Jabba

Here are a couple of photos showing the boat tail parts fitted to their respective fuselage halves.

F-14ATomcat013_zpsb0233947.jpg

F-14ATomcat014_zps7066e0d7.jpg

Hopefully I will have the fuselage halves put together and the forward fuselage part added in the not too distant future. Any comments are very welcome.

Edited by Jabba

Another quick update. The fuselage parts are now altogether, with the only real bad mosalignment being the upper part of the forward fuselage join to the rear fuselage. I managed to get the lower part very much aligned, but the upper part just would not. I do normally have this problem with hasegawa Tomcats, so it is nothing really unusual, and nothing that abit of filler will not cure. I have also filled in the joints from earlier fitting of parts, and it is not really as bad as it looks.

F-14ATomcat015_zps9c463ba3.jpg

F-14ATomcat016_zpsbe7fb319.jpg

I have also made up the engines and will be fitting them soon.

F-14ATomcat017_zps2721f51f.jpg

Any comments are very welcome.

Edited by Jabba

I think the fit problem with the fuselage upper part is something everybody building that kit has met.

On my builds I usually don't glue the top rear of the front fuselage halves together so that I can spread them if needed for a better fit. Of course this does not solve the whole problem....

Y

I think the fit problem with the fuselage upper part is something everybody building that kit has met.

On my builds I usually don't glue the top rear of the front fuselage halves together so that I can spread them if needed for a better fit. Of course this does not solve the whole problem....

Y

Having build several of these kits it still seems like a new learning experience with every one. I might give that a try on my next one, as the experimental stuff that i have tried on this one has worked so far.

I now have the fuselage altogether, and will be sanding down over the next few days. I have also added the weapon pylons that I want, although I still need to add the sidewinder pylons to the wing glove pylons. I will be looking at some photos to see how the lower pylon arrangement looks. Any comments are very welcome.

F-14ATomcat018_zps6f7610e8.jpg

F-14ATomcat019_zpsbe2c176f.jpg

F-14ATomcat020_zpse07dc23f.jpg

F-14ATomcat021_zpsb5147eae.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have not forgot about this project, but a holiday and getting two other models finished seemed to get in the way. At least this model has a simple paint scheme and no weapons to add. As i said it is a simple paint scheme which has now been done. Although not shown I have also started to apply the decals with the ones from the Repli-scale sheet going on first. I have decided to do an aircraft from VF-191 as it has slightly more colour. Any comments are very welcome.

F-14ATomcat022_zps776076e1.jpg

F-14ATomcat023_zps30bdb885.jpg

Hopefully I will have more updates shortly.

Edited by Jabba

Stencils have now been added, and since these pictures have been taken I have applied a coat of gloss varnish. I am not going to do too much weathering as the aircraft was reasonably new out of the paint shop when it was in use, and the Sqn only went to sea once to practice to go to sea, which in the end they did not as they were dis-established.

F-14ATomcat028_zps018a4fc4.jpg

F-14ATomcat029_zps42dc3612.jpg

F-14ATomcat030_zps84968176.jpg

F-14ATomcat031_zpse1206e89.jpg

I will start to add some of the smaller parts such as the U/C tonight.

Edited by Jabba

Almost there, just a few more things to add plus the plug in parts such as wings and tailplanes, and then this model will be finished. I would have posted a few more pictures, but Photobucket was being a pain in the bottom last night and only let me load up these two.

F-14ATomcat032_zps8a96deb5.jpg

F-14ATomcat033_zpsd613720d.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

Here are the other two photos that Photobucket would not let me upload the other night. The first one shows the undersides whilst the other shows the ejection seats. These still need to be weathered a touch and have the activation handles fitted at the top and by the seat pan.

Any comments are welcome.

F-14ATomcat034_zpse8ea512f.jpg

F-14ATomcat035_zpsf7602897.jpg

Hopefully after working on it last night, I will have it all finished tonight.

Edited by Jabba

All done now, and here are the only pictures that I have at the moment of the completed build. I am having a real problem uploading photos to Photobucket at this time, and as I only post when at work as it is easier, I thought that i had better post some pictures than nothing at all as this group build finishes this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to post some more on Monday.

Any comments are welcome.

F-14ATomcat036_zps3191bf3c.jpg

F-14ATomcat037_zps11236068.jpg

Edited by Jabba