1/48 F-14D 519618 VF-31 OIF - FINISHED

Well, been a while. The last plane I built was the delightful 1/48 Hobby Boss Me262, and this kit is proving to be no less delightful and enjoyable to build so far.

This kit has had been much maligned for various reasons: Intakes are slightly off, the mad-riveter has struck, the fuel tanks aren't off centre, too much detail in odd places (two entire engines) etc. etc. Now, while this may be true, there is a HUGE amount going for this kit as I'm finding out.

Firstly, the cockpit; you would only be able to beat this cockpit with a resin cockpit, and even then some of the resin pits are not as up to date in terms of MFD's and the RIO's sidecontroller.
Secondly, the main gear bays; these fit together extremely well and don't clash with the intakes. The undercarriage installation calls for the gear legs to be inserted during the bay construction, but this isn't necessary.
Thirdly, the details; this is the first kit I've seen with such a detailed Vulcan, most especially the detail in the cannon port, outstanding. The weapons load is superb and varied (bizarrely including AGM-88 HARM and AGM-84 Harpoon?!) and , yet unfortunately the kit only provides two ADU-703 and BRU-32 bombracks. Minor, but annoying.
Other great details, off the top of my head, are the inclusion of the reinforced area around the RIO's step, the GPS dome for the spine, the internal side panels for the cockpit, LANTIRN pod, LAU-138 BOL Sidewinder rails, the engine fan faces and exhaust fans and flame holders, exhaust petal construction, arrestor hook detail... You might get the impression I like this!

Anyway, in between finishing some of my stalled builds, I bought this off Charley420 and decided to get it started and hope it wasn't going to be a putty black hole. So far, so good.

The kit:
DSC02156.JPG

Decal options in the box:
VF-101
DSC02187.JPG

VF-213
DSC02188.JPG

Reference material
DSC02190.JPG

The Tomcat 'Bible'
DSC02192.JPG

TwoBobs 'Felix in the Fight ' VF-31 OIF (I'm going to model 519618 '110')
DSC02193.JPG

W&D Studio pitot and AOA for the Hobby Boss kit
DSC02179.JPG

Eduard Canopy masks
DSC02177.JPG

• Like 1

One of the perks of using this kit for the VF-31 OIF bird is the inclusion of the IFR (VF-31 removed the IFR large panel, as experience showed that there was a good chance the panel would be dislodged in the high and murky conditions over the Persian Gulf and Iraq and then become a FOD hazard). With a bit of fettling, it looks good.

DSC02198.JPG

I had to hack away at the interior to allow it to stow

DSC02196.JPG

And with the forward panel in place

DSC02195.JPG

The impressive Vulcan assembly (it's being dry fitted here, so it's not lying correctly)

DSC02199.JPG

The cannon muzzle

DSC02200.JPG

The intakes have the fuel tank mounting points in the centre, I drilled two holes to the outer side of the intakes and then filled the old holes.

DSC02202.JPG

Intake trunks mount as another major manufacturers do

DSC02203.JPG

The awesome cockpit primed and ready for detail painting

DSC02205.JPG

The main gear bays. Easy to assemble and very robust.

DSC02206.JPG

Fits like a glove!

DSC02207.JPG

The intake fan, very well detailed, it provides the fan and the compressor fan behind it.

DSC02209.JPG

Dry fitting the painted up pit

DSC02214.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, that 'pit looks great, nice work mate!

And of course the question that everyone wants to know, what's it like against the 'gawa tomcat? are the intakes easier to put together?! :)

Pretty much the same with regards to the intakes, very much the same idea and same joins to fill ;)

More progress! This kit wants to be built. :work:

The exhaust petals are provided as a separate assembly, which assembles around a ring. Sounds very complex, but surprisingly it is easy and has a very positive fit.

DSC02215.JPG

DSC02216.JPG

Hobby Boss have also provided the exhaust internal ceramic plates. This attaches to the end of the exhuast tunnel and the option is provided for either 'open' or 'closed' petals with corresponding plates. Once again, this level of detail is usually only seen in resin A/M sets.

DSC02225.JPG

DSC02226.JPG

The main gear is next-level detail. Comprising of 9 pieces per gear leg, it is begging to be 'jazzed up' with brake cables etc. Honestly, this level of detail isn't even available in A/M sets! Oh, and make you sure you have a copy of Mr Danny Coremans' finest work as reference as the instructions are a bit vague. I would not have been able to construct these without Mr Coremans' and Mr Drendel's works!

DSC02222.JPG

DSC02223.JPG

DSC02221.JPG

Cockpit after a matt spray

DSC02217.JPG

DSC02220.JPG

DSC02219.JPG

The intake trunking has been sanded to death, but as ever, the camera never lies! Frustratingly you can see the seam, so I'll wait till the paint is dry and sand it down again... :banghead:

DSC02224.JPG

• Like 3

Hobbyboss seem to be getting a right uncalled for bashing lately , but Ive just finished their F-111 and it really is a great kit.

This F-14 looks to be another cracker, good job

Good work so far mate. I had an absolute nightmare with my A model, so much so that it's sitting half finished in the corner, i didn't like it at all! Be acreful when fitting the panels over the Vulcan as I found them to be a bugger to get flush. Also found the wings to be a bit of a bugger. Maybe I just had a dodgy kit

Which BuNo are you going for? I recently finished 163898 '104'.

Dave

Hey bud, thanks for the heads up, but the gun and fuselage panels seeem ok so far. I believe it's BuNo 159618 '110' form the OIF cruise. I'm going to model it during the cruise, so no crew names or bomb tally.

Hey bud, thanks for the heads up, but the gun and fuselage panels seeem ok so far. I believe it's BuNo 159618 '110' form the OIF cruise. I'm going to model it during the cruise, so no crew names or bomb tally.

I must have got a dodgy kit, or my skills had disappeared that day :lol:

I'm sticking to the Hasegawa kits!

Hobbyboss seem to be getting a right uncalled for bashing lately , but Ive just finished their F-111 and it really is a great kit.

This F-14 looks to be another cracker, good job

Thanks Darth, yeah, I agree on the HB bashing. I'm not going to open a can of worms, just make what seems to be a really nice kit. I really enjoyed making thier Me262, cracking build and plane, and this looks to be similar so far.

You're not hanging around with this one! Looks a cracking kit oozing with detail, which you've brought out even more with your painting, looking forward to following you along the way with this one.

Great work .

I'm building this same kit only the F-14A version and loving every minute of it. Fabulous fit and details all the way so far and having done 3 Has 1/48 F-14's builds in years past, this beats it (IMHO) hands down in all respects..

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Redcap, yes, the detail is very good, it also makes a very enjoyable kit so far. Have you got a WIP thread?

Pickles, you shouldn't be too disappointed, though you might have to scratch or steal a pair of bomb racks if you're going to make a bomb cat.

Totally agree. There are of course some individuals who are never happy unless they are complaining about something - no matter how trivial!!. I have 2 F-111s. Beautiful kits.Will follow this build with interest

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Not too much done today as a trip to IKEA was the priority to soothe International relations... :fuyou_2:

Built up the SJU-17 seats and added the provided etch. Not a great etch master, but this went on pretty easily as the brass is quite soft. Interestingly, the seats come with small 'dog ears' (canopy breakers), so are correct OOB for the RIO, but both seats sprues have the larger dog ears for the pilots' seat, so it's a matter of cutting off one pair and replacing them. Easy.

DSC02227.JPG

Also built up the armament and stores. This plane will be carrying the typical mid/late OIF load of 2 x AIM9-L, LANTIRN, Phoenix rail and 2 x GBU-12.

AIM9-L's are really nice, great details.

DSC02228.JPG

The LTS or ,as it is incorrectly but commonly called, LANTIRN pod is pretty good, but the instructions would have you mount the seeker head upside down according to what images I can find. Most of the time the seeker head is 'stowed' to the rear anyway, but worth pointing out if you want to display it with the optics showing.

DSC02230.JPG

Now, however, it's time to braai, as ensuing 'Peace-Talks' involve having the in-laws around! :fuhrer:

Sirloin, lamb chops and a lekker salad!

DSC02232.JPG

• Like 3