Gulp - a.k.a taking the first-post-plunge! Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1b

Hello BM'ers...

It's with a due mix of excitement and dread that I post these pics...my very first publicly aired build. I came back to the hobby around 5 months ago, and have truly become immersed in it...

I realise that there are a lot of Typhoons around at the moment, so you'll have to forgive me for choosing a common subject. Built straight out of the box, painted with Tamiya Acrylics (including the invasion stripes) and then weathered using a mix of oils, pencil and Humbrol powders.

My thoughts:

- I need to pay a LOT more attention to the fine detail of decal placement (leading edges, for example, compounded by knocking over a bottle of micro-sol mid-aligment)

- I should take up the carpet in my study so I don't lose things like radio antennae and foot-steps to the carpet monster

- I should never over-do weathering...wink wink. Like all art forms, I realise weathering is a mix of realism, subtlety and skill. Hopefully I might pick at least one of the three up with a bit more practise!

I realise this is a long way from perfect, but it's the first build (of 5 so far...) that I'm actually happy with. It's a lovely kit, and heartily recommended, but watch out for leading-edge wing-root fit issues. The decals set perfectly with Microsol. I enjoyed it so much I've just picked up another one...

Now - enough prevarication, on with the shots:

(be kind!)

9501975207_98758ddabd_c.jpg
9501975011_f49ca096ce_c.jpg
9501974715_b14ae9176d_c.jpg
9504776600_9ae538c4f9_c.jpg
9504776218_222271de79_c.jpg
9504775892_6162cb7a35_c.jpg
9501973521_a034836fb6_c.jpg
  • Like 8

First of all congratulations on loosing your posting cherry ! :winkgrin:

The aircraft looks great, weathering as in all finishes is personal taste, providing you like the finished article other opinions shouldn't matter, although it's great when other people say they like it ! :thumbsup:

I'm confident you will rightly get lots of encouragement to take into your next project. :goodjob:

Cheers Pat

Hell of a comeback good sir!

I really like what you have done with the place!

Weathering is probs a bit much for most people but as Jockney said, it's all down to personal taste - I tend to go heavy on my weathering as well - have to make a conscious effort to put the brush down and step away from the table!!

Well done and look forward to seeing what you do next.

Pete

Nothing wrong with that at all, it looks great.

It does look mean.

Keep going with your next build, I find that things improve with time and practice, I have only been back into the hobby for about 2 years now and have definitely seen an improvement in my skills.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

As someone else said, you are too hard on yourself, sir. You've done a great job on the build and of photographing it as well! Especially for a drummer (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, standard musician's joke :)) Weathering is purely a subjective thing and I, for one, really like what you've done. Welcome back to the hobby!

DC

Edited by dxtopher

The words that popped into my head were "ooh that's grungy - I like it!". From another who's only recently back into the hobby (and has just done this kit!) you should be spurred on by the quality of this one. I'm going to be a git and say the rudder is set a smidge too high but that's two minutes to fix (and I fully expect the same in return when I invariably post a balls up here - for starters, putting rockets on my Canadian Typhoon when they only carried bombs...) sigh. :banghead: