1/48 Monogram A-4F Skyhawk

Here’s one of my older builds, the Monogram 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk, that I converted to an -F. I think the Monogram Skyhawk is is second only to the Hasegawa A-4′s, and is probably the best A-4 for the money. The biggest drawbacks are a very basic cockpit with the seat molded as part of the cockpit tub, and a too-wide forward fuselage, which makes the canopy and windscreen too flat and squashed-looking. My model was Monogram’s ‘high-tech’ boxing of the Skyhawk, which came with a small fret of photo-etched parts to help dress things up some.

I replaced the windscreen with a vacu-formed replacement, and cut away the integrally molded seat and added a True Details ESCAPAC replacement seat. The kit’s photo-etched parts provided canopy locks, catapult bridle hooks, pitot probe, and an AOA indicator (which I have since lost!). The AGM-12B Bullpup guided missiles came from the HobbyBoss FJ-4B Fury kit, which replaced some less-accurate examples I had scrounged from an old Monogram F-100 kit. I added an in-flight refuleing probe light to the right intake, and tried to make it more resemble -F configuration by adding a UHF antenna to the upper spine and nosewheel steering mechanisim from a Hasegawa A-4 kit. The -F version also had wing spoilers and armor plate around the cockpit, but I didn’t try to recreate those.

The markings came from a long out-of-production sheet from Third Group Decals, which depict an A-4F from VA-144 ‘Roadrunners’, deployed aboard USS Bonne Homme Richard in 1969.

A-4Fp1_zpsf51a9b67.jpg

A-4Fp2_zpsf191a42a.jpg

A-4Fp3_zpsf7484e8e.jpg

A-4Fp4_zps58d3e5ba.jpg

A-4F5_zps325875a9.jpg

Edited by pjman792
  • Like 4

Nice build with a good recovery using the Vac form canopy and ESCAPAC ejector seat. Details like that really do turn a more budget kit into something as compaarable to a high quality build.

A little critque if I may, the wash or pigment you used appears to look a too stark. Black is often too harsh for a panel line wash or to highlight details. Either a smoke colour or a black/brown mix in a very thin wash can give a more convincing look. Oil washes with a grey colour to it are more suited to panel line washes thinned with Turpentine or White Spirit and the smoke or Black/brown mix is more suited to internal details like landing gear and gun bays. Hope this helps.

Regards from New Zealand

• Like 1

Nice build with a good recovery using the Vac form canopy and ESCAPAC ejector seat. Details like that really do turn a more budget kit into something as compaarable to a high quality build.

A little critque if I may, the wash or pigment you used appears to look a too stark. Black is often too harsh for a panel line wash or to highlight details. Either a smoke colour or a black/brown mix in a very thin wash can give a more convincing look. Oil washes with a grey colour to it are more suited to panel line washes thinned with Turpentine or White Spirit and the smoke or Black/brown mix is more suited to internal details like landing gear and gun bays. Hope this helps.

Regards from New Zealand

Thanks very much for your constructive comments! You're right about the wash being too stark - this is one of my older builds, completed about ten years ago, and I have since altered my wash technique using the methods you suggest. Take a look at my 1/48 Hasegawa A-4C Skyhawk I posted on here and see if you think the wash I applied looks any better.

Best regards, and thanks again,

Drew

Thanks very much for your constructive comments! You're right about the wash being too stark - this is one of my older builds, completed about ten years ago, and I have since altered my wash technique using the methods you suggest. Take a look at my 1/48 Hasegawa A-4C Skyhawk I posted on here and see if you think the wash I applied looks any better.

Best regards, and thanks again,

Drew

Hi Drew.

Just looked at your A-4C build and the wash does look more toned down. Still as well presented as your Monogram Skyhawk. Washes are one of my problems sometimes as well. I always find that it is easier to start with a very weak mix and then I can always make it darker. It's very hard to go back if the wash is too deep in colour. Good work.

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Drew.

Just looked at your A-4C build and the wash does look more toned down. Still as well presented as your Monogram Skyhawk. Washes are one of my problems sometimes as well. I always find that it is easier to start with a very weak mix and then I can always make it darker. It's very hard to go back if the wash is too deep in colour. Good work.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew! It usually takes me a few months to finish a kit, so I don't have much recent work to post, which is why I submitted pics of the older Monogram Skyhawk. Thanks again for your comments!

Cheers,

Drew

• Like 1