Avro Lancaster B.II - 1:72 Airfix

woody37

I suspect Antoine is referring to the fins or gills that provide extra cooling area around each cylinder. Clearly they are far too fine for an accurate representation in 1/72, but most kits do attempt to show such by a series of raised rings rather than just a smooth surface.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review!

Does the kit come with both enginestyles and both exhaust styles?

2qc1l50.jpg

Just the "Standard" as shown in the lower diagram. Best to check as many photos as possible, so that you depict the correct intakes / exhaust for your aircraft. I believe some of the great options shown in the new Xtradecal sheet may use the "early" style. At least the 61 squadron one does. Ref. Lancaster Mk.II Profile Publications #235 - page 6.

Cheers... Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader

I suspect Antoine is referring to the fins or gills that provide extra cooling area around each cylinder. Clearly they are far too fine for an accurate representation in 1/72, but most kits do attempt to show such by a series of raised rings rather than just a smooth surface.

Exactly, Graham.

I'd just checked with the picture linked above, and indeed, those parts are way too thin to be represented.

There is another gripe with the bomb load being provided with the Bomber Support Set, great set up potential there except for a couple of missed chances. Firstly their are no Bomber Support Maintenance crew, MT drivers or even standing around bomber crew provided to pose with the kits, just a single pilot in the Lancaster (the soft plastic 40 yr old RAF personnel just doesnt cut it for this job) and on the Lancaster the access doors are closed. Would have been nice to see the crew doors open and the ladders provided !.

Still its a nice kit and a welcome edition, and it could be interesting to see what other versions get released next year

There is another gripe with the bomb load being provided with the Bomber Support Set, great set up potential there except for a couple of missed chances. Firstly their are no Bomber Support Maintenance crew, MT drivers or even standing around bomber crew provided to pose with the kits, just a single pilot in the Lancaster (the soft plastic 40 yr old RAF personnel just doesnt cut it for this job) and on the Lancaster the access doors are closed. Would have been nice to see the crew doors open and the ladders provided !.

Still its a nice kit and a welcome edition, and it could be interesting to see what other versions get released next year

You could always try these:

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/revell-1-72-raf-wwii-pilots-and-groundcrew.html

I've got that set and it's pretty good, many of the figures have separate arms, some have separate heads, but the plastic is very soft, almost rubbery which can sometimes be a pain removing flash from the mould seems. They'll certainly be getting used in the near future though :)

The cylinders are a little bland compared to others I've seen where the cooling fins have been attempted, though I do know from doing the CMR B.II conversion that with the hubs on, you don't see much inside the cowling.

Just the "Standard" as shown in the lower diagram. Best to check as many photos as possible, so that you depict the correct intakes / exhaust for your aircraft. I believe some of the great options shown in the new Xtradecal sheet may use the "early" style. At least the 61 squadron one does. Ref. Lancaster Mk.II Profile Publications #235 - page 6.

Cheers... Dave

Hopefully, the aftermarket will pick this opportunity up to provide the later intakes :)

I've got that set and it's pretty good, many of the figures have separate arms, some have separate heads, but the plastic is very soft, almost rubbery which can sometimes be a pain removing flash from the mould seems. They'll certainly be getting used in the near future though :)

The cylinders are a little bland compared to others I've seen where the cooling fins have been attempted, though I do know from doing the CMR B.II conversion that with the hubs on, you don't see much inside the cowling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember as a lad, Airfix produced a model of the Bloodhound missile that came complete with launcher, Land Rover, etc and (I'm sure) at least one styrene crew figure. So they have produced 1/72 figures in material other than that used their other figure sets.

Good review woody.

Though the Lanc II has never really lit my fire(I'm a Merlin man myself),it should produce a

very nice model.

Just a tip for builders of any Lanc,the F.E's "dicky seat" in this kit is depicted folded down

so that the F.E can sit on it.

There isn't a lot of room in a Lanc'pit at the best of times(who's been inside Just Jane?),

there's even less with the dicky seat folded down.

99.9% of the time the F.E was standing up either at his panel or looking out of the

cockpit,scanning the skies.

Take-off and landing meant helping the skipper with power settings,flaps,etc,

you all know the routine.

Modify the seat so that it's folded up against the side.

It's top edge(when folded up) should just be level with the cockpit sill.

Yeap got that set but its mostly Pilots with only 4 ground crew, but it does show what can be done and that airfix could tailor a set to go with the Bomber Support Set and act as crew for in a Lanc or stood outside. In fact it would be quite nice to have Aircrew in flight gear sat/stood in the crew transports such as the Tilly & Bedford or use the QLT (Airfix or the 72nd IBG Bedfords and CMPs)

That's right.

I've only asked because I was not familiar with the thinness of those specific cylinders.

Airfix's engineering choice is perfectly understandable.

So - I'm thinking about getting mine onto the bench later today - but I was wondering... Has anyone got any further information on the engine stays?

As Woody pointed out, I'd believe that there were 3 of them irregularly mounted in each engine, but the kit has them molded with 4? I'm wondering if this is an oversight or if someone has a piece of information that I haven't yet seen to suggest this is correct?

I've tried to find a photo but so far, I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for!

• 1 year later...