The fact that there is one company out there that is bothered with releasing airliners at all should be applauded, regardless of the livery that it is released in.

They are not going to liverys that might change in the 4 years till delivery.

None of us know that. Look at the new Iberia scheme, that was a surprise to me and I worked out of Madrid for over three years!

The house colours are, imho, excellent as an initial release and we all know that TwoSix will be along very, very soon with liveries for just about every company that has ordered the A350, so personally, I cannot see what all the fuss is about?

And as for the real thing? I've seen it up close and personal a few times now and she certainly is a lovely aircraft!

• Like 2

Sometimes, I think it would be good if some model companies offered kits with no decal sheets at all (or maybe just a sheet of stencils/safety markings) and a slightly lower cost for those of us who like to build up large fleets of the same model but with alternate aftermarket decals. I've got a dozen or more Revell Haribo decal sheets that are too nice to bin. Hasegawa did this several years ago with their 1/200 series - I thought it was a good idea.

Jeff

Frog did it many moons ago with (I think the Herald). Modellers wrote to the airlines involved in the promotion for a sheet. Not sure if there was a charge though.

Trevor

I'm looking forward to seeing my first A350. I hope the nose looks better in the flesh than it does in photos; some things are like that, it takes subtle light reflections and such to really gain an appreciation of some shapes and forms.

The newer model pictures look good and it seems the flight deck windshield fits better. It would seem then, that the model is due for imminent release? Looking forward to it.

Frog did it many moons ago with (I think the Herald). Modellers wrote to the airlines involved in the promotion for a sheet. Not sure if there was a charge though.

Trevor

That's not a bad idea - that way the airlines can keep control (ish) over their image and the quality of its reproduction. And it may also send a gentle hint to those airlines that have a less than popular scheme if no one asks for their decal sheets!!!

I'm glad Revell have once again taken the lead in releasing a new airliner design in 1/144.

Unlike even the slightly unusual, modern designs of the A380/787, it is a very conventional looking airliner though. When will one of the major manufacturers actually push the envelope? Boeing almost did it with the Sonic Cruiser, but apparently airlines (and their clientele), not to mention the ignorant, lazy media get all jittery and scared if something looks too radical.

The Sonic Cruiser ended up as the still quite racy looking 7E7, but even that ended up looking more or less the same as everything else, apart from the Comet-like nose and the sweeping, pointy wings. The A350 looks as dull as dishwater by comparison, a design variant of the A330 family. I'm sure as shooting not going to make a model of it!

Al

I don't think Boeing almost di it with the Sonic cruiser....it was never going to happen

There have been fanciful concept ideas right from the beginning that never went anywhere and the Sonic Cruiser was one of those...thank goodness. :lol:

Edited by garryrussell

It's often remarked on at work how bland the modern computer designed aeroplanes look now. Although isn't it amazing that after all these years the computers now give them the same nose the Comet had that was designed by a man with a pencil! The trouble with the more racey designs is that they don't fit the airport infrastructures although some of the artists' impressions of next generation short haul aircraft are definitely more out there.

Are you on the 78 yet Al?

Cheers

Glen

• Like 1

I don't think Boeing almost di it with the Sonic cruiser....it was never going to happen

There have been fanciful concept ideas right from the beginning that never went anywhere and the Sonic Cruiser was one of those...thank goodness. :lol:

Actually the 787 is the twisted offspring of the Sonic Cruiser, most of the planned technologies made it into the 787, just in a more conventional package.

And yes Glen, started in September, loving it! (Explains the obvious bias here!)

Al

I don't think much of the over scale tubes around the nose.

At least they are there (even if they do point the wrong way in the pic...)

I just saw on wonderlandmodels.com that the A350 will be avaiable on November 20th.

Oh no! That will mean another kit to try and sneak into the house. The boot of my car has currently got a 1/72 Revell Airbus A400M lurking under the floor mat, just waiting for the right time.

"You didn't buy any more kits at Telford, did you?". "Of course not!!"

Dave

I wished I lived in a place where there was huge model shows like Telfords; but living in the States there just isn't any huge model shows like that.

I'm so grateful my fiancee embrases my hobby. Come November 20th I'll have 2 on the way to my house. With that being said I need to go finish up my Emirates 777-200.

Edited by T.Moore1521
  • Like 1

Where I live there are none at all, never been one large or small :(

I live in Louisiana and there aren't any here either. The only "hobby shops" I live buy are 2 arts and crafts stores and they only have a select pick of models(no airliners what so ever).

I have to buy all my kits strictly online.