1/32nd scale Halifax - finished

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed the starboard wing now, with the outboard engine being added and various other details added to the nacelles such as the cowling fasteners etc. I've also made some slightly raised details from very thin plastic card such as the fuel filler caps and various removable panels, as well as the three winching holes on the upper wing situated above the bomb-cells on the inner sections of the wing:

S1030020.jpg

S1030018.jpg

S1030011.jpg

There's still some work to do on the radiator intakes, I need to add the radiator shutters and I need to make the smaller carburetor intakes for each side of the nacelles, but this work will be done later on in the build when the wings are attached to the fuselage and the risk of damaging them is reduced a little.

Both wings are now looking a bit more Halifax-like:

S1030022.jpg

S1030024.jpg

S1030009.jpg

S1030006.jpg

I've also started some preliminary work on the wing bomb-cells, as I want to detail these whilst the wings are off as it's much easier to handle them before they are added to the fuselage.

I'll update you again when the bomb-cells are completed.

Tom

Brilliant work as ever Tom, are you bringing one of these beasts to SMW??

I may well bring this along as a WIP, but I'm afraid the big B-29 will be staying at home. It's simply too big to fit in my car without the seats down, and with the cost of fuel and me being south of London I try to fill the car with as many passengers as possible to share the diesel.

The B-29 will most definitely making the trip to Southern Expo at Hornchurch though as it's not far at all for me and thus fuel won't be an issue. Hopefully this project will also be well on the way to completion by then too, so I'll bring this as well.

Thank you for the kind words smile.png

There's more progress to report on this build, as I've done some preliminary work on the fuselage. A fellow member on another forum I visit sent me his fuselage that he didn't get around to finishing, upon which he had made a most impressive start (and in the meantime has saved me a great deal of work!)

I pieced the fuselage halves together after joining the sections (the previous owner had cut them into three separate pieces) and have done a little further cleaning up of the parts etc. I've also added interlocking tabs on each side of the fuselage to enhance the joins when it comes to gluing them together:

S1030038.jpg

S1030035.jpg

S1030029.jpg

S1030026.jpg

I've also had a play with the wings - they are just resting alongside the fuselage at the moment but give a taste of things to come - I must say ID Models have got the shape spot on to my eye and it looks every inch a Halifax to me:

S1030032.jpg

S1030033.jpg

I'm now going to continue with the interior - plastic card at the ready!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some more significant progress with the fuselage interior over the last week.

I've been concentrating on the interior structure of the flightdeck, engineer's compartment and nose, which includes the wireless operator and the navigator/bomb-aimer areas.

The thicker, vertical ribs were added first from Evergreen strip and bent to shape, and then each of the thinner stringers were carefully measured, cut, and added individually over a few sessions :banghead:

Here is the starboard side with the basics of the heating duct as well as the steps down from the upper flight-deck level:

S1030041.jpg

S1030050.jpg

This is the port side with the compartment for the radio operator (rear) and the navigator's desk made from plastic card. The flightdeck itself will sit above this:

S1030043.jpg

S1030047.jpg

Both sides together:

S1030045.jpg

There are still many more details to be added to these areas, but as the main structure was complete I wanted to get a coat of paint on to see how it looks. The colours are slightly off here due to fluorescent lighting but you get the general idea:

S1030054.jpg

S1030055.jpg

S1030061.jpg

I've sprayed the rear part of the fuselage matt black as this won't be seen and therefore I just wanted it to look dark inside thought the little windows in the rear sections of the fuselage.

I'll now begin working on the interior bulkheads etc. and the flightdeck itself...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 4

Bloomin' marvellous; I have only just stumbled on this thread, and will be an avid follower. [Plus it makes me feel all the more pathetic for having stalled over some scratch-built engine bearers on my Barracuda!]

Many thanks for the kind words and interest :)

I've got the flight engineer's rear bulkhead completed this evening. I must confess it's not 100% accurate as the door isn't there on the real aircraft (well, I've done a fair bit of reading and it seems it was there on the very early aircraft but was quickly removed in service.) I didn't want to just leave a gaping hole where the walkway is and have to add shed loads of extra detail to the fuselage interior further back. Call me lazy, but... :whistle:

The chap who gave me the model had made a start on the shape of the bulkhead so I knew the shape was right, and I then added the extra details to bring it to life, once again from Evergreen and plastic card, as well as some items from the spares box. I can't guarantee all details are correct as I couldn't find any pictures of a MkII Halifax in this area - all pictures I found on the net were of the MkIII but I presume they're similar.

Here's an 'under construction' picture before paint. The penny gives an idea of the size of the pieces required for a heavy bomber in 1/32nd scale:

S1030063.jpg

And after paint and a little light weathering:

S1030064.jpg

I made the dials themselves by drilling plastic card, backing it, spraying it black and then scratching the dial detail on with a needle. When I add a drop of PVA to their faces they'll pass just fine.

S1030066.jpg

Here is the bulkhead in situ:

S1030067.jpg

S1030069.jpg

Total time to make this one piece was about 6 hours... but that's what building models such as this is all about!

I'm off to make more interior bulkheads now and if anyone is interested I'll show how I get (reasonably) accurate bulkheads in my next update.

Tom

• Like 2