Hello guys and girls!

Just finished what has to be the best model I have every built! Ever so proud of it! Also first time I tried out using Humbrol weathering wash, (First time using a wash at all!) Also first time using Humbrol Clear, and it works a charm! The clever people say that it is basically the same as Johnsons Klear. Anyway, back to the model. It went together ever so nicely, and only took a few days to complete, and that was to my own surprise rather quick compared to what I normally do! But I just could not leave this model! :D So, this is how it turned out.

9519508172_e4334d1154_b.jpg
_DSC0774 by Matcham11, on Flickr
9519506328_5597065047_b.jpg
_DSC0775 by Matcham11, on Flickr
9516716149_d402299338_b.jpg
_DSC0776 by Matcham11, on Flickr
9516714879_2992ea3027_b.jpg
_DSC0777 by Matcham11, on Flickr
9516713365_5ce6654925_b.jpg
_DSC0778 by Matcham11, on Flickr
9519500462_22a41dbb93_b.jpg
_DSC0779 by Matcham11, on Flickr

Robin

Edited by Matcham11
  • Like 3

How did you get on with the Humbrol weathering wash? i've been meaning to get some and give them a try myself.

As it was my first attempt at doing washes myself I was quite surprised with it. Clearcoat everything first though, since it is (what I think is) Humbrol 33 thinned down alot! It goes on well, but does need a few layers before it goes really black. Comes off like a charm, and best of it all is that Humbrol have put tutorial videoes on youtube on how to use them, which is good when you are a first timer with the stuff. I highly recommend it, and I think it is good, but since I haven't tried any other washes, that is what I can say about it!

A bit smelly, so remember to pop the window open for some fresh air!

Robin

Nice, yeh i had an e-mail from Airfix last week, a guy on there was using the washes on an F-86 Sabre and a Hornby engine shed, definitely looked very effective, seeing this has definitely spurred me on to get some, and i also have a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I in the stash, that may make an appearence on the work bench next week :) fantastic finish on the Spit, just the right amount for an aircraft that would have been sent up in the air numerous times each day, definitely want mine to look like yours.

• Like 1

Thankyou very much! Means alot to me that I can motivate other people into getting their kits started! And especially wanting theirs to look like mine! Can't wait to see the results mate! Won't be doing any modelling for som while now, as I have started school again, and also being busy in the weekends since I have started my training on our clubs SF-25C Rotax Falke registration OY-XYS. But as soon as the gliding season is over, I will sure do some kits! :) Keep me updated on the build, cant wait for it! :)

Robin

Very nice result! The weathering looks excellent – above all, not overdone.

Interesting piece of info on Humbrol Clear – exactly where did you pick up the allegation that it's basically the same as Johnson's Klear (which is now almost impossible to get)?

Really good work on that Spit!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thankyou very much Joachim!

I got hold of two bottles of Humbrol Clear from Alton Modelling centre, obviously in Alton. I think that the different modelshops are starting to stock up on it. I personally liked it but I cannot directly compare it to Johnsons since I have never tried it. I can just state that looking at the way it acts, it is very similar. You can for example also dip your canopies in it to clear them up.

I'm really happy with the result on this thing, and definately my best model to date!

Robin

Yeah no problem will do, yeh i havent done alot in the way of kit building at the moment, i work for Model Zone and being in administration i've been in work quite alot sorting things out etc, and now i've finished college also bit more spare time, were one of the stores that i think will go to the end, but once i get some free time, i'll start my spitfire

• Like 1

Sad with Modelzone. I'm from Denmark, but born in the UK. We went on holiday to the UK to visit family and friends three weeks ago. Went into the one at Guildford, where I got this kit for -30% off which was quite nice! Doing my second year at college now, and busy with the gliding, so not too much time for modelling. But I get some done occasionally!

Robin

yeh i used to sit for a fews hours each day kit building, cleared all the kits in my stash then went out and bought loads more, now with so many things taking up my time, i still get some kit building done but not as much as i would like unfortunately, takes me a while to complete a project.

What paint did you use for the camo old chap?

I used Humbrol enamels, HU86 for green, and HU118 for brown. The colours are not correct, but were the closest match in my little stash of paint :)

Robin

• 4 months later...