Atlas rocket at 1/48,in resin by martins models.

HI,Thought i,d start this new one from martins models,im not sure which mission im doing yet,but i,ll just complete the carrier rocket first,then worry whats going on top?,do a bit more research on different ones.so heres the start of the build,theres not too many parts,so the work is going to be in the finish,as it can be a very unforgiving,mirror finish,depending on how you complete it?..

the start..

006_zps120f2cbd.jpg

its getting the mating surfaces together,with as little of a gap as possible,especially on this sleek beast?

007_zps9fa5eb38.jpg

008_zps72edcfeb.jpg

009_zps87e44d4d.jpg

upper stages

017_zps222cc560.jpg

bit of sanding and emery cloth,then see how it looks...

cheers Don

Hi a few more pics,to bring it up to tonights,session...

after sanding....

001_zps997f2330.jpg

004_zpsee1f8bf0.jpg

005_zpsb9924c3c.jpg

first coat of black

006_zps95ee760a.jpg

007_zps9922e891.jpg

engine stage,is a different colour..

008_zpse54d1b4a.jpg

009_zps000c8df1.jpg

010_zps957d40e1.jpg

011_zpsd123b865.jpg

012_zps5508bbde.jpg

013_zps4063c156.jpg

014_zps1a4d4356.jpg

stuff it ,i can,t wait,got to see what it looks like silver?

015_zps8beffda5.jpg

016_zpscef1de8b.jpg

017_zps2b71451e.jpg

not too shabby,should be ok,with another coat and some detail picking out?

018_zps6b156ec9.jpg

mike,which version do you want pics of mike?

thanks for looking cheers Don

Hi,well

i tried the foil,really good stuff,....but i need to start smaller,i never realized the pre size,would grab the way it did?boy did it grab,me i put a full sheet on,and ended up wastingthree quarters of it,.....need to start smaller pieces,like the could of been finish though?

heres my first one,i,ll just go over it ,now im a bit more relaxed with the product,just started too big as usual.......thats me?

001_zps8e54dc2a.jpg

ill show you a better one next time?hopefully

cheers Don

hi, well this is a ongoing saga,im learning quite a lot,im also getting a bit of patience at last?

silver paint,i was quite pleased with that result,

got some quite expensive,staedtler silver foil/and size,....loved the finish,but far too fragile for my liking and way of working?,not enough scope for inevitable misttakes,and not very cost effective....but excellent for the smaller bits which have to go on after,so i will use that...

so last night,thought sod it,kitchen foil,looks a bit stronger,i,ll try that,so onward,thought id start small first,i did use some microscale metal foil adhesive,good stuff,you get a bit of play as well,with the size it was instant grab,so a bit of time to play is good.

if i took a bit more time,i will get a good result,or good enough for what i want,......and the best thing about kitchen foil,

its price,99p for 300 feet,how many rockets can i do with that....so heres the pic of my first attempt,it will get better?

shown next to the silver metal foil one

0012_zpsa1661bd0.jpg

so thats something else to steal from the kitchen?

cheers Don

I used kitchen foil on my CSM last year... the cheapest thinest I could find along with some of the kids PVA watered down slightly and a sharp scalpel blade... oh and lots and lots of patience!

CSM.jpg

• Like 1