Bomber Command's unsung hero?

Like the B-24 Liberator of the USAAF, the Halifax is often overlooked when considering the success of RAF Bomber Command in WWII.

This is Revell's recent new-tool Halifax MkI/II in 1/72nd scale.

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

I used Freightdog's improvement set to go some way towards correcting the engine shape issues, as well as a more accurate set of propellers, main wheels and H2S blister. This set is excellent, and the intakes simply slot into the front of the nacelles as a direct replacement of the kit parts without issue - no filler was needed at all. A new set of exhausts came from Quickboost, too.

Paints were Xtracolour enamels (I think I got the mix wrong for the dark earth as it is very dark!) and it had a final matt varnish from a Humbrol rattle can. Decals were from Xtradecal.

Tom

• Like 11

Tom

That's a very nice looking Halifax, i have one in the stash, which i intend to build as HR926 - TL-L a B mk2 srs 1a of 35 Pathfinder sqdn as flown by Sqb Ldr Alec Cranswick.

I also have the Freightdog set, and from what you say it would seem to be an easy fix. It certainly goes a long way to improve the look of the kit.

I hope mine ends up half as good looking as yours.

regards

Paul

Hi Tom

Really great job, :goodjob: very true that the Halifax is unappreciated but so too is the Stirling, unfortunately the Lancaster always gets the glory.

I have the matchbox one to make, is this the original Revell one ?

Cheers Pat

The fact that the Freightdog set fitted shows it is the new tool from Revell which came out last year(?) There was a lengthy thread which compared it to the earlier Matchbox derived Revell kitting & looked at improvements needed. Worth searching for but imho what Tom has done with his should tick most boxes without radical surgery. Nice job there Tom, I'd be more than happy with this. :thumbsup:

Steve.

How does it stack up against the Modelcraft/Matchbox offering?

I honestly don't know as I haven't built any other kits of this aircraft. All I know is the well documented engine issues with the Revell kit, hence the Freightdog conversion parts.

Looks great Tom. Have you used an aftermarket front clear part ? I recall the kit part is very thick but you've hidden this well if not.

Cheers

Hi Woody,

No it's the kit part, but I painted the mating surfaces black before joining it to the fuselage. This way it hides the thick plastic and makes it look a lot thinner than it actually is.

The fact that the Freightdog set fitted shows it is the new tool from Revell which came out last year(?) There was a lengthy thread which compared it to the earlier Matchbox derived Revell kitting & looked at improvements needed. Worth searching for but imho what Tom has done with his should tick most boxes without radical surgery. Nice job there Tom, I'd be more than happy with this. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

And yes I agree - it certainly improves the look of the model without having to do anything too radical. I think the larger wheels from Freightdog and the better shaped props are really what makes the difference.

• Like 1

Nice one!!

I think that, using the nose that you have, it's necessary to fill some of the glazing (teardrop windows and the small ones below them).

How did you do that so neatly?

(Only asking because I collected my Halifax today and want to build a similar version to yours).

Nice one!!

I think that, using the nose that you have, it's necessary to fill some of the glazing (teardrop windows and the small ones below them).

How did you do that so neatly?

(Only asking because I collected my Halifax today and want to build a similar version to yours).

Yes you are right, many windows had to be filled. It's simply a case of adding the glazing and then adding some filler over the top. Then sand smooth and re-scribe any missing panel lines, and hey presto!

• Like 1

Yes you are right, many windows had to be filled. It's simply a case of adding the glazing and then adding some filler over the top. Then sand smooth and re-scribe any missing panel lines, and hey presto!

Thanks, Tom -

I guessed that was how but thought I'd check.

Running out of excuses to start mine, now!

Cheers,

Jonny

• 2 years later...