IJN destroyer Akizuki. Super Drawings in 3D from Kagero

Shar2

IJN Destroyer Akizuki

Kagero Super Drawings in 3D

cover.jpg

The Akizuki-class destroyers were one of the primary classes of new destroyers of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) after 1942. The IJN called them Type-B Destroyer from their plan name. They were designed to fight larger ships, aircraft and submarines. Akizuki was the lead ship of her class of destroyers in the Imperial Japanese Navy and considered by many to be among the best Japanese warships of that type in service during World War II. These long range vessels were fast, heavily armed and featured surprisingly good electronics, (at least for the Japanese standards of the time). Add to that the graceful lines and the result is one of the most capable heavy destroyers in service with the IJN.

Through experience in the design and construction of destroyers over the years, a huge amount of time and effort, not to mention money were invested in this class of warship to offset the US Navy’s advantage in that field. The initial plans called for the construction of a large number of light anti-aircraft cruisers and destroyers, but this proved too ambitious and prohibitively expensive. Instead the Japanese decided to concentrate on the design of a large destroyer carrying the newest 100mm guns, but no torpedo launchers. This was a new trend in Japanese design philosophy, which until then had favoured destroyers with a heavy offensive armament. The new design was altered to include one quadruple torpedo launcher and became known as the type B destroyer.

inside.jpg

These series of books from Kagero continue to impress, not only with their superb 3D drawings, but also the well researched history of the ships in question. This title is no different with a comprehensive history of the philosophy behind the design, along with the design itself and the ships operation history making very interesting reading. The Akizuki was an unknown quantity to this reviewer so the six pages covering this have proved very enlightening. The rest of the book is superbly laid out with every part of ship shown in amazing detail with only one or two drawings per page. In addition there are close ups of items such the main turrets, light AA weapons, some beautifully detail drawings of the ships boats, torpedo launcher and the operation of the reload system, and most importantly for a ship modeller the rigging. On the centre pages there is a three view picture of the ship overall so that the reader can see where the other drawings fit in relation to the ship. The diagrams showing the railings and the awning stantions are also very useful too. Each individual drawing is annotated so that the reader knows what they are looking at. Mariusz Motyka, who does all the 3D visualisations and illustrations, really should be commended for his amazing work. In addition to the 3D drawings, Kagero have also included to sheets of double sided A2 plans. One sheet has a three view of the ship overall whilst on the other side the various parts of the ship have been drawn, all in 1:200 scale. The other sheet also has parts such as the superstructure drawing in 1:200 along with 1:50 scale views of the turrets, torpedo launcher and the 25mm AA guns.

Conclusion

It is getting increasingly difficult to extol the virtues of these books in mere words, you really have see them to believe the amount of detail that is contained on the pages and the very useful separate plans. I believe there is only one model of the Akizuki available and that is the Nichimo 1:200 scale kit. So if you’re lucky enough to have one or are able to get hold of one, then this book will be invaluable.

logo.gif

Fujimi and Skywave do Akizuki class destroyers in 1/700 but they're a wee bit hard to get hold of from UK stockists. I have a pair of Akizuki's in my stash by Fujimi and 1 from Skywave. I think there is an Akizuki (or at least an Akizuki class) available in 1/350, possibly from Fujimi. The 1/700 kits I have are very nice, way better than the previous versions from Aoshima and the ancient Fujimi ones.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. Trumpeter did one in 1:350 but it's OOP as are most of the ones you mentioned. Shame really as they really are good looking ships.

The Trumpeter one is also (originally?) made by a company called Monochrome, and they also have the ship in their own boxing as both 1942 and 1944 versions. They also make the Suzutsuki in her 1945 Operation Ten-Go version. A friend here has this kit and is it superb, much better than Trumpeter's other ship kits. Kit is hard to get but is sold in Japan at a high price. He has bought this book to help finish the kit.

Akikuzi or Akizuki seen it spelt both ways. It depends on the script i beleive but i seen japanese ship names spelt various ways The 1914 book Janes had a section devoted to this subject .

Whatever the transcription system you use, the syllabe place is the same, or this is a different word.

And in this case kagero's right.

Monochrome (Trumpeter in disguise) did it in 1/350. Two versions, one 1942 version and one 1944 version.

I believe there's one up for trade somewhere in the Trade-forum..... :whistle:

Edited by denstore