Hawker Typhoon FR Mk.1b 'photo M' EK196

Yesterday, after finishing the model at the last minute, I attended an event at RAF Museum Hendon.

It was organised by the Typhoon Entente Cordiale Trust, and was primarily for the visit of Peter Roper, a former Typhoon pilot who was visiting the last Typhoon with his family, before going to Normandy to dedicate a plaque to the French who aided pilots after they were, like him, shot down in the Normandy campaign.

I was invited by David Ince, the pilot of 'photo M' who also developed its forward facing camera installation. The model had been built by me as a gift to him.

fr-rfi-019.jpg

Peter Roper (left) and David Ince with the last Typhoon.

fr-rfi-020.jpg

fr-rfi-021.jpg

Members of TECT.

fr-rfi-022.jpg

Me presenting the model to David Ince outside the museum.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Wow, what a stunning model. It really is superb and to know it has gone to such a worthy recipient is great, I hope he appreciates the time and effort you've put in to this fantastic model.

Three words; W O W ... err

Outstanding job, and hats off to you for what you did!

Pete

Ben, she's a stunner. A lot of hard work has really paid off, and the result is fantastic. The fact the recipient is the pilot, just makes a superbly fitting ending for the entire project.

This is a Hats, Hussar and Top Banana moment!!!!

I think you make have set the benchmark for Tiffie builds with this model.

Many many thanks for sharing it with us

Jonners

What a wonderful build, beautiful beautiful finish and weathering, made all the better by the recipient. Fantastic stuff. :thumbsup:

Superb model, and a worthy presentation gift to the gentleman.

We often see 'old people' and forget the courageous things they may have done in their younger day's, hope it's put in a prominent place for visitors to ask about and he get's the admiration he deserves when he tells them.

• Like 1

Wow,.....the best Tiffy model that I`ve ever seen,.....I hope that Mr. Ince and co liked it, did he make any comments?

Cheers

Tony O

Thank you all for your kind comments. I have enjoyed sharing the build process online, so I am glad that it has been interesting to some of you.

Tony: Thank you for your very flattering comment! David was very appreciative of the model, and I was able to talk to him for a long while about his experiences. Such as the feelings of apprehension in everyone on the squadron and the ground crew before the first (and only) operational use of napalm bombs by the RAF (without any instructions on how they should be dropped). In an email of thanks he said of the model: "a demonstration of devoted research and painstaking workmanship."

I asked him if I had over-done the weathering, and after examining the model, he stated that he thought the original looked even more worn out. He did agree with the person who has commented in the build thread that he couldn't remember ever seeing the yellow wing leading edges being chipped so much; but I did the chipping as an artistic choice.

Spectacular work, and being able to give it to the guy who flew it is the icing on the cake.

Edited by TCinLA