1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Cor! That's a bootiful finish. Nice job Steve. See,.....eazy peazy, lemon squeezy even with acrylics....

Until now I had never cottoned on to the fact that the red on the wings is more perpendicular to the trailing edge rather than the thrust line. Amazing what we learn on BM.

It does mean that all of the trainer models from my yoof (Chipmunk, Bulldog, JP's etc) were probably wrong though.

I drove past the heart of CFS along the A1 yesterday. Sad that everything has changed so much. JP's were a common sight at Waddo too. It's quite a neat sight to see the odd heritage JP at airshows from time to time.

Anyhoo, back to your models and I'm eager to see the decals in place now. Keep up the good job.

Cheers.

Great stuff Klear, I am not looking forward to the day I run out as there is just nowt like it, Especially for applying neat under decals,

I wish we could get Johnsons to re-release it for model makers.

Need owt else?

Ahh. I'm glad you asked that Bill.

I'm not sure what colour the undercarriage legs are - grey or painted silver or natural metal (I mean the bits other than the chrome oleos). Could you have a look?

Also. Can you have a look and see where it's leaking and what bits look like they get dirty and what bits look a bit worn?

I rather suspect that as a museum piece it'll be too clean and polished and anything that might have leaked will be long removed. But you never know...

Ta

Enjoy. Think of the rest of us working away to earn a crust........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Over the last few years at RAF Cosford airshows there were still many JPs in this scheme different marks too. They did not look like flyers or preserved airframes they just looked like they were sat there waiting their fait. I believe they are still in the RAF hangars and not part of the Museums collection

I could be wrong of course but they could be good if you needed to get up close if its possible for you to do so.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Very sharp and crisp. A factory finish. Just reward for all your sweat and tears. I bet you're relieved now you've got a coat of Klear on though. I think you should savour the moment with a glass of wine or two. Besides I think you'll need a few more corks to rest the JPs on.

front leg definitely silver painted

magnify this for that

So you can paint the nose leg whilst you wait 'til my next visit here

5AceHendon210_zps638c5c5d.jpg

"Enjoy. Think of the rest of us working away to earn a crust........"

Some of us, when in our pre hard earned retirement mode, may have worked long hours in inhospitable conditions at many roadsides solving problems for stranded motorists

Some of us may well have worked many upto seventeen hour days in order to provide essential lifelines

Some of us didn't get to swan about in hypersonicfighterbomber jets at public expense

some of us enjoy our bloody retirement and are very glad we don't still go in every day on nasty shift patterns that disrupted our family lives for thirty years

:thumbsup:

Oh yes, I will Enjoy. And Think of the rest of us working away to earn a crust........

;)

he he hee

:)

• Like 1

Over the last few years at RAF Cosford airshows there were still many JPs in this scheme different marks too. They did not look like flyers or preserved airframes they just looked like they were sat there waiting their fait. I believe they are still in the RAF hangars and not part of the Museums collection

Cheers Rob ;)

I think they were (maybe still are) used for marshaller training, so were still runners if not flyers.

K

• Like 1

I think they were (maybe still are) used for marshaller training, so were still runners if not flyers.

K

The ones at cosford were used for marshalling and flight servicing training and the majority of them were taxiable. They have all been replaced with the jaguars now.

• Like 2

Cheshiretaurus is pondering when to unmask the anti dazzle panel on his vampire over on his vampire thread and with coincident timing I have to do the black nose panel on the JP5.

See Perdu's post #1014 above - which shows the nose to good effect.

I decided to paint the black after the white because of the obvious difficulty of getting white to adequately cover black. But it's left me with a masking problem.

As you can see only a narrow strip of white is left between the black and the red - and it tapers and curves as well.

The problem with this is that as soon as I lay any masking tape on the white it immediately covers and largely obscures the white and so I can't properly see if I've masked it accurately or not......Pain.

Anyways. The only solution I can think of is this:

c11ab26c-dbfa-4e5d-b1d1-2d855b1d3a4f_zps

I cut a thin strip of Tamiya tape (the guide strip) and laid it on the nose outside/above the residual white stripe (i.e. inside the black area). I could then see the shape and extent of the residual white strip. Once happy I used this as a guide to lay a second thin strip of masking tape (the masking strip) directly along side and abutting the guide strip.

I then removed the guide stripe leaving (hopefully) the masking strip accurately positioned and which I can now reinforce and extend with more tape.

I've done both sides now but haven't yet sprayed the black (Tamiya Nato black - which is one of those just slightly off black colours as I think this looks better at 1/72)) so if any one has a better solution there may still be time to save me...... :)

Steve

(Wow more than 1,000 replies - I clearly need to work faster.......)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6

I've nothing better Steve, for what it's worth that would be the way I'd do it too.

And just cos you have a 1000 replies don't go rushing to get them finished - I think most of those are people telling you how much they're enjoying it...!!

K

• Like 1

1000 Replies for the JPs I predict they will be complete at 1200, Chippy was 700 I'm expecting the Hawks to be 1500 and the Jags 1800 soley based on complexity of type!

Like the plan with masking tape as a guide. should be good results.

Ended up googling Hendon last night and planning my own trip, bout a 3.5 hour drive. Think I was last there in the late 90s went on a coach trip with the Manchester branch of Bomber Command association. Think its time for another trip.

Edited by Cheshiretaurus
  • Like 1

Cheshiretaurus is pondering when to unmask the anti dazzle panel on his vampire over on his vampire thread and with coincident timing I have to do the black nose panel on the JP5.

See Perdu's post #1014 above - which shows the nose to good effect.

I decided to paint the black after the white because of the obvious difficulty of getting white to adequately cover black. But it's left me with a masking problem.

As you can see only a narrow strip of white is left between the black and the red - and it tapers and curves as well.

The problem with this is that as soon as I lay any masking tape on the white it immediately covers and largely obscures the white and so I can't properly see if I've masked it accurately or not......Pain.

Anyways. The only solution I can think of is this:

c11ab26c-dbfa-4e5d-b1d1-2d855b1d3a4f_zps

I cut a thin strip of Tamiya tape (the guide strip) and laid it on the nose outside/above the residual white stripe (i.e. inside the black area). I could then see the shape and extent of the residual white strip. Once happy I used this as a guide to lay a second thin strip of masking tape (the masking strip) directly along side and abutting the guide strip.

I then removed the guide stripe leaving (hopefully) the masking strip accurately positioned and which I can now reinforce and extend with more tape.

I've done both sides now but haven't yet sprayed the black (Tamiya Nato black - which is one of those just slightly off black colours as I think this looks better at 1/72)) so if any one has a better solution there may still be time to save me...... :)

Steve

(Wow more than 1,000 replies - I clearly need to work faster.......)

I have just bought some 2mm thick tape for just this sort of occasion, when I get home I'll let you know where I got it from and post the details here :)

I meant to mention that a JP5a flew over Wetherby on Saturday as I was wandering about. Low enough that there was no doubt what it was - but too high to see any detail but a silhouette and an occasional flash of shiny red. Reminded me just how noisy for such a little jet it was.

Brought a lump to my throat. Well nearly. Well alright it didn't - but it was still nice to see. Used to be such a common sight (and sound) over N Yorkshire......

There used to be one that operated out of Manchester some years ago,so used to see that quite

frequently in the area.

Plenty of noise and not much go,or as my mate put it,lots of hiss but not much whoosh.

And the Viper down the back going "Hur,hur,hur,feed me now"as it gobbles lots of fuel :drink:

Isn't there a 5 the runs out of Newcastle or Tees Valley?,could be the one you saw Steve.

Edited by Miggers

There used to be one that operated out of Manchester some years ago,so used to see that quite

frequently in the area.

Plenty of noise and not much go,or as my mate put it,lots of hiss but not much whoosh.

And the Viper down the back going "Hur,hur,hur,feed me now"as it gobbles lots of fuel :drink:

Isn't there a 5 the runs out of Newcastle or Tees Valley?,could be the one you saw Steve.

Either Manch or Woodford (not sure where it is now, not even sure of the reg), If its the one I'm thinking of someone took it into the Barton circuit one day and got a bit of a wrap on the knuckles for it IIRC for the telephone was on fire afterwards with the noise complaints from the residents of Eccles.

What was it they said 'fuel to noise converter' or something like that.

Edited by Cheshiretaurus
  • Like 1

Noisy, yes, but it's all relative. I was on holiday in Norfolk last September and two F-15s were tooling about over our heads at around 5,000'. Holy crap they were making a din; that tearing metal noise that makes your chest cavity vibrate.

Clearly they need to get up to Barton and teach the residents of Eccles a thing or two about real noise.

"It's the sound of freedom", as our USMC exchange pilot used to yell with monotonous regularity!

• Like 1

Wasn't it something along the lines of 'variable noise - constant thrust' for the viper?

When I was young and had a role in making the noise I used to think it was the sound of freedom. Now I'm inclined to Ex-FAAWAFU's interpretation of it as a 'Din'. Last time I was walking up in Scotland there were Typhoons meandering about at 5000' plus - and I just wanted them to pi** off.

Got a busy week with work but I was keen to get the black on the nose as it looked kind of odd in it's absence. Tamiya Nato black with a bit of white mixed in to lighten it a tad further.

This where all my chambers's post it notes go - artistic eh?

EDF9F585-01D3-4D81-BE18-1AF6B04E8096_zps

9A028746-1D5A-4076-8676-8834B7326AC2_zps

I tell you I was a bit nervous when it came to unmasking:

930c56abe4f0aff49ce72f6fd92f9d79_zpse841

9d76a51f6909f2d3f527e3d01992561a_zps6d19

4b9819718a32e5b56ccc5184392f48a6_zps58c8

Pretty good. Like Cheshiretaurus I've got a little bit of cleaning up to do - maybe a tweek here or there.

I'll probably protect the black with a light coat of Klear once I'm happy with it.

Could have gone badly wrong but didn't tho......:)

Looks a bit more lik a JP now; albeit a bit too shiny and toy like at the mo.

Also a bit nervous about what I'll find when I take the nose light masking off........

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 12