an uneven number. First up is the forward, starboard pair of shrouds. The bent bits of wire hopefully keep the distance for the lanyards near as dammit to level, deadeyes at various heights look awful.

IMG_7201_zps7b0f352c.jpg

So here are the lanyards rove through the deadeyes

IMG_7206_zpsc5410352.jpg

Hmmm, just noticed that nasty little gap under the rail...there's always something, eh?

What a sweet thing to say.

Nigel, you are incorrigible...so there. ;)

• Like 3

Hi F,

For want of a better description all I can say is you are doing magnificent work on a splendid build of something I wouldn't even contemplate undertaking, thanks for showing off your progress.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Rattling down the shrouds...hmmm, Ratlines, obviously what a rodent has if he's in a movie. Yes, well.

IMG_7210_zpsd3dd89f6.jpg

Buried in amongst the shrouds are also the fore tackle, used, so I understand for tasks like getting the anchors aboard.. ratlines are a test of patience...You're not getting a closer look because you'll see how untidy they are :banghead: I took a few hours the other day and overhauled my work area.

I used some MDF that was going to get Gessoed and painted on and created the shelf at the back and then added 'fids' on the sides to stop those minute bits rolling off the desk. Not that it helps much as most bits are lost by pinging out of a pair of tweezers and launching themselves into a nearby black hole....but it is definitely an improvement. Rigging continues.

IMG_7207_zpsee3fdef7.jpg

• Like 3

More string....and wire. Starting to look a bit more like a ship now.... Fore and Main tackle, Main shrouds and the top masts in place....and a shed-load more to go.

IMG_7214_zpsa9858e4a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments. Murdo: It's small scale so that I can case it when it's done and actually be able to but it somewhere! Working to 1/48th, or 1/64th would be much easier! Working at 1/8th to the foot is just the big end on miniatures. Googl Lloyd Mcaffery, Don McNarry or Phillip Read - I have their books, but couldn't work at the scales they do. If you work at a larger scale, you can get your blocks and such off the shelf, get small and everything except the belaying pins I got from Cornwall Model Boats, has to be scratch built. I used to have a ropewalk I made...and must, when I can get the bits, make another. What Foxy is doing with that old Victory is great, and it occurs to me that etched brass for some of the tiny stuff, like blocks and cleats, would be ideal stuff for PE. At the mo, it would be prohibitively expensive, I think.

More soon. Spent Yesterday drawing up a cartoon Christmas card.

Discovered that I was busily rigging the mainmast incorrectly...typical! I stumbled across a scratch-built Scottish Maid someone had done a while back, plank on frame. He must have had a much clearer copy of MacGregor's sail plan than appears in the books! However, if the contemorary painting I found of SM is anything to go by, even he's not completely right... Anyway here's where I was at last night, crosstrees and futtock shrouds, ready to put up the topmast shrouds....until.

IMG_7215_zps0480da12.jpg

So today I ripped it to bits and re-did it and repaired the damage (ahem). So now it looks like this.

IMG_7216_zpsdbde42c8.jpg

More like a Yacht rig... I thought it looked pretty unusual and then I looked at an engraving of 'Wild Daryl, an Opium Clipper by Whites of Cowes. Same rig...whew. Anyway I'm happy (enough) with it.

• Like 2

Lower or Jackyard fitted out with jackstay, stuns'l irons and raised then lifts and braces, and before I forgot it completly the main topmast stay... busy. There's a one and a half hour lag between getting a fire going downstairs in the barn and when my 'lair' gets warm enough to work in. The stove really eats into our firewood supply too! Whinge moan. So here are the pics.

There are a lot of blocks, most of which I have to make as the commercially avaible stuff isn't really small enough...So you drill lots of holes in a 2mm strip of wood and then start carving blocks... I should add I spent a good few hours dismantling my dremel 'work station' and cutting away bits of plastic and tightening screws before it would drill a truly vertical hole...mutter grumble plastic rubbish.The ones in the pic were done (and rejected) before that...

IMG_7218_zps67d86540.jpg

Lots of belaying pins - these are commercially available brass ones, 5mm long - just about OK. The real fun bit is making little coils of rope for them...a real test of resolve.

IMG_7224_zps2bcee35e.jpg

The lower fore yard. Slightly wobbly jack stay...won't be noticible with a sail laced to it, I hope.

IMG_7225_zpsd296d9ff.jpg

I find I'm working with ever finer threads as some of the lines in real life would only be about 15mm diameter.... My old flytying vise comes in really handy for doing fiddly bits of lashing etc. - that's a brace pendant in the picture.

IMG_7219_zps5ef5c43a.jpg

Here she is at the end of todays session... still a long way to go. Ta for looking.

• Like 3

Cheers. You can do coils of 'rope' in a couple of ways. You can, and I did on that one, actually coil thread around the belaying pin and then brush on some glue to make it stay in a coil... not CA because it darkens the thread too much.

• 2 weeks later...

On the offchance you all thought I was loafing...I've been working on rigging components, and while I was at it I managed to break the lower yard...ho hum. made another one, that took most of a day. I've also been trying out a technique I've read about for making lifelike paper sails....

IMG_7265_zps0df0a6b3.jpg

...getting there. Slowly. It also hit me that we're off to the UK for Christmas and I really need to have the case done by then so that I don't come back to a model covered in an inch of dust or that the resident Black Rat had been using a yard as a toothpick... soooo,

IMG_7264_zps80543f42.jpg

Acrylic sheet and wood. Fortunately I managed to get some glue that will stick acrylic sheet before the idiot legislation came into effect. The case will be all right on the night.... :) Bit more fettling to be done, not to mention the wood corners.

• Like 1