Luftwaffe RLM colours Idiot guide

chrisrope

This has probably been asked before, but is there a simple RLM conversion chart for us simple ones :dunce:

Preferably to Humbrol enamels as that's all I have.

Probably because I don't do a lot of Luftwaffe, I find the correct colours harder to fathom than Sabre wings and quantum mechanics.

Cheers

Chris

This has probably been asked before, but is there a simple RLM conversion chart for us simple ones :dunce:

Preferably to Humbrol enamels as that's all I have.

Probably because I don't do a lot of Luftwaffe, I find the correct colours harder to fathom than Sabre wings and quantum mechanics.

Cheers

Chris

HI Chris

Hmm, if you don't do a lot of Luftwaffe you might be better off asking on a case by case basis.

your basics are

bombers/early war black green 70-/dark green 71 over light blue 65. Fighters has the 70 replaced by grey 02 early on.

mid war fighters - grey scheme, 74 dark grey 75 mid grey and 76 light blue-grey [paler than 65]

late war - defensive 'greens' 81/82/83, usually over 76, often incombination with some of the greys.

if you don't want to buy a load of new paint, there are TLAR RAF and USAAF matches.... or, as you do Swedish, some of those can be used... how 'accurate' do you want to be?

but the new Humbrol paints look to be good.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943663-airfix-172-fw190a-8-a-look-in-the-box-and-a-build-with-new-humbrol-acrylics/page-2#entry1371323

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c202/falkirk1298/New%20FW190/NewRLMpaints_zps678cde25.jpg

cheers

Troy

• Like 1

Assuming you're asking about the current Humbrol range, rather than waiting for the new Luftwaffe enamels, this is a list I first drew up a few years ago. It's been tweeked a bit since :

RLM 02 - Humbrol 31, although 31 is a bit too light and could probably use a touch of yellow or maybe something like 94 Brown Yellow.
RLM 04 - Humbrol 154
RLM 63 - Humbrol 31, just about spot on but maybe a fraction light
RLM 65 - Humbrol 65, could perhaps use a touch of a darker blue
RLM 70 - Humbrol 91
RLM 71 - Humbrol 117
RLM 74 - Humbrol 32
RLM 75 - Humbrol 27
RLM 76 - 50% Humbrol 65 and 50% Humbrol 28, increase the proportion of 65 if you want a bluer version
RLM 78 - Humbrol 47
RLM 79 - Humbrol 118
RLM 80 - Humbrol 116
RLM 81 - Humbrol 155 based on XtraColor shade
RLM 82 - Humbrol 116 based on XtraColor shade

RLM 83 - Humbrol 86 based on XtraColor shade

If it isn't on this list, I haven't looked at it, except for the maritime shades 72 and 73 where nothing matches out of the tin.

John

Also I have painted an Academy 109G-6 cockpit in Humbrol 67. Is this anything like it should be

they are supposed to be RLM 66 Schwarz Grau [black grey] so this is a good pick ;)

Also the only main colour missed from the above list.

I did post some useful colour pics on this a while back, bit distracted at mo, will try to find post later.

they are supposed to be RLM 66 Schwarz Grau [black grey] so this is a good pick ;)

Also the only main colour missed from the above list.

I did post some useful colour pics on this a while back, bit distracted at mo, will try to find post later.

Actually I quite like H79 Blue Grey for RLM 66, it's a bit less stark than H67.

Only drama is Humbrol dont make 31 (02) and 91 (70) anymore. I use Xtracolour for these shades.

Not sure why you think that::

http://www.humbrol.com/shop/paints/enamel-paints/aa0343-31-slate-grey-matt-14ml-enamel-paint/

http://www.humbrol.com/shop/paints/enamel-paints/aa0343-31-slate-grey-matt-14ml-enamel-paint/

http://www.humbrol.com/shop/paints/acrylic-paints/ab0091-91-black-green-matt-12ml-acrylic-paint/

John

Ed, that's a great comparison chart. Is it just me or do the Testor Model Master series appear to be the best matches here?

This may be because they are closest to the actual samples - not sure. I'd be happy (and actually are happy) with the MM range. I did buy the "equivalent" Vallejo Modelair range, and boy was I bitterly disappointed with the results. Paint goes on very well and is easy to use, however are no match to any of the proper RLM shades whatsoever.

Looking forward to the new Humbrol range all the same.

Cheers.. Dave

Hi, Rabbit Leader,

No, Testors MM are not the best match nowadays. Try Xtracolor.

Fernando

Thanks Fernando, I'm not sure if the xtracolour range is available in Australia, however would be willing to order from overseas to get the best colours. Do they come as Matt paints? I have heard that they usually come in a satin, glossy shade.

Cheers Dave.

Not sure why you think that::

John

Ah, my mistake, I was thinking of Hu 141 for 02, it was an almost perfect match. I've not been able to get 91 from my LMS for a while and so made the wrong assumption it was no longer made.

Anyway, all rendered moot by Humbrol's new RLM range!