1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

I think you will be able to manufacture the MDC alright but I worry about how you will attach it to the canopy without it looking like it has been glued on.

Martin

That's a good point Martin. I hope I can get it to conform to the shape of the canopy and if so I may be able to just glue it at the front framing. Otherwise I'll have to try some Klear.

But it may be the Achilles heel in the plan. It's very much an experiment at the moment.

I think you will be able to manufacture the MDC alright but I worry about how you will attach it to the canopy without it looking like it has been glued on.

Martin

Don't you think PVA would be strong enough Martin? Should dry clear enough I'd have thought? Or are you thinking it may leave ridges between the wire & canopy? Interesting...

Keith

Hi Steve, where did you get that enormous pin?

Seriously though, that wire looks uber fine and should look just the job in-situ.

FWIW, I used Klear/Future/acrylic floor polish when I glued the one inside my Hawk.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65566-revell-bae-hawk-t1-red-arrows/page-6

It's still where it should be nearly two years on.

HTH

Cheers.

• Like 1

Gent's,

please remember that at 1:1 scale the mdc IS glued onto the canopy, and it is always grey in colour. The grey does vary from a/c to a/c, but it is always grey.

Happy days

Scoots.

• Like 2

Hello Steve, Amazing paint jobs and build. The JP T.5A had a roughened outer wing leading edge like rough concrete feel to increase the pre-stall buffet warning and providing a better stall entry,was this standard on all the RAF JP T.5's. This was introduced in 1973 when spin strakes were also fitted.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 3

G'Day,

The superlatives go without question .....

MDC work looks fantastic - On any model the problems are scale, symmetry and adhesion and on the JP, although so small it is so obvious. Any method will be a "challenge" (!), but how about drawing and printing onto the thinnest available clear decal sheet? Just a though.

Splendid thread and contributions as always!

• Like 1

One day I'll try making a home brew photo etch MDC but I don't think I'll be able to get it as fine a 0.1mm though. Plan with the pins n wire sounds good.

Maybe not - but I would have thought you could make a really good template in PE to use to form some wire into an almost perfect shape. you could probably make a male and female pattern to use to press the shape into the wire?

FWIW, I used Klear/Future/acrylic floor polish when I glued the one inside my Hawk.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65566-revell-bae-hawk-t1-red-arrows/page-6

It's still where it should be nearly two years on.

Great build Guy - now that's going to be one of my references (Andy Wood's current build will be another) for when I build my 1/72 Hawks :)

And in other news:

I've put the MDC to one side for a few days as I've got some 0.1mm copper wire on order so I can try that alongside the Nickel wire and so I can progress the JPs.

The JP3 has nose lights as well - but MDC just mould in a couple of depressions in the nose and don't provide any glazing etc.

So a splash of black as a backing to the lights:

IMG_2903_zps975de0a2.jpg

And a couple of 1mm little lenses:

IMG_2904_zpsf92c0d28.jpg

Where would we be without little lenses?

The nose lights are glazed for real. I thought I might try filling the depressions with micro scale krystal clear.

I've started to test fit the U/C to the JP5 but it looks a little 'tall' on the legs at the mo. The JP looks like to sits low to the ground with characteristic 'squat' look and I haven't quite caught it as yet. I copied the leg length of the CMR main U/C legs - and I think they've got them too long.

I'll have to shorten the main U/C legs by a couple of mm I think.

Oh BTW. Tim's reminder above about the unofficial Church Fenton website took me back there and reminded me there are some cracking contemporaneous photo's (including Tim formatting a JP5) - and this one of a JP3 banking away from the camera ship:

http://www.rafchurchfenton.org.uk/Photo%20Gallery%20Pages/7FTS_gallery_4.htm

Follow the link and enlarge the thumb nail entitled "Great shot of a JP3 banking away from the camera ship"

Now if I weathered the belly of the JP3 to that extent no-one would believe it was an accurate scale effect would they!!!

Steve

• Like 6

Now if I weathered the belly of the JP3 to that extent no-one would believe it was an accurate scale effect would they!!!

Steve

At least one of us would...! I mean, not the easiest place to keep clean under there is it - especially with all the leaky stuff in the u/c bays!

On the subject of wire for the MDC, I mentioned before that I have 0.2 mm (I think, it's very fine!) lead wire, but that I couldn't get it to sit tidy in the canopy. Then I thought "but Steve has rather more finesse with making these things, than you do, fumble thumbs!" - so if you'd like some to try drop me a PM & I'll get some sent up. And as was mentioned earlier, the real things are grey - as is lead wire....

Keith

http://www.rafchurchfenton.org.uk/Photo%20Gallery%20Pages/7FTS_gallery_4.htm

Follow the link and enlarge the thumb nail entitled "Great shot of a JP3 banking away from the camera ship"

Steve

Good photos; I particularly liked the B&W one of "the results of an unfortunate collision between two JPs of No 7 FTS". Cracking diorama opportunity!

I never had the joy of visiting Church Fenton; always Linton for us Matelot types. My course (like several before and no doubt a few after) make ourselves particularly popular by "converting" the Spitfire gate guardian into a pseudo-Seafire with a home-made tailhook and a spot of amateur "Royal Navy" stencilling. Oh, how the Station Commander laughed. Mind you, we had a joint RN/RAF course (10 RN, 6 RAF), and I seem to recall the baby Crabs being just as enthusiastic about vandalising the Spit as we were!

I have very few photos of my early flying, more's the pity. I do have one of the flight line of RNEFTS Bulldogs, taken at Topcliffe on a horrible day early in the course; chucking it down, so no danger of anyone committing aviation. We were barely safe to start the things up at that point, let alone go flying in anything worse than Blue forecasting Blue. I love the pic, because the rain bouncing off the wings of the aircraft makes it look almost impressionistic - a painting. I'll see if I can get a scan of it.

It's all coming back to me now. What was all that "Phase 5" malarkey about? I never heard the phrase outside Linton / Topcliffe (but then those are the only RAF fields from which I ever flew regularly). Certainly not a Navy thing; what did it mean? Something to do with the weather, I think, but it's 30-odd years ago!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

the last few days modelling time (that sounds good but it adds up to about an hour and a half :)) have been spent trying trying to marry up the undercarriages and the airframes. It's been a blast.......

I scratched the undercarriage legs using the CMR parts as dimensional guides (cos the CMR kit is great quality) - but they seem to be a bit long....

The JP has a characteristic 'squat' look on its undercarriage - and it definitely don't have its ar*e in the air like this (main legs blue tacked in place):

C6383DA0-DB55-47C3-99C3-F33B683D3CFA_zps

Out with the razor saw and an bit of judicious shortening of the main legs gives this for the JP5 - which is rather more like the real thing:

D00B0891-F52D-40C8-BB35-7C3C6811B3AA_zps

And a piccie of the legs in place with the bracing shackle in situ.

The JP was steered on the ground using differential braking and the nose wheel castored rather than being steered. It made for entertainment for all apart from the poor stude - until said stude had learned the knack.

Anyways I've offset the nose leg slightly - which is a tad of artistic licence as mostly (but not invariably) the nose wheel is seen straight for and aft on a JP that's parked.

Mine will be parked with the nose wheels slightly angled - on the basis that the last stude that flew em wobbled his way towards the parking slot and didn't quite get em straightened up in time :) Not me governor......

F6C73A90-8B34-403D-BCD7-D190F2844083_zps

JP3 main legs have bene trimmed and the next job is to stick them on....

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10

Both looking brilliant Steve; unbelievable what you've done with the airfix kit, well both to be honest :worthy:

Surely not far from the home straight? Any thoughts on your next kit, will it be the Jag? :D

Broody Brirriant!!!!!!

the JP5 looks absolutely awesome and the 3 has obviously had a student stamp on the brakes to cause forward weight transfer and lifting the tail

No doubt that was when he canopy leapt off too ;)

Seriously though (even at the risk of spoiling the hobbits of a lifftime) the five really does look perfect, photographically it would be fairly easy to pass of a well posed picture of this as XW360 parked at Church Fenton on the flightline in September October or... other months and years are available

The three will soon be as exactly right I'm certain

(oh yes Steve, no blooming Jags yet please I want to finish a pair of early&late first. Before the competition begins OK)

;)

(I'd best amend that above remark, just bid on a two seater Jag too :(I must be getting addictivated)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Mine will be parked with the nose wheels slightly angled - on the basis that the last stude that flew em wobbled his way towards the parking slot and didn't quite get em straightened up in time :) Not me governor......

Steve

Beer fund beckons....!!

Looking brilliant Steve!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Well Steve,

All I can say is:

smiley_zps6f631089.jpg

Nice one,

Dean

Oh yes. I do like that:

I think I'll call her Jaypee. She's happy to be nearly finished........:)

36ab2f9b-4b9a-4859-9efe-bb5800d315b1_zps

Think it's all getting to me a bit.....

Note to self - don't enlarge photos of 1/72 scale aircraft by that much....

Surely not far from the home straight? Any thoughts on your next kit, will it be the Jag? :D

Nope :) Couple of 1/72 Hawks first then a jag or two. Gonna let Bill take the lead on his jag - and I'll make copious notes :)

I now have both the Airfix and the Italeri/Revell Hawks so's I can compare. Hopefully there won't be so much to do as on the old Airfix JP5......

Just going back a page Fritag, you can find very thin copper wire in electrical chord off various appliances like chargers etc. Just a thought for the MDC.

Gary.

Thanks for the thought Gary. As it happens some 0.1mm copper wire arrived in the post today. It took me one go and about 1 minute to get an acceptable test piece if MDC from it - compared with lots of minutes and much swearing with the Nickel.

Top one = 0.16mm copper; middle = 0.1mm nickel and bottom one 0.1mm copper:

8D715C05-6E24-4CF9-BE04-FD189491CE2A_zps

Jaypee's legs got trimmed and fitted:

800DEB00-4355-44EB-BE47-C4A294E964C0_zps

And her ar*e no longer sticks up in the air:

590FB8C0-3938-4C4C-98F1-62A361F57FA3_zps

Very nearly there. Canopies are the biggest job left (hopefully).

40498BB7-2F6E-4BC5-8616-AEBDE75CC0A3_zps

Steve

• Like 21

they look absolutely bril...

ah beggar that, you know just how good they are we all do :)

I'm kinda glad, kinda scared that you will be leaving the treatment of your erstwhile chariots to me

A lot to live up to and a lot to do

Hasegawa GR1/A arrived today and I won a T-bird for eight quid this afternoon ;)

Suddenly I'm about to have to get intensive, have I seen any scale drawings of the ACT bird anywhere or am I about to haunt Cosford for a while

I know you fancy an ETPS T2 after all but Ripple looks so good on a Jag

Anyway, by way of a diversion I hadnt noticed smileyface :(

I suppose that is about four demerits...