Jabba

This is my entry into this group build. It is the Hasegawa F-14A Tomcat with markings for either of the two Squadrons that used this aircraft for the shortest period of time, that being about 2 years. I have not decided between either VF-191 or VF-194, but will do so very soon. More later.

The Kit.

F-14ATomcat001_zps44e93ca9.jpg

F-14ATomcat002_zps65870426.jpg

The decals from Repliscale.

F-14ATomcat003_zpsb5057c89.jpg

I will also be using some of the kits decal sheet.

Edited by Jabba

A little bit of history about this build. I am in the process of building a Tomcat of each type andfrom each squadron that used the aircraft.

Both VF-191 and VF-194 were recommissioned in Dec 1986 intended to operated with the newly established CVW-10 aboard USS Independence, which had moved from the east coast to replace USS Kitty Hawk. Both squadrons carrie out carrier qualifications between July 24th and August 5th 1987, but this was the only time that the two squadrons ever went to sea with the F-14A. "USS Independence" titles appeared on several of VF-191s assigned aircraft in 1987/1988 but no cruise was ever made. Instead both squadrons became victims of the U S Navy cuts which saw the elimination of one carrier air wing (inevitably the brand new CVW-10). As a result, after a brief flirtation with the F-14 both squadrons were disestablished on April 30th 1988. There was a plan the make these squadrons the 3rd and 4th ones to operate the F-14D, but these were cancelled when the F-14D programme itself was cut short.

The markings for both squadrons were when the F-14 markings were at there most restrained and were fairly simple in design at the time when they were disestablished. they may have got more elaberate if the squadrons had been given more time to develop them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some not so good photos of what I have done so far. The cockpit is all made up and ready to be fitted to the forward fuselage, and I have also put the wings together.

F-14ATomcat004_zpsb05965b7.jpg

F-14ATomcat005_zps615f1e0c.jpg

F-14ATomcat006_zps09f1e279.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

So Jabba you do photos like me lol look forward to

the rest of your build

Les

Yes not my best photos,my wifes point and shoot does not like close up piccies, and I can't be bothered to get my expensive camera out as it does strange things when i load it into a folder on my computer.

My camera does have macro on it, but it a different make from both my wifes and my point and shoot cameras which don't have macro, and it sends the pictures to folders on my computer that I don't where they are, so it is easier in the end, although with not so good pictures to use the point and shoot ones.

A quick update of the progress of this project. The forward fuselage is now together. I have left the nose cone off at the moment, as although I know that the model will have no problem sitting on its U/C, but just incase weight is needed this is the reason why.

F-14ATomcat009_zps6a181e69.jpg

The airbrakes have been fitted to their respective boat tails, which will then be fitted to the fuselage halves before the fuselage halves are fitted together. I did this on the last Hasegawa Tomcat that I built and found the fit to be a lot better than before.

F-14ATomcat010_zps4dfa437b.jpg

In and another departurwe from the instructions and for the first time that I ahve tried this, I have fitted the air intakes before the gluing of the fuselage halves. This seems to have gone well as the fit is better than i have achieved before especially at the rear end.

F-14ATomcat011_zpsc91cdeb5.jpg

F-14ATomcat012_zps5b1ce734.jpg

Hopefully I will have the fuselage halves together soon, and the forward part added to that. Any comments are very welcome.

Edited by Jabba

Nice work and a good tip with the intakes.

Thanks, but i don't think that i can take the credit, as I think that I have seen someone do this before on a 1/48 hasegawa kit, but this is the first time that I have tried it and it will not be the last time.

Edited by Jabba