1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

I'm sorry, but your standards are clearly slipping; the deviation card is missing from that E2B, and it isn't lurching about in that drunken manner like as you recovered from some UPs.

Strake, schmake; that compass & meter is scarily good. I'd be chuffed to bits with that in The Gentleman's Scale in which I model aeroplanes, but at 1/72 it is exquisite.

Great to see you back.

[barbados? I'm in the wrong job...]

• Like 1

I've been watching it off and on since about 2011 when Wiggo broke his collar bone - but only got addicted this year.

As the missus and I get older - and going running to keep fit is getting harder on the joints - we're thinking of switching to doing more cycling instead. Off to Specialized this weekend to look at fancy (well fancy for us) road bikes.....

Them nose strakes is my pride and joy! - How sad is that!!!!

I wish I could cycle again, unfortunately the health problem precludes it. My son's got a rather nice Specialized road bike, I rode it for a hundred yards or so when he first got it, & even in that distance couldn't believe the difference from the clunkers I had in my yoof...!! Those pukka race bikes must be amazing!

And I don't think pride in those nose strakes is sad at all - one of those things that you think is going to be a really simple job - until you try & get them as neat as that...!!

• Like 1

with my rebuilt knees I can't bend the knee up as far as pedal top without excruciation

Boy I wish I could I'd be biking again like a shot

Simply sublime model working sah!

The screen fitting using stuporglue still has me shuddering, that stuff scares me

I expected fogging even though you have Klear coated it all, scaredycat me :(

love the meters

b

• Like 1

The screen fitting using stuporglue still has me shuddering, that stuff scares me

I expected fogging even though you have Klear coated it all,

Whereas I'm terrified that if I don't use at least a drop or two of cyano it'll come off in my hand after it's all been blended in and painted etc etc....

• Like 2

Whereas I'm terrified that if I don't use at least a drop or two of cyano it'll come off in my hand after it's all been blended in and painted etc etc....

Ditto! Touch wood, but I find just small drops on a Kleered canopy don't have any adverse effects. So far, & famous last words...!!

Trying to keep a little forward momentum now that work/life permits.

Now I'm not the most analy retentive of modellers ( :whistle: ) but I do think that the canopy/fuselage joint is an eye magnet - so I spent a good while last night slowly building up the join with several layers of Mr Surfacer 1000. I thinned with Mr Color levelling thinner and applied with a fine brush. I have to say that thinning the stuff makes it a lot easier to handle and a lot less prone to drying too quickly, getting lumpy and dragging. Of course the price is that it has to be built up more slowly in several layers - but it's only time after all.....

3ECB8E2A-454B-40AB-8C3B-FCB8E904BB63_zps

5c1b248b102f0a8664765d31723a5583_zps3d0b

It should have dried properly by now and so later on I'll try rubbing it down and see how it looks. I expect it'll need at least one more application.

Save for the canopy there are only a couple of little jobs to do before priming. I will have to decide which ariels to put on/leave off - but firstly there are the wing tip nav lights.

I'm going to use the same method a Cheshiretaurus and his vampire - a square of clear sprue with a hole drilled in the back for the bulb and a blob of red or green paint.

On the real JP5a the area under the nav light covers is painted white (or near white) and rather than try and paint the back of the clear sprue white - which would make it difficult to glue in place - I thought the easiest way of replicating it would be to make the cut out in the wing tip oversize - and then line it with a bit of white plastic right angle cross section:

5847b64fd38e1ffeb5a727472cc6950a_zpsb433

Which I cut using my recently acquired mini mitre block (which is fabulously useful):

24EA6E5A-4606-462E-99DB-C7E51C1188C9_zps

And I've left that to harden overnight as well.

See I've been away for a months and now I'm overdosing on insignificant little updates..........oh well....

Steve

• Like 3

Those mitre boxes are the dogs' doo-dahs, especially when it comes to any sort of scratch building.

Ditto the Levelling Thinners, though I hadn't thought of using it to slow down Mr Surfacer; top tip!

• Like 1

May I ask where you get those mitre boxes from, they look very good!

And apologies if this is teaching granny to su...etc, but do you know that you can wipe off Mr Surfacer with a cotton bud dipped in IPA (& no, not the ale!) - I find the Tamiya small pointed 'swabs' - as they call them - excellent for this. Paint on a layer of Mr.S with a small pointed brush, moisten a swab with IPA, wipe it off. the Mr S is dry almost immediately - repeat until your happy with the join. I find that usually you can then get a perfect finish in areas like the canopy/fuselage join with no sanding needed. (those thinners may also work instead of IPA)

• Like 2

Great stuff that Mr surfacer used 500 & 1000 on the T11 windscreen join, but didnt thin it, only because I didnt think of it.

May I ask where you get those mitre boxes from, they look very good!

And apologies if this is teaching granny to su...etc, but do you know that you can wipe off Mr Surfacer with a cotton bud dipped in IPA (& no, not the ale!) - I find the Tamiya small pointed 'swabs' - as they call them - excellent for this. Paint on a layer of Mr.S with a small pointed brush, moisten a swab with IPA, wipe it off. the Mr S is dry almost immediately - repeat until your happy with the join. I find that usually you can then get a perfect finish in areas like the canopy/fuselage join with no sanding needed. (those thinners may also work instead of IPA)

Little cars do the JLC mitres, dont have one myself yet but its been on the wish list for a while. Not sure if the price is up to date but the P005 that Fritag used is £20.00 but it says it can only use the JLC saw, £12.50. thay also now have another one for round stock the P006 at £11.00 but I cant find it on the Little cars website. So £11 & £20 for very similar item makes me wonder if one of the prices is maybe wrong.

Now I wonder, has anyone used IPA to thin Mr Surfacer?

Edited by Cheshiretaurus
  • Like 2

Yep its the JLC P005 - I got it off evil bay but it was basically the same price as Little Cars (£19.90). I already had the JLC razor saw and It's proved really useful. The JLC razor saw has very thin blades and the mitre box has commendably thin guide cut outs and won't work with any of my other razor saws - which have thicker blades.

I'll have to try wiping-off the Mr Surfacer rather than sanding it.

The right angle profile white strip idea is working so far:

f6a6332bd46b4cf357b79b2e6872f75e_zps795d

And I think one more application of Mr S should do it:

3a72b42325952152334b0c50034d4efd_zps4c7f

But why did I bother dipping the screen in Klear when I was only going to have to micromesh it off again whilst smoothing down the Mr S?

• Like 5

That nag light is excellent. [Reminder to self: 1/72, 1/72, 1/72...]

For "nag" read "nav" - an auto-correct of Freudian interest!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Ditto the Levelling Thinners, though I hadn't thought of using it to slow down Mr Surfacer; top tip!

Yes, I found that one pretty choice too.

One more application of Mr S and a bit of time with the micromesh cracked it:

6B372EF7-85F1-48D8-8886-CB6C34DF7929_zps

Nicely blended in.

Nav (Nag?) lights finished as well. Clear sprue squared off, drilled and painted.

69d361488dda1017acf91d411cbc9871_zpsd90c

Cut and glued:

ca527c9f93b87ad6854d2862ab315859_zpsf9ae

Trimed, filed and micromeshed. Not bad:

6CCACB2C-BD0C-461B-98DE-B08D037E8F94_zps

4E036F3A-2FE6-4B5D-B77B-5F117D03E6BF_zps

Another couple of little jobs checked off the list......

Now - back to Mark's Vampire thread to see how he masked off his nav lights...... :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 7

I'm, never going to be able to keep up with you pair

Esoteroric masking skins wasnt it?

The nag lights look ace, Ace

and the faired in screen is fair as can be

Looking good dude

I really look forward to reading this thread, not only extremely good modelling but lots of great tips and story's as well

Looking forward to seeing these in war paint(how is the JP3)

Roger

Now - back to Mark's Vampire thread to see how he masked off his nav lights...... :)

Maskol is the best way I've found to keep the little blighters covered up - masking tape always seems to peel off at the most inopportune time - such as just when I've pointed the airbrush at them & pressed the trigger...!! :D

• Like 5

Nag lights (sorry Ex-FAAWAFU its stuck now) look fantastic nice job!

I tried tamiya tape - too small too fiddly wouldn't conform to such a tight compound curve couldnt get it to stay in place.

Maskol couldn't get a sharp edge.

Maskol then cut the edge with a scalpel - wouldnt cut without too much effort and the maskol was just falling off anyway due to not enough surface area.

Then the 'Parafilm M' idea came along. (dont know what the M means)

Parafilm-M-01.jpg

Bit of video here to give an idea of what this stuff is

Although he says $25 or so at the end thats for 250ft, you can get short lengths 1 or 2 meters from ebay for less than £3

Mark

Edited by Cheshiretaurus
  • Like 3