1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Hi Fritag

Try using crystal clear to glue them back, I use it for all my small aerials etc, once dry is very strong, plus if you do knock them off, the paint does not come off with it as its water based which will happen if you use super glue

Kev

I think we should all make a list of modelling problems that might need an engineering solution and take bets on whether (i) Mark has solved it yet and (ii) if not whether could do so given (say) less then 10 minutes to think about it (just to make it challenging for him).

10 mins for each or all? Bottle neck will be typing the answers.

LMFAO!!!! Wrong on so many levels :D Or is it just my warped sense of humour ;)

Over my head on that one mate :hmmm: could be just me thats warped though :D

Can't resist it! The QFI in me! The strakes wouldn't have prevented the spin, they would just have stopped it going oscillatory!!!!!!!!!

Once an instructor always an instructor

No offence intended, of course, Cheshire!!!

Non at all taken, At least I know what they do now.

Now what was we all here for?, oh yes I remember Fritag's JP..

If you do end up respraying as an alternate to the paper hole mask, you could mask the edge of the repair area with blue or white tac (white is less oily) as that will give a soft edge to the fresh paint.

Mark

• Like 1

Thread drift warning I'm afraid.

Multi tasking this afternoon. Working at home - repairing the JP5 and getting walking gear out of the attic as we're off to the orkneys for a week at the weekend.

Anyways. I came across several reels of my old 15mm HUD film in a box in the Attic - and as I was bored and as an experiment I've just scanned a few frames (I haven't got a projector to play the film so there's no science about the choice).

Red Flag 1989

IMG_0003_zpsb3145a0e.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsbd757ece.jpg

(Hope there was another truck or building or something hidden in the smoke - otherwise it looks like I'm gonna miss!)

Maple Flag 1987

IMG_0005_zpsca57f59c.jpg

IMG_0006_zps356c9805.jpg

Seems almost endearingly old fashioned.....

Perhaps by the time I get around to the Jag build i'll have been able to cherry pick the best shots from the films.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11

Repaired the damage. The revell red turned out to be very forgiving and I invisibly mended it by hand painting with the red thinned with flow enhancer. After umming and aahing used cyano to attach the little triangles.

Back where I was yesterday....

C86D6FD2-C71A-49CE-AFC0-0F46FE82945F_zps

• Like 8

Unmasked the nose light glazing - came off pretty cleanly - I had been a bit concerned given the number of coats of paint and klear it's had:

c691b140bca8e6392447a32c74aadbc3_zpsfa81

And for want of something else quick to do I added the roundels onto the home brew white discs:

891d5d76703adb58e511f106ac4df08b_zps44f1

Now slighly ahead of where I was when I dropped the bl**dy thing! :)

• Like 16

Beautiful execution - A lesson in masking a difficult scheme.

Always difficulty to understand why this subject has (until recently) been so neglected by the manufacturers - Oh for a 1/32 one.

Top notch Steve, I'd be proud of them lights if I were you.

Ta. I'm glad I junked the kit ones and went with the little lenses

BTW I enjoyed that prune thread on spinning the JP5/strikemaster you posted the link to.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

You must be coming to the stage now where it takes that hand-held flight round the workshop - Is that how it got dropped? Gone on admit it.

Or would that just be me?

• Like 5

You must be coming to the stage now where it takes that hand-held flight round the workshop - Is that how it got dropped? Gone on admit it.

Are you kidding?

THAT manual flight under strict tower control ("ready for take off tower, heading SWW * at flight level...")

Has to be absolutely mandatory

(Apologies for the absolutely non-realistic radio patter chaps, some of we is only wannabes)

No model ever gets on to my shelf until it has taken 'attitudes of flight' first

* I know there's numbers that can be used here but nautical references apply, my FIRST (bless it) model ever was Golden Hind

Edited by perdu

Nope, that would be me too!!!!!

It's looking the biz now Steve, love how the nose glazing has turned out :)

It's looking the biz now Steve, love how the nose glazing has turned out :)

Ta Neil. I'm pretty pleased with the nose glazing. It's such a prominent feature of the JP5.

I've been looking back thro' the thread and it was way back at the beginning of the year when I junked the kit parts. It reminded me of the help i had:

See posts #376 and #498

1. I got the idea of the little lenses from Mark's PA140 build.

2. Geedubelyer suggested crash moulding the new glazing for the nose.

3. Mark suggested making a resin cast from the 'orrible distorting kit glazing to use when crash moulding.

There. It's a group effort innit.

Steve

PS. MolarDoc, perdu, Woody, Keef and Procopius. Thank you for unburdening yourself of your inner children.....................I would just like it recorded that the JP crash did not occur during any test flying or dogfighting and was wholly unaccompanied by any 'whooshing' or other imitation of jet noise - or indeed any noise other than a plasticy clunk and the faint 'ping' of overstressed and disappearing etch and (possibly) the odd swear word or two.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

Just caught up with this and its looking top notch

Trawling around u-tube and found this series shows JP's and Hawks very well

May bring back some memories

Roger

• Like 1

.I would just like it recorded that the JP crash did not occur during any test flying or dogfighting and was wholly unaccompanied by any 'whooshing' or other imitation of jet noise - or indeed any noise other than a plasticy clunk and the faint 'ping' of overstressed and disappearing etch and (possibly) the odd swear word or two.....

Permission to treat the witness as hostile.

• Like 3