1/32nd scale Halifax - finished

Hi Tom

Resin castings is quite easy, I'm sure if I can do, with your ability you'll find it a breeze, and when you start doing, you 'll think to your self why I hadn't tried it before, just think you will only have to make one wheel, and one engine and cast the rest, or even a propeller etc, and you you might even be able to sell them.

Hi Tom

Resin castings is quite easy, I'm sure if I can do, with your ability you'll find it a breeze, and when you start doing, you 'll think to your self why I hadn't tried it before, just think you will only have to make one wheel, and one engine and cast the rest, or even a propeller etc, and you you might even be able to sell them.

Thanks Kev - be prepared for a good brain picking at Southern Expo!

The gear is on - well temporarily anyway.

I've done a test-fit to check that everything is nice and level and sits as it should before I finish detailing the gear bays. I've had to make one tyre slightly flatter than the other as the left wing tip was 3mm lower than the right (I think the left wing has a slight warp which I've only just noticed, but hey ho!) but it doesn't notice to the eye so I'm happy. It's as good as I'm going to get it anyhow...

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

I've also just had confirmation that the prop blades and carb. intakes that I've had cast are on their way too... happy days.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 2

I am more amazed each time you update your efforts.

How many hours do you have in it so far?

I await your next update - keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback folks - it's much appreciated :)

How many hours do you have in it so far?

Good question - I'd estimate a good 250 or so thus far. When I did the 1/32nd Lancaster, Liberator and Superfortress they were approaching 500 each.

Although the main building part of this is out of the way now, it's the smaller, final details that take the time.

Before painting I still need to do (most of it scratch-built):

• Re-scribing many areas
  • Radiator shutters
  • Exhausts
  • Propellers
  • Final bomb bay details (racks, doors - all 24 for the wing cells!)
  • Wing-tip lights
  • Finish cockpit interior
  • Aerials
  • Transparencies
  • Turret interiors and mould my own mid-upper
  • Wheel doors
  • And I'm sure there's more!

Still a long way to go... :unsure:

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Evening Tom,

How are you going to tackle the throttle box?

Cees

Hi Cees,

No idea yet - although I've looked at the pictures of your full-size cockpit and will use that as a guide. No doubt the usual plastic card and sprue will come to the rescue when the time comes.

Tom

Cheers guys :blush:

I'm currently working on getting the engine nacelles finished off. I've re-shaped the radiator intakes as wasn't completely happy with them as well as working on the radiator shutters and carb intakes.

Another update in the not-too-distant future all being well.

Tom

I'm sure what ever work you do on the engine and intakes will come out perfect.

I hope to reach you level of skill and ingenuity one day, but I think that day is a long way off.

No fear of any competion from me.

I've just sat and had a read through this whole thread, I'm in awe. I keep looking at my Star Destroyer that I'm only modifiying and wonder why I can't be bothered when I see what you've managed! Thanks for making such detailed posts for us!

I'm sure what ever work you do on the engine and intakes will come out perfect.

I hope to reach you level of skill and ingenuity one day, but I think that day is a long way off.

No fear of any competion from me.

Many thanks for the kind words, but it just a case of being willing to have a go and a lot of trial and error. I'm being completely honest when I say this - there's no great or secret skill involved - you should see my rubbish bin at the end of scratch-building session: the vast majority of my efforts go straight in to the rubbish pile!

Thanks for making such detailed posts for us!

It's my pleasure :)

The only reason I do post my efforts is for other modellers to see that projects such as this are not really that hard, and vacforms are not something to be afraid of. Unfortunately it's a dying side of our hobby, but my mission is to show what they're like and challenge everyone to have a go at one. They develop your skills like no other medium in my opinion - they've certainly made me a better modeller (I hope!) and have given me the opportunity to add some unique subjects to my collection.

Tom

Great work Tom. Exactly how big is your display cabinet with a 1/32 Lanc, Liberator and Superfortress? I'm currently building a 1/32 He-111 but apart from the dining room table and TV stand it hasn't a home.

Display cabinet? :lol: Our entire spare bedroom is my display cabinet! And don't forget to add a 1/32nd B-17 and 1/72nd 747 to the above list, too!

More to update you on with the engines...

As I'm sure you remember from earlier in the build, the engines were pretty basic as they came in the 'box' with the carburetor intakes and the exhausts moulded on to the nacelles:

IMG_1893-1.jpg

These wouldn't pass in this scale, so off they came, and I made my own masters to be cast in resin. Well they've arrived, and I must say they are excellent:

S1033920.jpg

S1033923.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, I've got far more than I need (as well as propeller blades) so if anyone has this kit and wants a set of intakes please get in touch!

I've improved the shape of the radiator intakes, as well as adding the radiator shutters to the undersides of the nacelles, which were made from plastic card. The new carburetor intakes look the part when installed:

S1033897.jpg

S1033901.jpg

S1033902.jpg

S1033905.jpg

S1033908.jpg

S1033912.jpg

I've still got the exhausts and propellers to make, so hopefully when installed the engines will look a lot better than what I started with!

Until next time...

Tom

• Like 1