1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

:)

Fritag's next trick will be to try and do the MDC. It remains to be seen which of Kipling's two impostors will be applicable at the end of that effort.....

Oh yeah and I need to try and follow Bill's (Navy Bird) example and stick some PE on the things. Awfully glad the JP didn't have anything like those Beaufort aerials......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5

So- followed the Mrs Fritag inspired new tradition of no modelling on christmas/boxing day but back at it today :)

Have addressed the matter of the textured outboard leading edges of the wings.

Using thinned Mr Surfacer 500:

1F2DD003-7EE5-4F17-B73C-0C912ECD0566_zps

Stippled on between and around masking tape:

2F556D90-CE9D-41DA-9418-674796BA14C5_zps

Turned out that it was also just about the perfect colour and so needed no painting:

84C63F5F-F29A-496B-9447-F9282CA51650_zps

Another job ticked orf.....

• Like 11

Indeed. If you thought being a lawyer wasn't terribly fun, you should try working customer service for them.

Working in a paintshop has it's moments too.

At least,if someone gives me grief(very,very rarely),I can soon "change" the colour of their shoes/trouser leg

with a quick squeeze of the old Devilbiss's trigger :wicked: if they pee me off enough.

As to this elves razzing about in that JP on Christmas Eve malarky,I reckon the niff of Esso Blue all through

the house would cause difficult questions,bizarre answers and some Mrs Fritag driven pointy footware to

Fritag shaped posterior contact for Stevey-Boy.

As ever sunshine,those JayPeez are looking better and better.

• Like 3

Oh I dunno Miggers old chap, Mrs F should be well innured to the taste and unique flavours of avtur after her own upbringing the proper way

And If the Peter Pan movie is to be believed (WHAT YOU DON'T BELIEVE????) all the faerie folk induced flights just leave a twinkly sparkie trail, She probably didn't scent a thing

Steve, this is another fine present you've given us as a late Chrimbo prezzie

Those drag inducing rubber LEs look perfect

O u t s t a n d i n g

• Like 1

Oh I dunno Miggers old chap, Mrs F should be well innured to the taste and unique flavours of avtur after her own upbringing the proper way

Aye Bill, tis true as I believe I let slip before; Mrs F bagged many a trip in a JP as a young hofficer - the early morning weather ship being her speciality (helped having a father who ran the line at Linton). She turned down a trip in an F4 once on the grounds that she couldnt see much out of the back! No one ever offered me a trip in an F4 :(.

Mrs F and a couple of WRAF chums got helicoptered onto one of HM ships once - in the pre girls on boats days - for a fighter controller liaison visit and IIRC a signal had to be sent from said boat informing all and sundry that they'd been counted on - and more importantly counted off again!

• Like 5

Looking really great, Fritag. ( I have given up on superlatives ).

I have just had to re-do the underside of a Vampire I am working on. I rubbed the paint off by resting the wings across the upturned lid of the box it came in, whilst I worked on it.

So I was just thinking, I could do with some of those little gadgets you use to sit your models on. I believe you did mention where they came from, but would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Are you still thinking about tackling the MDC in the canopy? Sorry if you already cleared that up, but this thread is massive! Some JP's seem to have it and others don't.

Happy New Year.

• Like 1

Nice work! Not sure about the no modelling over Christmas though. Gill was only too delighted that I started fettling on Christmas evening as it meant that I liked her present to me.

Martin

• Like 1

This has been an epic of a build and very intresting( and entertaining!), also I picked up many tips for my JP5 build, although, mine looks like a refuse wagon next to your Aston Martin, such is the quality of your build. Tell me please Fritag, how long have you been modelling and please make it a big number otherwise I will spiral into modelling depression. Top job sir.

Gary.

• Like 1

Those JPs are just superb!

I think I am going to have to steal some of your techniques for when I get around to finishing a couple of Dominie builds that I have had hanging around for a couuple of years now.

You've also quite put me off building a replica of the JP5A that I soloed on. :weep:

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 3

So I was just thinking, I could do with some of those little gadgets you use to sit your models on. I believe you did mention where they came from, but would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Are you still thinking about tackling the MDC in the canopy? Sorry if you already cleared that up, but this thread is massive! Some JP's seem to have it and others don't.

Happy New Year.

Them little gadgets are the small stands from the Tamiya painting stands. Here's a linkie to evil bay - dunno if this is the best seller/price - but it did have a photo :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Spray-Work-Painting-Turn-Table-Stands-X-2-in-a-Box-New-Hand-Tool-Tools/171611486717?_trksid=p2141725.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3De7a024d2bf164a2d8bff4fa40c1ef401%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D351018823443

MDC - Oh yes - still gonna do it - but I'n leaving that to be the very last task.......

Tell me please Fritag, how long have you been modelling and please make it a big number otherwise I will spiral into modelling depression.

Like most of us Gary - did a bunch of model making as a kid. Then had empty ump years away; during which time I probably did a couple of builds. And I've been back at it a couple of years now.

I think I am going to have to steal some of your techniques for when I get around to finishing a couple of Dominie builds that I have had hanging around for a couuple of years now.

You've also quite put me off building a replica of the JP5A that I soloed on. :weep:

Get them Dominies onto a WIP Debs - it's amazing what motivation that gives you..... :)

First solo on a 5A? That means BFTS at Cranwell?

We'll need a Herc build as well of course.......

Ok. So. The thing about being self employed is that no-one pays you when you're ill.....so funny old thing you only ever get ill when you're on holiday. Anyways I've just had my traditional Xmas man-flu - which required lots of laying about on the sofa being pathetic and being brought food and drink. It magically and briefly got better to go for a curry on Monday but I couldn't swing doing modelling and begin pathetic/getting brought food and drink. So had to ditch the modelling and so ain't gonna finish the JP's in 2014........ :(

Did get some done today tho :)

Nose aerial and (tiny) light on the JP5:

IMG_2993_zps027fea21.jpg

Nose aerial and light on the JP3.

IMG_3015_zpsf4b8f572.jpg

The anti-coll lights I 'punch' moulded earlier from sprue. Cut to size:

IMG_2998_zpsd76cb1b7.jpg

Gently sanded flat on the back:

IMG_2997_zpsef5511b8.jpg

One used clear on the bottom of the JP 3. Here it is alongside the white painted light (ident light?):

IMG_2999_zpsff894a6c.jpg

And here it is glued in place with Krystal Klear:

IMG_3004_zps2963e0ec.jpg

The others were airbrushed with tamiya clear red and attached top and bottom to both JPs (You can see the bottom one on the JP3 in the photo above):

IMG_3006_zpsa36c114b.jpg

IMG_3005_zps09e66896.jpg

And then the rain clearing vents on the nose of the JP5. Cut strips of black plastic card for the black bits and white for the white.....Logical huh :) Bit fiddly really....

IMG_3007_zps5665aaa4.jpg

I also masked and painted the JP3 tip tank lights using tamiya clear green and red:

IMG_3020_zpsb20ba46f.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsb6e994c9.jpg

But I don't think the red/green came out dark enough and I'll have to attend to that in some way. Tamiya smoke?

Well that's it for 2014. Off out for the evening. happy new year all. Hope to get these suckers finished in only another session or two :)....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 14