1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

For some it's anal retentiveness. The same thing, for others, is attention to detail. It has to be right - doesn't it?

I'm trying to get the cables 'right' on a 1/144 scratch build of a Houchin GPU. My problem is that the binding/ taping you could just about make out in 1/1 scale just does not look right 144 times smaller.

I say your seat & belts look magnificent and any criticism is unjustified - even if it is self-criticism! I loved your Chip build and love this too.

I have thankfully 99% finished both of the JP5 SRPCSAEEMs (if you're up to date with Cheshiretaurus's Cherokee build you'll know what I mean) and they're in the cockpit tub ready to go into the fuselage.

With bang seat no 2 (the instructors seat) I tried to put bend some slight folds into the lap belts to minimize the 2d effect. But really the PE is rather too small and stiff for that and the pre-colouring starts to peel off almost as soon as you put a proper bend in it.

B57F8C74-06B3-49A0-92E1-5D895C5A7B94-472

F1DDFE6E-7B0F-4494-A1C2-CDB21463F267-472

7D34CFB0-7BB5-463D-827E-DF71CC5908A3-472

The bottom ejection handle fell off No 1 and got eaten by the carpet monster - so I've left them both off for now.

I found a second hand spare one in the attic - but somehow I don't think it will fit:

9b4cd48b.jpg

Luckily CMR give you a spare lower seat handle on the PE fret. Someone was thinking how cack handed modellers can be..

On the cusp of zipping up the fuselage. I'd like to get it done before the weekend as I'm going to Telford on Saturday morning (be hanging around there between about 10 and 1) and then off to Guernsey for a few days break.

Only got tomorrow night to do it though so may not happen. Wouldn't want to actually make more than snail's pace progress after all :weep:

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6

For some it's anal retentiveness. The same thing, for others, is attention to detail. It has to be right - doesn't it?

Wise words Rich.

For some of us though its not a case of not wanting things to be right, but its just a lack of knowledge, skill and patience that lets us down - in my case I try, but for whatever reason things just don't work so I have to be content with things looking ok to me in the cabinet!!

Can only sit back and wonder at the work of some of you guys, Steve, Woody, Navy Bird, Bill C, Col etc, its a joy to watch these models unfold!

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

I have thankfully 99% finished both of the JP5 SRPCSAEEMs (if you're up to date with Cheshiretaurus's Cherokee build you'll know what I mean) and they're in the cockpit tub ready to go into the fuselage.

And very comfortable they look too!!

The bottom ejection handle fell off No 1 and got eaten by the carpet monster

I found a second hand spare one in the attic - but somehow I don't think it will fit:

9b4cd48b.jpg

You could always scratchbuild a slightly bigger JP around it....!! :whistle::lol:

May hopefully see you at Telford, if you're passing the IPMS West Glamorgan stand I may be hanging about there, but on the other hand I could well be wandering around with a glazed look on my face - that's the usual Telford way! Be prepared to be overwhelmed Steve - and those 3 hours you'll be there are probably the most manic of the weekend ....!! :frantic:

• Like 4

Freitag,

I have been keeping a silent watch on this build as I did on your previous one of the Chipmunk. As a huge 72 scale man I am both massively impressed with your skill and reassured that modellers of quality still like the scale. As an aside, really love your subjects as well.

Many thanks

Mal

Must say that I rather enjoyed Telford last Saturday - too many people for my taste - but shouldn't grumble cos it shows that the event is a big success. I picked up some absolutely must-have tools that somehow had never been must-have before and probably won't be must-have in the future - but it's all part of the fun.

Since then I've been away for a few days in Guernsey; but back now and starting to dabble again.

Something Tim said set me thinking:

Steve!

Where are the leg restraint lanyards?!!!!!!!!

I wasn't going to bother - but had some fine fuse wire hanging about and a pot of blue paint so - just for you Tim - even tho' I bet they won't be seen in the depths of the cockpit. I wrapped em around the control column in time honoured fashion. Bit overscale but what the heck....

0C6203AA-C969-4918-BA8C-BCE77D237F16-906

003DE925-5DAF-4F8E-9C46-49CB33B37609-906

B4C1D74A-0459-4B20-ACC6-2B79B81D0139-906

Seats look perfect: just the right amount of weathering/shading

Thanks dr_gn. I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall when you and Bill (Perdu) were talking modelling at Telford - throwing out little gems of hints and tips left right and centre.

For some it's anal retentiveness. The same thing, for others, is attention to detail.

Thanks Rich. The leg restraints BTW are all Tim's fault and not anal retentiveness! Don't know how you do 1/144 scale. Phew.

Can only sit back and wonder at the work of some of you guys...

Ah. But I for one wish I could wield an airbrush like you Simon.

As an aside, really love your subjects as well.

Thanks Mal. Everyone seems to have an affectionate memory of the Chipmunk, and I think the JP is fondly remembered these days as well - although I suspect it was regarded by many as a noisy nuisance in its day.

That's a bit special that is.

Ta Goggsy. Plenty of time left to c**k it up yet.

Not back at work until Monday so hoping to make some progress before then.

Steve

• Like 4

Must say that I rather enjoyed Telford last Saturday - too many people for my taste -

Steve

As I mentioned before Steve, Saturday morning is always the most manic time of the weekend - but this year it was particularly so - I've never seen it that busy before (queuing for the loos, whatever next??!!), & I heard some expressions of surprise from a couple of committee members about the number of people there, so I think they were a bit taken aback too!

Those lanyards look the biz, & I think they'll show up pretty well with the big cockpit opening of the JP!

• Like 1

Wow...

After the chippy build I always knew this would be impressive. Yet you never cease to amaze me; those seats and cockpit are looking fantastic.

Where did you get those plastic crocodile clips? They look rather handy

In awe Steve! Trying to think of some more banter that will get you scratching your head for a nano-second for a solution!

The control surfaces probably don't move with the stick, he should get on that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Where did you get those plastic crocodile clips? They look rather handy

Ah - that was part of my haul from Telford:

B166CDAC-2DDF-41EB-ADA8-0F28805B8F80-114

Along with a cyano applicator (always used a cocktail stick before) a sticky picker upper thingy (never needed one of them before!) a wholebunch of disposeable little plastic cups (use lots of them and never get around to cleaning them) and one or two other bits and bobs.

I'm currently obsessed with the plastic crocidile clip thingy. It came on a plastic sprue to be detached and assembled. Dunno how long it will last - but it's good for hanging onto stuff for photographing with my iPhone.

I've only had to do a tiny bit of file work to get the cockpit tub to fit in the fuselage. I thought I might have to do this to the seats - which is ok; nothing that is visible from above:

EDF37998-1DEB-43EE-8FEE-CAFF271D01CD-114

EC3DC0C2-FA03-4902-ADEF-0958A0AF20D8-114

And I've been thinning down the plastic around the nose-light glazing.

6A29199A-E2AE-41EC-BDD4-5149CF167A31-114

See how good that plastic crocodile clip thingy is? Love it. (Saddo)

Steve

• Like 1

I hear a rumour that the control runs aren't going to be connected to the machinery, surely not.

Undoubtedly a vile calumny, I will lobby my MP to have this evil badness brought up in the House

Tskk tskk

Are you really using five minute goo-dah? Bloody stuff never works for me :(

Anyway, back on topic the whole thing is looking top notch, I like the tangled webs we weave around the column, that will show and look absolutely right.

(When I was chatting with dr_gn I spent the whole time gazing in awe at the turret from his Defiant which he had brought to show his advisor Les Whitehouse, the Boulton and Paul historic chap. The turret is just "SO!" I was uberuberimpressed)

Nice chap Garth is, I really should have been dredging hits and tips...

keep on with the good works Steve, 'tsmagic

b

• Like 1

The home brew instrument panel has now had the 5 minute epoxy treatment:

ACD4F906-AAEB-4378-A057-009FF6676B96-178

What's the problem with the five minute goo-dah Bill? I used it cos I needed a strong fix where there wasn't much surface area to glue together. Seems a good solution?

Anyways. It all set in a pretty good position:

09313B65-7A89-4B14-91B1-47FC8D1A21D3-178

164F0257-0780-4217-A0FD-65226FEF8F27-178

I haven't played about much with the nose lights. In real life they're mounted on a horizontal frame rather than a bulkhead as in the kit but - the nose glazing is so small and the interior so dark - I don't think it's worth doing much. I have glued a small length of strip horizontally underneath the lights to hint at the frame - but it's hardly visible:

C39683B5-AB99-4B9C-92EC-1717CF00E5D2-178

26A68F88-4657-4642-9513-E4C7056CFF9D-178

The JP5a fuselage is now ready to be zipped up. I'll do it when I have enough time to devote to ensuring it all gets lined up properly.

The CMR JP3a has sat in the box untouched for a while so it was nice to get it out and play. I've given the cockpit a base coat of Revell Anthracite - as it's a dark grey/not quite black (thanks to Phil (Vulcanicity) for that reccomendation during my Chippie build)):

0B5823C6-921E-480D-A1ED-D90F1A3A5309-178

A98B68AF-B18D-48F8-9761-D4D7374FE2F1-178

5A6A314B-4D2E-48F4-B723-14DE023B0AAC-178

Incredible moulded detail. The (tiny) throttles are supplied as seperate parts - and are a bit of a challenge to fit! All I've done to it so far is drill out and replace the flap lever on the port fuselage and replace the hp cock on the centre console (which broke off).

The challenge will be to bring the detail out in the painting.

Steve

• Like 3

:rofl:

five minute goo-dah

Hmm are you insidubloodyating I should not have trusted the stuff to hold a small bike compooter magnus to the brake drum on my Midget, young man?

I'll have you know you are exactly right :(

But as this is less of a hot'n'wild environment maybe I should lighten blooming up...

Point taken :)

I love the way that you are adapting reality to the minscule environment with the light mount framing

less is mo'

The 5 looks supreme, the 3 (work in progress as it be) looks kind of enticing

I'm wondering if I should maintain my quest for a Airfix one to battardise or not

CMR looks a viable alternative, if maybe a tad less cheapo

I quite like the old Airfix "nearly a JP3" kit, having looked at the JP more closely these days I might just enjoy cutting the wing fillets orf andmaking it a bit more aerodynamical.

(Now then, can anyone explain why I keep spelling 'the' the?, My head is getting done in...)

b

Edited by perdu