1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Mind your freezable bits dont get too frozed Steve

I heard that some winters the North Pole has to send a message to the Windy City

"Excuse me Chicago, I'm a bit too warm, can I have some of my ice back please"

Snow was gracing the land as I set out from Hedgehog Manor this morning.

10698480_883465158344964_272524536849905

• Like 2

Fantastic work Steve, they really look the part, if it wasn't for the fact you've already told us they are 1/72 I would have said there were at least 1/48.

Really like the JP3 the tip tanks just seem to finish it off nicely and everything looks balanced.

Alan

• Like 1

Any chance when these beauties are finished we can have photo of the them either side of your outstanding Chipmunk?

Absolutely cracking work Steve! Although your list of things to do seems long, you really are on the home straight now and like the rest of us lurkers, I'm really looking forward to seeing the end product. This truly has been a lesson in model engineering!

• 2 weeks later...

Back home from Procopius's home town of Chicago. Cue gratuitous holiday piccie:

IMG_2786_zpse0d65e0b.jpg

Ok - so 'Cloud Gate' is a bit of a tourist stereotype piccie - but hey - it's by a brit - Anish Kapoor - so it's sort of appropriate here......

Love your city PC.

Loved the Art Institute. Got to see Hopper's 'Nighthawks' again (it visited us in the UK for Tate Modern's Hopper retrospective in 2004) and Seurat's 'La Grand Jatte' for the first time. Oh - and the amazing David Bowie exhibition wos in town - which I'd not been able to get tickets for at the V&A in London.

Fraid the jury's out on the Chicago deep dish pizza tho' - went to Pizzeria Uno on the first evening; done that now and think I'll stick with Italian style :)

Course it wos a bit cold last week; below freezing every day - and my first Chicago purchase wos a pair of ear muffs (which I had hitherto managed to get through 50 years of life without needing) - but on the plus side it was nice and clear :)

Anyways. Back to legitimate britmodellor stuff.

The problem of how to do the JP windscreen framing was still there when I got back. My plan to use painted decal strip foundered on the fact that the acrylic paint kept cracking when I tried to get the strip to conform to the curve of the windscreens. I dunno if enamel paint would work better? - or I suppose one could try using the computer to print some strips in an appropriate colour? Anywhich way - I now wish I'd painted the bloomin things before sticking em to the fuselages :(

So I've reverted to Plan B - which is masking and painting the bl**dy things in situ.

Masking. The JP5 in particular was a pain in the proverbial:

IMG_2805_zps99bf61f4.jpg

IMG_2804_zpsa2466da3.jpg

And painting. The JP5 had a first coat of the grey internal colour and now a few coasts of white. I find that Tamiya flat white doesn't cover very well over a dark base coat - so I've tried Vallejo Model Air white for the first time - and it seems to cover better:

IMG_2806_zps8389d76b.jpg

Parts of the JP5 framing are a cream colour - and I still have that to do.

If truth be told I'm not very confident it's going to come out satisfactorily - and so there may be (an as yet unformulated) plan C to follow........

Hey - ho. Better try and catch up with some real world work now.........

Steve

PS. Chicago has some great places to eat! Italian food at Eataly - Steak at Benny's Chop House - fantastic Asian food at Sunda, afternoon tea at the Langham (where we were staying)......just as well the Langham had good gym facilities ;)

PPS sorry about the gratuitous holiday info - but we did have a great time!

PPPS sorry about the minimal legitimate BM update. It does rather look like it wos stuck in just to justify the gratuitous holiday info don't it :whistle:

• Like 7

Welcome back Steve! Just to show how well travelled I am - I've never even heard of 'Cloud gate' - it does look rather good though...!!

And I bet the windscreen framing will be fine.

Glad you enjoyed your holibobs, even gladder (?) to see progress on the JP's!

K

• Like 1

Not a fan of the deep dish either much prefer the thin n crispy variety. But a pizza must have extra jalapeños otherwise it would be illegal.

Never had any joy with spraying any matt onto decal film. Find it just isnt flexible enough and doesnt adhear enough to the film. Gloss enamel seems to be fine, never had trouble with that. Matt might work if sprayed on top of the gloss.
Just a thought.

Edit - Cloud gate, never heard of it before either. looks very impressive bet it cost a fair bit in Alclad though!

• Like 3

Never had any joy with spraying any matt onto decal film. Find it just isnt flexible enough and doesnt adhear enough to the film. Gloss enamel seems to be fine, never had trouble with that. Matt might work if sprayed on top of the gloss.
Just a thought.

Glad it's not just me. Was tempted to be paranoid...........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Glad you liked Chicago - it's one of my favourite American cities, but then I'm a helpless, hopeless Cubs fan. Hey, come on, any team can have a bad century. :)

I won't say anything about the deep dish other than you picked (IMHO) the worst of the deep dish joints to try. Uno's is a real tourist trap, that's why they're in every shopping mall in the country. If I were going to do the deep dish thing in Chicago, and I personally prefer a thin crust, I would go to Gino's East. Mostly because you can write on the walls and furniture (which you have to admit is not something you can do at home, at least not when Memsahib is watching). But the pizza is pretty good, even with double jalapenos.

Then there's the stuffed pizza at Giordano's - one slice, that's it - any more and it's the Return of Mr. Creosote.

So, back to modelling. I never had any luck using decal film for canopy frames either. I always paint them on. Thank someone somewhere for canopy masks.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I won't say anything about the deep dish other than you picked (IMHO) the worst of the deep dish joints to try. Uno's is a real tourist trap, that's why they're in every shopping mall in the country. If I were going to do the deep dish thing in Chicago, and I personally prefer a thin crust, I would go to Gino's East. Mostly because you can write on the walls and furniture (which you have to admit is not something you can do at home, at least not when Memsahib is watching). But the pizza is pretty good, even with double jalapenos.

Then there's the stuffed pizza at Giordano's - one slice, that's it - any more and it's the Return of Mr. Creosote.

I should reply at length later -- Fritag, you have no idea what a lucky escape you had, you were within sight of my office on Clark Street -- but I can't agree more on Uno's. They're wretched, absolutely wretched.

• Like 2

Ah. Well. It seems that I probably didn't see the best of the deep dish pizza then........

Even so - and armed with that knowledge - I'm not sure I'd devote another evening to trying it anywhere else :)

Last night I remasked the canopy and sprayed the cream/buff part of the framing:

IMG_2807_zps450d9147.jpg

With the following outcome:

IMG_2812_zps9e0f2ee1.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with it. But I've sent so many hours on it that I'm not sure I can face trying to get it better.

Hendie. I'll think I'll get some Microscale liquid decal film for future use.

Steve

• Like 8

Ah Sweet Chicago .... :heart: some of MY are there Sister etc....

and I have been to SUNDA...BENNY'S CHOP HOUSE and all the food places you've been to..

Good you enjoyed your stay in cold freezing Chicago; that old toddling town. . Every one should go at least once to Chicago. .

but I don't stay in hotels . Stay with many family over there when I go back..

by the way good progress...

nice work .

HOUSTON(where I also have family ! :) )

Ok. I think I'm ready to move on from the JP5 windscreen now..... :)

The full size has something of a yellow cast to the (fibreglass?) the framing that I handn't quite caught and rather prominent screw detaining (this photo I took at Hendon is a little washed out due to the camera flash):

DSC03755_zps3ebd0d94.jpg

I wasn't wholly happy with how I'd left it. So last night I applied a yellow oil wash/filter to the top part of the windscreen framing to make it a tad more yellow and used some Mick Grant rivet decals to simulate the screws.

I also added a bit of interest to the bottom corners of the framing using a thin strip of white decal (which you can make out on the first of the following two photos):

IMG_2818_zps36a498e9.jpg

IMG_2817_zps8c4e77c4.jpg

Arguably rivets are maybe a tad over-scale in very close up - but I really like the look; and pleasingly as you step a little back they disappear into the back ground as they do on the full size.

Glad to have that done. The windscreen is so visually prominent on the JP5 that i thought for a while I was going to spoil it all by making a hash of it,

Steve

PS. Just remembered there are a couple of (rain clearing?) vents at the base of the windscreen I need to add. I think Bill (perdu) pointed em put yonks ago.....thinking of using decals strip fir them too.

PPS. Bill - you're right about the ejection seat warning triangles. Several variations to be seen on different jets at different times. I did check in advance some old photos of CF 129 to make sure I got it right :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11

Anyone who folds his arms and points out that those rivets are overscale needs to be taken out and given a good kicking (with immaculately scale boots, obviously). Your models are so good that they are reminding me of things I had forgotten about the real aircraft. Wonderful work.

• Like 4