USS Dortch DD-670, Trumpeter 1/350

Hi All,

One more ship completed this year - it's the USS Dortch, a Fletcher-class destroyer converted to the late-war anti-kamikaze AA configuration of 14x 40mm Bofors guns and 12x 20mm Oerlikons.

The model is the Trumpeter "The Sullivans" kit which makes an interesting comparison to the more highly-thought-of Tamiya kit. The Tamiya version is severely limited in how much you can make out of the box, whereas the Trumpeter gives you the option of two different configurations (1943 and 1945) and therefore far more options.

Unfortunately it's not the best kit in terms of detail, and I added loads of scratchbuilt bulkhead details and antennae for the mast and ECM rig. I also used L'Arsenal Bofors and Oerlikons plus the GMM PE set for this kit.

Paint was WEM Haze Gray 5-H and Navy Blue 5-N enamel with Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue acrylic for the deck colour . I finally added crew figures from Eduard. The seascape was my favourite recipe - polystyrene base, Acrylic paint and gloss gel, and toilet paper waves.

Pics courtesy of IPMS Farnborough website.

DSCF8179.JPG

DSCF8180.JPG

DSCF8181.JPG

DSCF8182.JPG

Cheers,

Al

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work on that old reeker of a kit. I've thought of getting one (since they're cheap) and combining it with the Tamiya I have.

• 2 months later...