RAF Two Tone Blue Roundels

ANovaScotian

Hey All.

I've recently acquired the Academy 1/48 Bubbletop Thunderbolt and having had atrocious results with previous attempts to use Academy decals, I've planned to use decals from other sources.

I'm considering finishing it in RAF, China-Burma-India camouflage (Dark Green, Dark Earth, Med. Sea Grey) and instead of sourcing an aftermarket decal sheet I'm contemplating buying either Italeri's "new" Spitfire Mk Vc or Hasegawa's Spitfire Mk VIII "Against Japan" kit as they both contain the appropriate light blue/dark blue roundels and fin flashs (sort of a "two birds, one stone" approach).
My question is...

Were all the two tone blue roundels the same size regardless of the aircraft or were there slight size variations as with the traditional RAF roundels?

Any info on how either of these Spitfire kits build up would be equally appreciated

Much Appreciated

Kyle

Edited by KHood

Were all the two tone blue roundels the same size regardless of the aircraft or were there slight size variations as with the traditional RAF roundels?

Any info on how either of these Spitfire kits build up would be equally appreciated

I think the roundels were the same size, but other here will know more.

Italeri Spitfire, but think it's a rebox of Special Hobby/Eduard etc

see here -http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937566-spitfire-vc-148-italeri/

Not the easiest of kits, but makes into a decent model with work. Current Italeri decals seem good tho, so if you can get the Italeri kit cheap then it's worth getting.

The hasegawa VIII has the same problem of their IX, a too short fuselage. Countlesss threads on that! Looks fine until you put it next to a correct Spitfire.

you may find this of use for reference as well, P-47 in SEAC

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48115

T

There were three sizes:- small (fighters, trainers) 16" with 6" centre; medium 32" with 12"; large 48" with 18" centre. Fin flashes were all 24" tall, with small having two strips 8" wide, medium 2 x 11", and large 2 x 17".

Edgar

Hi, all,

Adding to what Edgar has just said.

In the early days of the SEAC insignia, it was not uncommon to just paint the REd center (or the White and Red center) in India White. That's commonly seen in East India Fleet aircraft, and large aircraft such as Wellington and Liberators (though it may very well be that the official larger sizes matched the normal insignia size); some PR Spifires are also seen that way.

Thunderbolts used the small size, however big they are.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

At first, permission was only asked (and eventually given) to remove the red from roundels. Experience showed that the white was too stark, and easily seen, so further permission was sought (and eventually granted) to replace the white with the toned-down blue.

As usual, the powers-that-be couldn't leave it to those at the sharp end, so issued a precise formula of blue + white for the new colour.

Edgar

Hi, Edgar,

True. That's why we see 155 Sqn Mohawks with big White roundel centers, and Hurricane AP894 "C" of 135 Sqn also. Before that, we see 17 Sqn Hurricanes, like BE171, YB- B, with the upper wing roundel converted into an "A Type" (heralding the practice approved in February 1945).

But much later than that we still have 681 Sqn Spitfire PR.XIs (i.e., FL773) which clearly show the usual PR roundel with the centre in India White, beside others with the regulation small sized insignia.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've put the Thunderbolt to the bottom of the to-do list for the time being.

Work in Progress do you have anymore information about that Eduard Mk VII Spitfire? I didn't think that the Mk VII was used in South East Asia

Edited by KHood

As posted by Jennings in another thread: page 4 of this:

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2013/info-eduard-2013-08EN.pdf

"Right now, the design

of the Spitfire Mk.VIII is underway, and a part
of this development process will extend to the
photo reconnaissance Mk.XI, and also the bubble

canopied Mk.XVI"