1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Still loving the Build Steve, so many hints and tips...I did a spray job yesterday on a JP5

0F376B84-3A31-4FAF-9C49-CB6DA69C93AD_zps

1F6F3BF5-D4CD-45A6-A483-EBBA1508D306_zps

I know, a little bigger than yours Steve, but a nice finish on the anti-glare!!! She'll be running up and down the runway next weekend at the Bruntingthopre Open day it's on Sunday 25th May, so if anyone is at a loose end, then pop over, it'll be a very noisey day!!! Oh and the VC-10 has her first run down the runway :) (Cheap plug)

• Like 6

Stunning. Find and solve as many problems as you see fit. As noted above this attention to detail and fiddly bit fiddlesomeness really do turn the model into a scale replica. Also like your inventiveness, and am shamelessly plagiarising your tips and techniques - please don't copyright them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get the JP5 windscreen in place and the decking behind the seats finished before I can prime it. I've doing the odd half an hot here and there over the last week to try and achieve this - but with mixed results.

Decking area started well; added the avionics support structure - fiddly but no real issues:

01bb1a2e122a0671e720aea12d711078_zpscb58

Looked ok under paint - and I ask painted and slightly weathered the coaming.

02c42f4c1ac2e9935840debde89749a6_zps14ae

Avionics boxes were small but manageable:

0def23e93039788341b60e9bc4fd19db_zps6fb4

98da8f6c67e5704aa26090461e5c021e_zpsaf20

8d983de074402ece35d56df837b12c5b_zps4ed7

And the whole thing looks ok with a bit of oil wash/filter - it gets a bit dirty at the back there where the canopy slides foreward and back.

4c16a25def12cc2be13c6b1b70ec84e8_zps7388

ee98ecfedcec4ee0bd0831c7f2ac43c6_zpse5b9

Actually - now I look at it the little black box on the rear decking behind the stud seat (fatigue meter I think) looks a bit on the weedy side. Might replace it......

The windscreen has proved itself to be a pain. The problem is the internal vertical bar in the middle.

I think that the kit part is better than the Pavla vac form version - not least because (and I think dr_gn said this some time ago) the JP5 canopy is actually pretty thick for real. So I had to file of the vertical bar - which is incorrectly moulded on the outside and polish up the canopy - no big deal:

d0a27f7d20f1c82fed429e2f318354a5_zps54db

But then I had to mark and paint on the bar on the inside. And that has proved tricky. I found the centre top and bottom and temporarily marked the outside of the canopy before putting a thin strip of masking tape on the outside as a guide for masking the inside:

29407e339c85303a3e5b53024b52e023_zpsd119

Then masked and sprayed the cream colour seen from the outside and then the internal grey:

9F70A402-1ABD-4CF6-9EF9-E0C050F62479_zps

I'm on about my third go now. And I still can't get it truly vertical!

feafb3282bfe6183d2a3628e430a783b_zps699e

I swear it all lines up nicely vertical when I mask it......and then when I unmask - it's gone skew whiff. I'll beat the sucker yet........ :)

Steve

• Like 5

Steve, if I may...

Put the vertical strip of masking tape on the INSIDE of the windscreen, and fiddle about with it offering the windscreen up to the cockpit until it looks right. Then just lay masking tape very accurately either side of the strip all the way along it, remove the centre strip and the gap that's left will be exactly where you want it.

See if it helps,

Dean

• Like 2

I might make a few enemies here Steve but that looks far too thick to be the centre strip

I think you need to do what Chesh says, mark the outside first and thinner than you think too. The paint IS going to look wider inside that thick screen moulding.

The picture you show with the screen on the graph paper shows the offset that happened, curving aross to the top right.

But it's not easy to get right at the best of times, canopy framing

And then

I do like the internal structure you put in back there, it looks 'scale' right to me.

I reckon it is the bizz

;)

• Like 1

Steve I agree with Perdu that centre strip looks a bit too wide, could you not make yourself up a jig to align the centre at the top of the frame. Anyway that aside great work.

why not cut a strip of painted decal strip and then apply it on the inside? You can then adjust it until it is straight

Bill - I think you and Neil are right; the centre strip is too wide. I used 0.75mm masking tape and laid masking tape either side rather as as Dean described. I guess 0.75mm was too wide.

So - off with the old strip using a cocktail stick as a scraper and then some 12000 micromesh - and on with the next attempt. Turning into a bit of a saga.........

Trying 0.5mm masking tape this time - on the outside to start with as per Cheshiretaurus. The tape is so thin it's hard to stop it from curving however.....

1c0860a70da34a467632e2eeb93ec2be_zps39ce

Used as a guide to put tape on the inside - and offered up to the cockpit as per Dean.

09d16f09cf938e0d34867f17529cfcde_zps161d

Definitely a better thickness Bill?

Decided to leave it until tomorrow and see if it still looks straight before masking either side etc. I would like to avoid yet another failed attempt if possible :)

• Like 8

why not cut a strip of painted decal strip and then apply it on the inside? You can then adjust it until it is straight

Didn't think of that Andy :)

Got some clear decal paper I could spray and have a play with if I don't get the next painted version to work.

Small observation, but the windscreen doesn't look true, it leans slightly to the left when viewed from the front which is why when you framed it with reference to the centre top/bottom it was technically correct, but when placed on the model it sits at an angle. You seem to have the best solution by masking it in situ.

Peter

Peter I thought that but put it down to camera angle and not quite in situ correctly but last photo Steve has provided suggests not. It looks pretty much bob on to me. Cracked it Steve.

Loving the work on these JP's.

Fascinating stuff. They are really starting to look the business. I saw an old Airfix Strikemaster on the shelf of my local hobby shop today, but thought of this build and left it there!

Seriously though, great work.

Feel a bit like Bill Murray in the film Groundhog day at the mo'; doomed to endelessly repeat the same modeling tasks. Haven't got Andie Macdowell to looke forward to at the end of it either :(

I think Peter is somewhat right in that I think the windscreen is not 100% true - but I also think that the 'lean' is exaggerated by certain camera angles and it looks good enough to the naked eye.

Anyways. I followed thro' on a final attempt to paint the central internal framing and I'm inlcined to think I've cracked it this time:

055d02317671d39f644b13c143f99e58_zpsc1e5

In parallel I had a go at Dean's suggestion of decal film. I found that laying down the external colour, followed by the internal colour (remember the decal had to be applied to the inside) and then a coat of varnish and then cutting a thin strip - was really easy. I applied a strip to the back-up vac formed windscreen and found it pretty tricky to get it to lay truely straight and also to adhere well (both because of the thinness of the strip - but manageable and on balance probably a better solution than painting. Next time...

In keeping with the ground hog theme. I was unhappy with the work I'd done on the decking behind the seats. In particular the prominent avionics boxes. I think I tried to include too much detail and in the process they ended up rather messy. I decided that in this scale I was better off trying for an 'impression' and making them neat.

So second time around I concentrated on just getting the boxes true and square with a simple and smooth black finish with just a little dry brushing to emphsises the edges/wires. I'm happier with the result (the earlier version is just a few posts back):

8b40d0484321ee20496560a61473b38b_zps0f4e

504c92b1436d3c552205f8bb76a25c03_zps588e

f4fa7ce75f58fdcba780d1b3807ca5b4_zps09ea

Wouldn't it be nice for us all if I actually moved these builds forward.....:)

Steve

• Like 6

No I didn't.......in parallel I had a go at Andy's suggestion of decal film.

:blush:

He he he... nearly got credit for something I didn't do.

Looking good, Steve.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 2

Feel a bit like Bill Murray in the film Groundhog day at the mo'; doomed to endelessly repeat the same modeling tasks. Haven't got Andie Macdowell to looke forward to at the end of it either :(

You had better hope Mrs. Fritag doesn't read that, or I think she'll find some even more boring repetitive tasks for you to carry out in your 'modelling time'....!! :P:D

These bits you're doing may not actually move the build forward Steve, but they certainly help move the finished models into the 'superlative' class. I admire your patience in re-doing stuff like this, it all really helps lift them above models like mine with my 'that will do' attitude....!!

Keith

• Like 2

Right matey

have you finished bugge*ing about with the thin grey line now then?

Good

because

I'm just a tad worrited by the thin black lines ahead and astern of the 'ole where the peoples sit

will they vanish under a coat of primer or not?

As builder of a certain 'Murrican cargo beastie that gave me (little mentioned) nightmares over its canopy covering joints (remember that one?) I worry that lines I think have vanished become bloody massive with a dollop of paintstuffs on them

If I can see the inner black outside it gives me pause for thought ;) Cut back and refiller it maybe if there's any doubt

Oh yes

Thin grey line?

Cracked it my esteemed friend, the job's a good 'un.

I hesitate to over egg the 'detail pudding' and rarely think more is better.

A sketchy outline lets the mind take over so the new avionics box's treatment is more to my taste even though the detail work wot you dun is pretty damned good

So I be still enjoying this work of art in progress

b

Honestly, I felt like she was the real life sentence in that movie.

• Like 1

I'm just a tad worrited by the thin black lines ahead and astern of the 'ole where the peoples sit

will they vanish under a coat of primer or not?

As builder of a certain 'Murrican cargo beastie that gave me (little mentioned) nightmares over its canopy covering joints (remember that one?) I worry that lines I think have vanished become bloody massive with a dollop of paintstuffs on them

If I can see the inner black outside it gives me pause for thought ;) Cut back and refiller it maybe if there's any doubt

I think what your seeing is a line of cyano wot I used as a filler. I used some 5 minute epoxy on the inside to hold the resin in place and the fuselage halves together and there was a slight residual gap that I filled with cyano.

Trouble is........that wos so long ago that I might be misremembering (boom boom :winkgrin:)

Honestly, I felt like she was the real life sentence in that movie.

Which apropos of nothing brings me to Four Weddings and a Funeral.....where Kristin Scott Thomas gets my vote.....