Airfix new tool Typhoon

Being laid up for the next month having had knee replacement surgery should see me get quite a bit of bench time. I decided to build Airfix's new 1/72nd Typhoon which my grand daughter brought me as a get well soon present. Will be totally out of the box as most of my aftermarket stuff is stored in the loft which I can't get to!

Progress so far:-

Interior bits painted..

IMG_0240_zpscd539de6.jpg

Wheel wells done and a grimy wash added for interest..

IMG_0241_zpsd1b15557.jpg

Fuselage sides and IP. Not much detailing done here as very little will be seen once buttoned up..

IMG_0242_zps969fe22c.jpg

Comments welcome, more tomorrow.

A few more progress pics,,,

Fuselage buttoned up...

IMG_0244_zpsc664f162.jpg

Looks like a Typhoon now...

IMG_0246_zps1f7dd201.jpg

Prop added for a bit of decoration!

IMG_0247_zpseb6bcdbe.jpg

All ready now for a first coat of primer to find any imperfections. This really is a lovely little kit, absolutely no fit issues whatsoever, goes together like a dream. Just going to leave it now to set up overnight and then it's on with paint.

• Like 1

Looking good Airgunner, I am surprised that you did not open up one of the cannon bays. they were beautifully done, even so a loverly build.

Thanks for the comments, they are nice, but I prefer my builds as would have been on the ground, unless I am doing a diorama or something specific.

A small update,

Primed and preshaded..

IMG_0249_zps9f345c74.jpg

IMG_0250_zps14e92754.jpg

And got some paint on...!!

IMG_0253_zps7207110b.jpg

IMG_0256_zps8716b8ba.jpg

Tomorrow, hopefully decals, weathering and dangly bits!

Cheers

Steve

Still looking Airgunner, I hope no offence was taken about my comment, each to their own in build, I was just saying how good they looked.

Absolutely no offence taken at all, I will agree they are excellent and do look very good, but I prefer the clean look to my builds rather than the busy, all panels open approach taken by others.

Just a small update.

Decals on...

IMG_0258_zps52fff936.jpg

IMG_0259_zps741c1118.jpg

I have to say, I was very disappointed with the quality of the decals, whilst very thin, both sets of wing roundels and both fin flashes are out of register. All the other new tool Airfix kits I have built the decals have been excellent, so I am hoping I may have had a dodgy set. Given I couldn't get to my spares box, I just used them as is, and hopefully after a bit of creative weathering, it won't notice too much.

As always ,comments more than welcome.

Well done to the GD she did you a big favor. I don't think these new Airfix kits need any AM parts, they are just fine as they are. Having recently built the Gnat and Vampire, I'm more than happy with the results

Colin.

Your Typhoon is looking good. I have some comments: it looks like there is some grey missing next to the innermost port wing's white invasion stripe; and 247 Sqn were rocket equipped at this point (hence the nose-art rocket breaking the Nazi eagle). A bit tedious to do now, but the chin looks like it could do with a spot of filler? Sorry to sound negative, I really like seeing your build in progress.

Your Typhoon is looking good. I have some comments: it looks like there is some grey missing next to the innermost port wing's white invasion stripe; and 247 Sqn were rocket equipped at this point (hence the nose-art rocket breaking the Nazi eagle). A bit tedious to do now, but the chin looks like it could do with a spot of filler? Sorry to sound negative, I really like seeing your build in progress.

Hi Ben, thanks for you comments, yes the invasion stripe needs attention, the paint pulled off when I umasked it, The nose will get some filler and be addressed at the same time.I agree with your comments about the rockets, but I've gone for 'artistic licence' and like the cleaner look of the bombs, so that's what see has got. The rockets just look so ugly! I'm not really a total stickler for historical accuracy as far as timeframes go, I just build what I think may look nice!

Well, sticking a fork in it and calling it done...

IMG_0260_zps9c90ddef.jpg

Only quandry now is, I like the semi-gloss finish that the future has given it but I'm not sure whether it is authentic and if I should flat coat it. What do you think?

More pictures will be on RFI as soon as I get my camera back from the menders.

Regards

Steve

wow....looks great.

If your recovery is half as good as your modelling skills you'll be running a marathon pretty soon.

One of my all time favourite aircraft. Not the most beautiful....... but in it's own right absolutely awesome.

• 1 month later...

Nice build Airgunner - I'm doing the same myself and noticed your comment about the decals. My problem's with the leading edge, yellow wing decals - I can't get mine to fold over the wing edge and wondered what you did in the end - paint of use from another set ?

Most interested to know !

Cheers !

You see. You didn't need any aftermarket stuff for it after all! Its turned very well considering your unwellness!! Very nice work indeed. In fact The quality of the kit just wants to make you build it well.

Re the yellow leading edge strips. use more decal solution to soften the items. Or use warmer water for these as this helps soften them.