1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Ah, most timely. This means that I can watch, learn then shamelessly crib your technique when I attempt the canopy framing on the Comet.

Darn it. I was hoping that by now you'd have the comet canopy framed and I'd be copying.........

I must say I wholeheartedly agree with your panel line approach.....

This on the other hand is very refreshing and makes for a superb, in-scale finish. I'm really enjoying watching these beauties come together.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to stay true to an in-scale finish as much as I can, whilst at the same time making them interesting to look at. I decided to keep a wash in the engine bay lines because those panels (as an exception) can often be seen quite clearly in photos of in service JPs. These two photos are mine from the 80's:

imagejpg1_zps2ffe131b.jpg

IMG_0010_zps4a0282f0.jpg

They're not necessarily the best to ilustrate the point - but they'll do - and I'm not infringing anyone's copyright :)

I forgot to post these pictures I took at Duxford last month. I guess it's a bit late now, but at least they serve to show how realistic yours really are:

Ta for the complements doc :) Think you're ignoring you're own work at the very least tho' :)

Nice piccies. That T5 with tip tanks is really quite a beautiful aeroplane.

It'd be quite fun to do one with it's mouth open one day (maybe not in 1/72 tho')

Lovely stuff Steve sorry to see it was involved in another pilot induced flat spin ....

Can't believe it's almost done....I bet you can't either !!

Thanks Andy - what I can't believe is how long it takes me........:)

Today I bit the bullet and dealt with a residual consequence of the flat spin. After the crash I noticed pretty quickly that a very faint centre line joint line had appeared on the nose - suggesting the joint had been overstressed. I could only see it at certain angles - but it sort of bugged me and I thought it might open up.....

So I scribed a groove on the centre line to give me a channel to fill it with cyano, the rubbed it down carefully:

IMG_2708_zps0e14df89.jpg

And a quick squirt of Nato Black and the clear:

a2c33ae44aabc9f17834ac107ff1336a_zps4575

Easy fix by recent standards - and the security of knowing the joint is firmly glued.

First resin pour produced one decent U/C leg shackle and one disfigured by an air bubble. Pour number two on the go:

44bcbb9d2522b805da8a2aa166283422_zps2821

Course if I woz Cheshiretaurus I'd have been able to knock together vacuum and pressure tanks and it'd have been perfect first time :)

Did then manage to start decalling. Chance to use this handy little gizmo I picked up at Telford last year:

IMG_2704_zps1f96ffc5.jpg

And I've got as far as getting all the roundels and fin flashes in place:

3640705af46a2ee24ae74ddab92b2f2a_zpse239

Steve

• Like 13

I nearly wrote "good catch" then thought better of it so…

Good save on the nose split

It seems you think you are taking an inordinately long time over this

I think you are rocketing along, s'pose that's the benefit of wifely tolerance :(

What's it like?

Looking at the pair in formation

I bet you are glad you got the red delineator right on the 3

The line looks marvellous

great work

b

• Like 1

Stunning, especially with the decals on. They certainly have Captain Scarlet characteristics, but always bounce back - sorry for the pun. Agree with the wash decision. Less is definitely more.

OK have you sorted the CF logo yet? Or does one need to begin playing with 'Shop' 'Plus' and 'Gimp' soon? I got a grab off one or two of the pics you posted

I have the one you sent me some time ago and I was going to see how that came out in 1/72. Didn't have a plan beyond that :)

Do you think the grabs off the pics are better?

Nice wee formation in the last pic there Steve. Good save on the nose seam as well.

That decal tray is a cracking bit of gear - discovered a sudden need for one of those.

That decal tray is a cracking bit of gear - discovered a sudden need for one of those.

It works a treat :) The inner tray drops into the outer tray of water thereby wetting the decals - then lifts back out so the decals are nice and easy to get hold of. Just the sort of simple little gizmo that please my simple little mind......And you know how you just feel compelled to buy something wandering around all those trade stands at Telford.....

You've made things difficult for yourself along the way Steve..... :)

The odd crash here or there is an unfortunate but inevitable consequence of aviation Neil. 'Highway to the Danger Zone' and all that...... ;)

Of course there may have been some culpable negligence involved as well.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

Great that none of the spins have resulted in Cat 5 damage Steve and now the decalling has started, the quality of your build is the perfect canvass for the markings.

As a thought, it also means the start of the end of another one of your amazing build threads. I've enjoyed this one even more than the Chippie as it brought back so many happy memories for me of Fenton - I think by the time I finally left, I'd almost got the hang of what was going on! Took me 4 years! Never was a quick learner - that's why I needed a Nav in later years, to ensure there was someone with a brain in the cockpit!

• Like 3

that's why I needed a Nav in later years, to ensure there was someone with a brain in the cockpit!

That's wot the inertial platform wos for wasn't it? To do the brainy Nav bit. :) Certainly the only brainy bit in my Jag cockpit was the Nav kit......And come to think about it - most of the Nav kit was probably buried somewhere else in the jet and not in the cockpit at all. So no brains in the cockpit!

Anyways. I don't much like putting the transfers (oops I mean decals) on.....

It's been slow going. Partly cos I don't like doing it, partly cos there seems to be lots of variations between JPs as to the details of the minor markings and I have to check everything twice, and partly cos the Airfix decals keep falling apart on me.

The JP5 has black squares around the wing tank refuelling points thus:

ab867cc6bfcc30eb9c60131165ab13a2_zpsb463

I hadn't noticed or planned for that and I realised that I'd scribed a couple of circles in the wings, relying on I can't remember wot, as a guide that were probably meant to be the refuelling caps - but were oversized and in the wrong place - and so I had to fill em thus:

2b1e41672912ebfda96baf5905776eb8_zps5fc4

578ee18aaa05149efab79a5e04dbf347_zpsf8ac

And then fabricate the refuelling caps.

Drilled a hole in each wing in the correct spot:

87cdce2ff4cf4c31ce4af0bd8ba0c3a7_zpsf709

Glued in short length of rod - and trimmed and sanded it so it just stood slightly proud:

e025ed4e2febe6376dee919fe747cbb1_zpsbf53

The Airfix decals represented the refueling cap merely as a white circle. So they got punched out:

bfbd7529dfa0237e33410b44a4b591db_zps83a5

Then primed the refuelling caps and a squirt of Alclad:

f2868cd26117d93233bb657067d5d613_zps4e97

And matters were replicated somewhat better:

94ae3bb6c226e84e808918a0ea77c70d_zpsf099

20556bf0f7ef0d24fcaab3575a564298_zpsc1dc

A drop of yellow umber oil paint will probably finally finish it off.

This is where I'm up to with the 5. The 3 lags behind but will take less time as the CMR decals are pretty comprehensive:

4780abfaeb4c7854df53ebfa61ce56ba_zps936b

b4519910bb6357be98a5be80491c94c8_zps396e

Steve

• Like 10

Oh man I do so like this JP Steve

delightful mate, utterly fascinating to see it develop and improve

Wing tanks

Oh my I bet you bung some avtur in 'em just before you finish off

Anyway, to practicalities

The fuselage 'weathering' looks absolutely perfect to me

top stuff

b

These are not models, they are works of art and should be in a gallery to show what real talent is, seriously, to me they are that good, and I am not talking about an unmade bed as being art either. Stunning Fritag and 1/72 toboot. When you work, do you hold your breath like these people that model a town inside the eye of a needle because your craftmanship is that crisp, particularly the panel lines?

Gary.

• Like 5

It's getting to the point where I can't tell what's a photo of the real thing and what's a photo of the model.

Tidy job on those fuel caps Steve :thumbsup: